Talk of the Town discussion

The Library at Mount Char
This topic is about The Library at Mount Char
#1B: The Library at Mount Char > First Impressions?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

PB (darlingdarcy) | 168 comments Mod
From the very beginning, it was definitely weird...

My first impression of it was it was going to be a thriller/suspense kind of genre or maybe a detective/crime novel.. did anyone feel this way over the first few descriptive paragraphs?

Caele | 32 comments I thought it was going to be more fantasy with a little bit of science fiction (if that's even the right description for what I really thought it would be).
But starting it, I just plain thought it was WEIRD! It doesn't seem, so far, to fit into any genre very well. Kind of mystery, kind of fantasy, kind of...

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 10 comments So far I have found it pretty weird...and a little dark. And I have one tiny issue with it that keeps nagging at me lol.

message 4: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie wrote: "So far I have found it pretty weird...and a little dark. And I have one tiny issue with it that keeps nagging at me lol."

It gets better though... the great parts don't happen until about the last quarter of the book.

What's your little issue with it, I'm curious now?

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 10 comments Ok. So Carolyn can speak all languages. We know this applies to animals because in the very beginning of the book she is with Asha and Isha. But yet she has issues talking to Michael because he forgets how to speak their original language because he is gone with the beasts (animals) all the time. So why does she not just talk to him in one of the animal languages? I know they can't cross over into each others catalog, but obviously animals kind of fall into both of theirs.

message 6: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie wrote: "Ok. So Carolyn can speak all languages. We know this applies to animals because in the very beginning of the book she is with Asha and Isha. But yet she has issues talking to Michael because he fo..."

From my understanding, Carolyn can only learn the animal languages to a point...with her catalog. The reason was never told, I don't think, unless I missed it.
I think that there is a depth to Michael's knowledge of the animal language that is unattainable for Carolyn, with only her catalog.

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 10 comments Peachy wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ok. So Carolyn can speak all languages. We know this applies to animals because in the very beginning of the book she is with Asha and Isha. But yet she has issues talking to Mic..."

So far it hasn't been explained thus far as I have seen. But if that is the case...how could Father expect her to find the words to comfort Isha and Asha? I would think her skill would allow her to atleast communicate with him. She is meant to be fluent in all languages.

Idk. It is just a little loophole that annoys me lol.

message 8: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie wrote: "Peachy wrote: "Stephanie wrote: "Ok. So Carolyn can speak all languages. We know this applies to animals because in the very beginning of the book she is with Asha and Isha. But yet she has issues..."

Yeah, I don't want to ruin anything by referencing anything that happens later on. But I hope you find the rest of the book entertaining, at the least. :)

Christie (spookychristie) So far I find this book very, very weird. I am enjoying it so far, and trying to figure out what all the catalogs are for. I am having a hard time imagining where the remainder of the story will head off to, unless it is simply a search for Father. I also really enjoyed Steve, despite him being a 'Buddhist Asshole.'

Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes) (imjustcupcake) | 10 comments The chapter titles in this book can be pretty entertaining lol

message 11: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christie wrote: "So far I find this book very, very weird. I am enjoying it so far, and trying to figure out what all the catalogs are for. I am having a hard time imagining where the remainder of the story will he..."

Keep going. Believe me, there is a point to all of this :)

message 12: by PB (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie wrote: "The chapter titles in this book can be pretty entertaining lol"

Haha yeah. Very descriptive.