Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

Book to TV-Show

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Who knew?
Some of my favourite tv-shows (or ones I watch)were adapted from books.

*HOMELAND (Israeli book series, In english it's called Prisoners of war by Gideon Raff)I have never read the book.

*TRUE BLOOD(Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris) I don't like much fiction reading but when i did try and read it I wasn't interested.

*SEX AND THE CITY (Candace Bushnell) Book is nothing like the show - the show ran with the subject matter. (Bushnell also adapted her SATC prequel The Carrie Diaries into a show of same name)

Currently MASTERS OF SEX was adapted from book by Thomas Mainer (book same title)

I found out some popular programs I haven't seen were based off books-
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS
GOSSIP GIRL
DEXTER....

who knew?

message 2: by Maya (last edited Mar 24, 2016 05:13AM) (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Big Little Lies Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies is an upcoming American television comedy series created by David E. Kelley, based on the book of the same name by Liane Moriarty. The series will air on HBO.[1] The pilot episode was written by Kelley. Seven episodes will complete the limited series' first season and all of them will be directed by the Canadian director Jean-Marc Vallée.[2] The series began filming in January 2016.[3]

Cast and characters[edit]
Nicole Kidman as Celeste Wright[1]
Reese Witherspoon as Madeline Mackenzie[1]
Alexander Skarsgård as Perry Wright[4]
James Tupper as Nathan[4]
Kathryn Newton as Abigail Mackenzie[5]
Shailene Woodley as Jane Chapman[6]
Laura Dern as Renata Klein[5]
Adam Scott as Ed Mackenzie[5]
Zoë Kravitz as Bonnie Carlson[7]
Iain Armitage as Ziggy Chapman[8]
Merrin Dungey[9]
Larry Sullivan[9]
David Monahan[9]

message 3: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments The Husband's Secret The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty

CBS Films has pre-emptively acquired the rights to Liane Moriarty's novel, The Husband's Secret.

message 4: by Kerry (last edited Mar 24, 2016 07:51AM) (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Thanks Maya! BIG LITTLE LIES sounds great! ( I love good solid character development) I have just added it (have u read it?)...altho i accidently read an idiots spoiler :/ .... what a great cast aswell ( having only read charcter outlines, would seem Nicoles better suited to \madeline and reese to celeste? .....who knows as this is first ive heard)

11/22/63 also a series currently showing
The Run of His Life : The People versus O. J. Simpson curretly adapted into a series

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I have had both books on my TBR list forever. I guess I better get to reading these LOL

message 6: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hahaha, was just looking up the author Leianne, and although i dont read a lot of fiction- big little lies and what alice forgot, seem like goodies

message 7: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I keep hearing good things about this author. I always get excited for books turning to movies

message 8: by Simon (new)

Simon (siid) | 27 comments Has any of you seen/read Zoo by James Patterson?

I read Zoo some time last year and thought is was mediocre at best...I loved the idea of it however. I'd hope that the tv-show would take the good idea and build it into a better show, yet I fear that it it is just another soulless, mainstream adaptation .

So, any thoughts on the show...or the book?

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments ZOO: hey Simon I know of the book and TV series. the book is not up my alley but the TV series I've just avoided. not sure why just as you mentioned. it being possibly 'mainstream' I've not been too interested. (btw I saw MARTIAN and made comment in other thread)

message 10: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Simon wrote: "Has any of you seen/read Zoo by James Patterson?

I read Zoo some time last year and thought is was mediocre at best...I loved the idea of it however. I'd hope that the tv-show would take the good ..."

I have seen Zoo and I attempted to read the book. I could not get into either

message 11: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Queen of the South Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

my current read. the tv show starts in June

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH tells the powerful story of Teresa Mendoza, a woman who is forced to run and seek refuge in America after her drug-dealing boyfriend is unexpectedly murdered in Mexico. In the process, she teams up with an unlikely figure from her past to bring down the leader of the very drug trafficking ring that has her on the run.

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments hmmm sounds intense, intelligent and like it could be a thrilling series. hows the book?

message 13: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Good so far!

message 14: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments Maya wrote: "Queen of the South Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte

my current read. the tv show starts in June

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH tells the powerful story of Teresa Mendoza, a woman who is ..."

Adding this to my list....it sounds like it's right up my alley. lol

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Yes Lulu I felt the same way. I haven't read anything like this since the Godfather series

message 16: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I enjoyed Queen of the south. Mario Puzo is the only other author I know that writes about violence. If anyone knows of any other authors, please share. Thanks!

message 17: by Ducky (new)

Ducky | 6 comments Orange is the new black, sherlock, game of thrones, house of cards, outlander, hannibal,bones, gossip girl and Archer are also based off books

message 18: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments That they are thanks Sarah :) - Didn't know House of Cards was,,,,, I am going to embark on that series soon. :)
Love GOT (show) and Likes OITNB Book show i cant stand :(

message 19: by Simon (last edited May 01, 2017 12:09PM) (new)

Simon (siid) | 27 comments Just finished reading Thirteen Reasons Why and I got to admit, that it was kind of disappointed. The story sounded interesting, and since there is this new show on Netflix as well, I thought it was about time to read the book. Characters were weak and oftentimes clichéd . Yet I guess, that among the YA-audience this book (and probably the show as well) is a big, big hit. After reading the book, I guess I’ll skip the show:)

message 20: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Good to know Simon. I am trying to finish netflix series 13 reasons and for some reason its not holding my attention. I 'll pass on reading the book

message 21: by Portia (new)

Portia (portiagabrielle) Anyone caught the first episode of American Gods? Thoughts?

Personally I love it, I've been waiting so long for it to start and the casting is spot on. Looking forward to seeing how they adapt certain scenes and expand on different characters.

message 22: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments SIMON/MAYA
I read most of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher last year and I AGREE SIMON I didnt enjoy. I liked the concept which is why I read it but it didnt hold for me. I AM currently and ALMOST DONE with the TV SERIES ON NETFLIX and Im half half on it.

its meant for todays young adults and thats where I need to put it. Its powerful storytelling for them and I think the show is good for todays kids.

PORTIA- YES i watched MOST of episode one. not being a sci fi fan but interested in religious things, ill admit i only watched it knowing Jonathan Tucker (from Kingdom who is great) was appearing in it. I DIDNT like it and wont read the book. :( American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman

message 23: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I started back watching the netflix series 13 reasons. I'm not going to read the book but I will finish the tv show. It has picked up a lot and now I cant get enough lol

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Maya wrote: "I started back watching the netflix series 13 reasons. I'm not going to read the book but I will finish the tv show. It has picked up a lot and now I cant get enough lol"

hahaha, well be it good or bad, I shall open up a 13 reasons link as everyone has an opinion and has read or viewed it (btw im at the last 2 eps and i agree its picked up more , as bad as that sounds.)

Looks like AMERICAN GODS will be getting a link and buddy up for many aswell

message 25: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments digging YOU netflix series that I'm reading the book. loving it

message 26: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments The show makes me love Joe. lol. The books are really good.

message 27: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Haha me too lulu!

message 28: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Back in the 70s up until maybe the 90s, a big thing in TV was the "novel for television" - miniseries based on popular books. They did Shogun, The Thornbirds, QBVII, The Winds of War, North and South, Roots, Salem's Lot, Lonesome Dove. You can watch some on youtube, some streaming services have them. Apparently this was must-see-TV way before HBO, Hulu etc did series.