2021 Reading Challenge discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Part 4 and Epilogue (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments This is the discussion thread for Part 4 and the Epilogue of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

message 2: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments Hey everybody!I'm the discussion leader for this month and I'm superexcited about it(since it's my first time :)) ).Actually I have read thd book once,and in my opinion every one needs a simple book such as this one,once in a while.You can just lose yourself in a teenager's memories and once more,realise how it feels to be a teenager. (Although I-as an Iranian- had a completely different high school period, but the feelings are pretty much the same :) )
Finally,I hope everybody can join our group read and I'm looking forward to reading all the comments.
Happy reading :)

Jennifer | 95 comments To quote Charlie, “The movie [book] itself was very interesting, but I didn’t think it was very good because I didn’t really feel different when it was over."

That may be a bit harsh, I didn't dislike it, there were some very sweet sections, but I feel as though it were trying too hard; as if the author collected all possible teen problems and made a checklist for Charlie to experience in the process of a year. But, I'm old and cranky now and it may be that I can just no longer relate to teen angst. I don't feel it has the long term power of a Catcher in the Rye or a Separate Peace, but certainly hits upon the confusion and trauma of adolescents.

message 4: by Cynthia (last edited Sep 11, 2015 04:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynthia (cynthiabeaudry) | 157 comments That last part of the book was quite troubling... I loved that last speech from Sam. It makes you realize that we should never forget who we truly are. So many people are acting as they should and not the way they want. It's going to bounce back one day or the other so there's no point in doing it.

I'm quite puzzled as to why Charlie spent 2 months in the hospital... I don't know anyone who's been sexually abused when younger so I can't relate. But I feel it's a long time in the hospital...

I agree with you Jennifer that the author did seem to make a checklist of experiences but, on the contrary, I think that many teenagers come to face with all of that while in high school. The differences are that many won't fall to it where Charlie is quite vulnerable and childish so he get's hooked...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.