You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Preparation > September 2015 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Aug 16, 2015 07:57AM) (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments In September we will be reading books which have one of the character's names in the book title.

So if you have a book suggestion, go ahead and nominate it.

Or you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered twice in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Nominations close 23rd August.

message 2: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15356 comments I nominate one that I bought a while ago and would love to read soon: The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I nominate Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

message 4: by Tasha (new)

Tasha Ooh, I'll second Marina.

I've read The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow and gave it 4 stars. A beautifully written story.

message 5: by Lanelle (last edited Aug 19, 2015 05:30PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3203 comments I'm going to nominate a book from one of my favorite authors, Georgette Heyer.
It is The Grand Sophy.

message 6: by Ariane (new)

Ariane | 697 comments I nominate Elizabeth Is Missing; I saw it at the Library and really want to read it

message 7: by Silver (new)

Silver | 490 comments I nominate Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

I saw a preview for the movie and it looked potentially intriguing and I noticed it was based on a book, and it sounded like the quirky sort of thing I might enjoy.

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15356 comments Lisa wrote: "I nominate Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafón"

I read that a while ago and really enjoyed it!

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments I nominate WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT KEVIN.
(I'll edit my post with the link as soon I'm in my computer)

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Aug 16, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I didn't think I had any books with character names in the title. Until you nominated that Sandra. I'll second We Need to Talk About Kevin. I've wanted to read it for ages and i already own it.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments I added your nomination to my wishlist Peggy. Sounds like it could be good. Only two of my GR friends have read it - one gave it 5 stars and the other 2 stars - could be another marmite book.

message 12: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Lanelle wrote: "I'm going to nominate a book from one of my favorite authors, Georgette Heyer. It is The Grand Sophy."

I loved The Grand Sophy. The Nonesuch should be great too

message 13: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Lanelle wrote: "I'm going to nominate a book from one of my favorite authors, Georgette Heyer. It is The Grand Sophy."

I think I'll second this!

message 14: by Elsbeth (new)

Elsbeth (elsbethgm) | 1136 comments Lanelle wrote: "I'm going to nominate a book from one of my favorite authors, Georgette Heyer. It is The Grand Sophy."

I think I'll second this!

message 15: by Colleen (new)

Colleen (colls) | 114 comments Silver wrote: "I nominate Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

I saw a preview for the movie and it looked potentially intriguing and I noticed it was based on a book, and it sounded like the quirky so..."

I'll second this nomination

message 16: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Sarah wrote: "I didn't think I had any books with character names in the title. Until you nominated that Sandra. I'll second We Need to Talk About Kevin. I've wanted to read it for ages and i alread..."

Thanks for the link, Sarah. :)

message 17: by Kirila (new)

Kirila | 612 comments I am nominating The Picture of Dorian Gray. I can't believe I still haven't read it...

message 18: by Roz (new)

Roz | 3719 comments I know it received mixed reviews but I'd like to nominate Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker.

message 19: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I also second Me, Earl and the Dying Girl.

message 20: by Amanda (Mandy) (new)

Amanda (Mandy) | 646 comments I nominate Still Alice.

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Peggy wrote: "I nominate one that I bought a while ago and would love to read soon: The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow"

I second this one!

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1731 comments Kirila wrote: "I am nominating The Picture of Dorian Gray. I can't believe I still haven't read it..."

I'll second this.

message 23: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Is it okay if the titular character's name appears in the subtitle? If so, i will nominate The Good Good Pig The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood by Sy Montgomery The Good Good Pig: The Extraordinary Life of Christopher Hogwood.

message 24: by Kerri (new)

Kerri I nominate Sarah Canary

message 25: by Susan (new)

Susan Guard | 695 comments Amanda (Mandy) wrote: "I nominate Still Alice."

I read Still Alice for the last team toppler and highly recommend it.

message 26: by Lilisa (new)

message 27: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Dawn wrote: "Kirila wrote: "I am nominating The Picture of Dorian Gray. I can't believe I still haven't read it..."

I'll second this."

Is a very good book!

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Good question TJ. I'm going to say... Yes, the character name can appear in the subtitle or main title.

message 29: by Jayme (last edited Aug 18, 2015 07:10AM) (new)

Jayme | 2543 comments I would like to nominate A Man Called Ove. I just read Backman's latest book My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry and loved it. A Man Called Ove has a rating of 4.31 on GR.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments There are a lot of great books being nominated this month! It's going to be interesting to see which two get picked.

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Aug 19, 2015 01:56AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15356 comments I agree Lisa. Most of the nominated books I have either read, were on my tbr already or they are on there now.

message 32: by Tammy (last edited Aug 19, 2015 06:41AM) (new)

Tammy Burger (tammyburger) | 494 comments So many sound good, not sure I could pick just one. But would like to nominate Christy. An oldie, but goodie.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14183 comments I won't nominate it, because I think it's too long (600 pages) but I plan to read Hello From the Gillespies. Last names work, right?

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Yes surnames count too.

message 35: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 1 comments I have been wanting to read Flowers for Algernon

message 36: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments I'd like to nominate Mrs. Dalloway, it's a quick read, and I've always meant to read it. Plus it'd kill two birds with one stone: the monthly read, plus my personal desire to read a classic novel a month!

message 37: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20272 comments Good one, Lynda. I can't second it because I already seconded another but I will join you in reading her. She has been on my forgotten-classics list to read for a long time.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments The fruit machine is going to be busy this month whittling all the nominations down for the poll.

message 39: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2543 comments Tammy wrote: "So many sound good, not sure I could pick just one. But would like to nominate Christy. An oldie, but goodie."

I can't second Christy because I already nominated a book, but this is the book that I read as a young girl that made me want to be a teacher.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments We have had 16 books nominated this month and we still have two days before I close this thread and post the poll. So I'm asking for no more new nominations - feel free to second any of the ones already listed if you haven't already nominated/seconded already.

message 41: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Lynda wrote: "I'd like to nominate Mrs. Dalloway, it's a quick read, and I've always meant to read it. Plus it'd kill two birds with one stone: the monthly read, plus my personal desire to read a c..."

I'll join too if I have enough time, Lynda.

message 42: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9571 comments Sarah wrote: "We have had 16 books nominated this month and we still have two days before I close this thread and post the poll. So I'm asking for no more new nominations - feel free to second any of the ones al..."

:) We are having a Baby Boom of nominations!

message 43: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I'll second The Picture of Dorian Gray, I've been wanting to read that one for ages!

message 44: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2641 comments I'll second The Grand Sophy.

message 45: by Lynda (new)

Lynda | 836 comments Cherie and Sandra, I look forward to reading it with you both, excited to tick off another bucket list book!

message 46: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments We Need to Talk About Kevin is on my TBR too. So I 2nd or 3rd it or whatever. lol

message 47: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 6542 comments The Picture of Dorian Gray: An Annotated, Uncensored Edition is the best version to read. It's annotated and uncensored.

message 48: by Mariab (new)

Mariab | 3059 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have been wanting to read Flowers for Algernon"

great book!

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18196 comments Nominations are now closed.