2022 Reading Challenge discussion

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
This topic is about The Perks of Being a Wallflower
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2015 > The Perks of Being a Wallflower: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jodi (last edited Aug 15, 2015 07:42PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jodi (readinbooks) | 1922 comments Our September Group Read will be: The Perks of Being a Wallflower By: Stephen Chbosky.

Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

Our discussion leader for this book will be Mahsa! Thank you so much Mahsa :)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments By far one of my favorite books I've ever read! To anyone partaking in this months group read, ENJOY!!

message 3: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments Hey everybody!I'm the discussion leader for this month and I'm superexcited about it(since it's my first time :)) ).Actually I have read thd book once,and in my opinion every one needs a simple book such as this one,once in a while.You can just lose yourself in a teenager's memories and once more,realise how it feels to be a teenager. (Although I-as an Iranian- had a completely different high school period, but the feelings are pretty much the same :) )
Finally,I hope everybody can join our group read and I'm looking forward to reading all the comments.
Happy reading :)

Cynthia (cynthiabeaudry) | 157 comments Hi!
I'll join on this group read! I've seen the movie when it came out and didn't like it. But some of my friends had read the book and thought it was wonderful. So I'll give it a try :)

message 5: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Contrary to Cynthia, I've seen the movie not long ago and I really liked it, so I'm very curious to read the book. I don't know if I'll be able to take part in the group read, though, since I'm currently moving house and have lots to do... We'll see. I will read your spoiler-free discussion anyway.

message 6: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments The interesting point about the movie,is the director that is the same person as the author.As a person that had read and watched both,I prefer the book :)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 813 comments I didn't even know there was a movie! I'm in, this book is on my TBR list.

Silver Khan | 4 comments Read the book and seen the movie... both vr gr8!
Its a epistolary novel. The story is simple and good. Also well-written.
Charlie is a sweet person & didnt knw what hr aunt did 2 hm whn he wz a child. While in school he made few, good and caring friends. And whn he realizd wht realy did happen 2 hm as a child, he got admitted in a hospital. Thn therz ths happy ending.

message 9: by Mahsa (new) - added it

Mahsa Ghoraian | 72 comments I wish you could avoid posting the spoilers.Thanks a lot :)

message 10: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) It also says "Spoiler free" in the title ;-)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed this book and found the way the author presented was fun

Nikki (fetchsomepopcorn) | 26 comments Been looking for a book to read and now I have one. This is why I really enjoy this group and the discussions.

Ardica | 20 comments How many pages are in each of the 4 parts of the book?

Nikki (fetchsomepopcorn) | 26 comments 213 pages all together. Probably not the answer you're looking for, but hope it helps.

message 15: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz | 133 comments i enjoyed it. wont watch the movie i dont think. not my sort of genre but it was a good and easy read despite the issues presented in the story.

Kimberly Kimberly I read and enjoyed this book. I always like books that have a music element to them. I hope the group finds it enjoyable, as well.

message 17: by Kate (new)

Kate ✨ is a dreamer I actually just bought this book, yay! Can't wait to participate...!

message 18: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex Inocencio (saeinocencio) | 4 comments I've watched the movie about a year ago and I just finished reading it a few days back. I liked the book better.

Nikki (fetchsomepopcorn) | 26 comments Read this book in three days, that's how much I enjoyed it. Going to watch the movie next.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.