What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Cages of Glass, Flowers of Time
This topic is about Cages of Glass, Flowers of Time
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA novel, 1980s, about a girl living with a neglectful/abusive mother [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy Miller | 4 comments Looking for a YA novel, 1980s, title and author unknown. About a girl living with a neglectful/abusive mother. In one scene, her mom leaves her alone in the house for days with no food (may or may not have locked her in) and when she comes home, tosses some groceries at the girl, who opens a can of spaghettios (or similar food) and the girl eats the contents of the can ravenously while the mom calls her an animal. I think the girl takes up painting (with watercolors?) under the tutelage of a neighbor. Title might include words like house of..., child of..., glass, light.

message 3: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy Miller | 4 comments Nancy, you are my hero!!! I have searching for this book my entire adult life! It made such a huge impact on me as a girl and it's always been a fleeting memory that I haven't been able to shake. I'm still in shock that you solved my great literary quest. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 4: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I'm so glad it was the right book! I remember being very deeply touched by this book, but I can't remember the plot details very well -- I definitely want/need to re-read it now.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Duplicate thread deleted.

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy Miller | 4 comments As soon as you responded I went online and found the book used from an Amazon vendor. It was expensive but worth every penny. It arrived yesterday afternoon and I took one look at the cover and knew that was the right book. When I read the first few lines, I was transported back to my teenage self. That book was so powerful for me back then. I will savor every word. Thank you again for helping me find it. I'm so grateful!

message 7: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments I'm so happy that you've been reunited with your book!

message 8: by Chelsa (new)

Chelsa Simpson | 2 comments I can't even begin to describe how happy I am that I found this post! I've been looking for this book for years and couldn't remember its name. I first came across the book on my older sister's bookshelf and something about the cover photo drew me to it. I must have read it at least 5 times before losing it. Like you, Chrissy, I've never quite been able to shake the memory of this book and I can't wait to read it again!!
Thank you so much, Nancy!

message 9: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments Hooray! There's always hope we'll be reunited with our lost books :)

message 10: by Chelsa (new)

Chelsa Simpson | 2 comments My book just came in the mail yesterday! As soon as I opened it and saw the cover I was overcome with emotion. I'm so happy to have this little piece of my childhood back! Thank you again, Nancy!

message 11: by N (new) - rated it 5 stars

N (kaxxie) | 104 comments You're so welcome!