Stumbling on Happiness Stumbling on Happiness discussion

upon finishing...

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joyce (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joyce so, this book does start out and end with some very cool and read-worthy info about how our brains work and how they misguide our pursuits for happiness. getting from beginning to end, though, is something of a trek. To Gilbert's credit, he backs up his ideas with solid research examples. many of them. but, as informative as they are, they tend to get tedious, unless you're a psych student or someone who really enjoys statistical studies...

still worth it overall.

Isabella Tugman Agreed

Felix Hey Joyce, you're quite right! I just finished the book after reading it on and off for about 2 weeks and in the end I ended up feeling like I had a great time but really didn't get much out of it. Weird. Probably my brain playing tricks again :-)

It was an eye opener to me though how imagination and thoughts of the future is really influenced by the past and the present.

Shakespeare's comments that "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so" is spot on with this book. The brain really influences how we feel about anything... and in certain respects we can control that feeling (I think) :-)

Erik Johnson A good supplement is the PBS documentary based on this book. I am on my second time reading this book and I am taking more time to really absorb what he has to say. There is a lot to learn here.

Wendy Larken Erik wrote: "A good supplement is the PBS documentary based on this book. I am on my second time reading this book and I am taking more time to really absorb what he has to say. There is a lot to learn here."

I loved this book, but I didn't realize there was a PBS special. Just looked it up online. Thanks!

Erik Johnson You're welcome, Wendy!

Christine Sparacino Dan Gilbert also has a TED talk on the subject that's good.

Erik Johnson Thank you, Christine!

Vijaya The author has explained it beautifully with solid reasoning and examples why our reactions are not the same as we would have expected them to be when we actually come across the situation most of the times.

Even for a non psychology background its good to know the chemistry going within our brain to understand why we feel or react the way we do.