What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young adult novel, late 80s or early 90s, older sister of quadruplets? [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cora (new)

Cora  | 9 comments I actually did a search for this, and it seems someone was once looking for the very same book, here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

But neither of the suggestions made seems to have been it, or at least it's not the one I recall. The first book suggested, Brother Brother Sister Sister, by Helen Dunmore, was published in 1999. The book I recall reading had to have been published in the 80s or early 90s, because I read it in middle school, 1993-1996.

It's not Sister of the Quints either, because that was a fave of mine too, and I always linked it in my mind with this other book, which was also about an older sister of multiples. I'm almost positive they were quadruplets, but there's a slight chance they were triplets. And for some reason I'm thinking that they were all boys, but I don't know if that's correct. As the original query by the other user stated, one of the babies was sick and had to remain in the hospital for a long time after the other three had come home. That baby may possibly even have died in the end? (Sorry for the spoiler if so, but I'm not sure about it.)

This was a slightly more serious, darker book than Sister of the Quints, it dealt with all the stress and chaos of having newborn multiples, and the toll it took on the main character's parents. Does it ring a bell for anyone?

message 2: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Maybe Dorrie's Book by Marilyn Sachs? It has triplets though, not quadruplets.

message 3: by Cora (new)

Cora  | 9 comments Hmmm...that's a possibility, but I definitely don't remember the book having illustrations, which apparently that one does. And it sounds a bit more light-hearted than how I remember the story. I want to say that three of the babies were brought home, but the small/sick one remained at the hospital and the mother was frequently there with that one, and so a lot of the responsibility for caring for the babies fell onto the girl and her dad? I seem to remember a scene where they finally got all of them to sleep at the same time and were very proud of themselves.

And I think the girl was adopted, so she was also scared that her parents would love their biological children more than they loved her.

I wish I could remember more about it. I've been trying to find this title for so many years with no luck, if it wasn't for the other thread by a different user, I would honestly think I'd imagined the whole thing!

message 4: by Cora (new)

Cora  | 9 comments Well, whaddya know, I literally JUST FOUND IT. I've been running google searches for this book for years, but I tried one I've never tried, thinking these words might be in the book summary: "when her mother gives birth to quadruplets." It returned one search result: http://www.state.lib.la.us/klasweb/ti...

The Goodreads description for the book doesn't include the word "quadruplets," maybe that's why I couldn't find it here, but this is definitely it. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

I guess this one is solved now!

message 5: by Holly (last edited Aug 16, 2015 12:58AM) (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments I'm glad you could find it! Yeah, doesn't look like 'quadruplets' is mentioned in all of the book summaries - maybe it's supposed to be a surprise in the book, haha

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dorrie's Book (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Marilyn Sachs (other topics)