2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > The Perks of Being a Wallflower: Part 1 (Contains Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1912 comments This is the discussion thread for Part One of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Jennifer | 95 comments Someone mentioned that this was a quick read, and they weren't kidding. I read this part just this morning before getting ready for work.

As a teenager of the 90s, I appreciate the pop culture references, even those that are not explicitly named, but are so obvious to me because of the time frame. I find some of the things that Charlie witnessed disturbing but his attitude and lack of understanding puzzle me. Is he autistic?

Laurie | 2 comments Was thinking exactly the same thing. I am not sure how the author was trying to portray Charlie (and never saw the movie), but definitely seemed like it was more than him as a "wallflower". I also thought he seemed like a high functioning autistic.
I am not sure what I think about this so far - not sure that I am really that into this story. I am usually not a huge fan of young adult fiction, so perhaps I should have expected this. But, I am hanging in there - especially since it is such a quick read!

message 4: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments Hey everybody!I'm the discussion leader for this month and I'm superexcited about it(since it's my first time :)) ).Actually I have read thd book once,and in my opinion every one needs a simple book such as this one,once in a while.You can just lose yourself in a teenager's memories and once more,realise how it feels to be a teenager. (Although I-as an Iranian- had a completely different high school period, but the feelings are pretty much the same :) )
Finally,I hope everybody can join our group read and I'm looking forward to reading all the comments.
Happy reading :)

message 5: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments Jennifer wrote: "Someone mentioned that this was a quick read, and they weren't kidding. I read this part just this morning before getting ready for work.

As a teenager of the 90s, I appreciate the pop culture re..."

I actually like the idea of charlie,being an autistic.But I'm not sure,if we went back in time and start writing a letter as a teenager,how that letter would appear to adults?

message 6: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments I actually have a question for the readers.
Who do you think these letters are for?

Jennifer | 95 comments My initial thought was that the letters were for his aunt, but then I remembered that he mentioned it being someone who had talked about after his friend Michael died. I think it's just a stranger. But when you really think about it, it's a bit creepy. I wonder how the person who relieved them felt.

Cynthia (cynthiabeaudry) | 157 comments Hi! I don't think the letters were ever intended to someone... I think he was told that it's a good way to express his feelings. I had a friend in high school who had anxiousness and she was told to write a journal to help her. I believe it's the same here...

I do have a question though... Does the word "wallflower" has a different meaning than the flower in English? I'm a bit puzzled by that...

As other have said, I find that Charlie has gone through a lot even though he doesn't realizes... I mean, it would be highly traumatic to see a girl being raped right in front of your eyes!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.