Support for Indie Authors discussion

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments I'm a first time indie author and have been published for a little under a month. So far, I've made about enough to buy a taco. 8-) What I'm wondering, is what can I do to get my story out there? It's a short story, a prequel to my upcoming trilogy. Anyone have advice? I can't afford anything that isn't free, so I know that's quite a limitation, but I was hoping...anybody...please... 8-)

message 2: by G.G. (last edited Aug 15, 2015 05:54PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments First, you should convert your regular member page to an author page here on goodreads. It doesn't look like much but people with whom you interact might see your book and who knows, they might give it a try too.

Aside from that, I wished I could help but I'm worth a big fat huge zero when it comes to marketing...

Oh and congrats on becoming officially and Indie. :)

message 3: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Hey Shannon, it depends on how much work you're willing to put in yourself. A lot of it is building yourself a presence on social media. As for the rest, it comes with more books! Keep writing, and promoting, and the readers will come! Look at the sticky in the marketing folder below, and see the things I use, at free cost of course, to promote works.

message 4: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments It will take some time to read thru, but there is a ton of info here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Good luck!

message 5: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments G.G. wrote: "First, you should convert your regular member page to an author page here on goodreads. It doesn't look like much but people with whom you interact might see your book and who knows, they might giv..."
Hey! Thanks! So how exactly do I change this to an author page?? 8-)

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom (tom_shutt) | 20 comments I'm doing a guerrilla marketing campaign right now on Imgur, an image-sharing website...there's a whole internal culture to the site, filled with memes and running jokes, so it takes some familiarity.

That being said, none of my posts make the front page (home of the most popular, most viral content), but it DOES generate interest and even a few promises of reviews. I'm giving my book away totally for free to Imgurians; if they see it before it gets popular, I lose out on MAYBE a dozen sales (from people I likely wouldn't have reached anyway), and if it goes viral, thousands of new readers for me!

So if you aren't afraid of giving out freebies, make it as easy to get as possible and the readers will come. :)

message 7: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Riley wrote: "Hey Shannon, it depends on how much work you're willing to put in yourself. A lot of it is building yourself a presence on social media. As for the rest, it comes with more books! Keep writing, and..."

I've got my twitter account, a facebook author page and here. Are there other places I should try out??

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Owen wrote: "It will take some time to read thru, but there is a ton of info here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Good luck!"

Thank you! I read some of it and it seems like making things free is one of the biggest, best ideas. Guess that's one easy step! Thanks for sharing the link! 8-)

message 9: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Tom wrote: "I'm doing a guerrilla marketing campaign right now on Imgur, an image-sharing website...there's a whole internal culture to the site, filled with memes and running jokes, so it takes some familiari..."

I'll check it out! Thanks! 8-)

message 10: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Shannon wrote: "G.G. wrote: "First, you should convert your regular member page to an author page here on goodreads. It doesn't look like much but people with whom you interact might see your book and who knows, t..."

https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/1...

First you need to add the book to Goodreads if you haven't done that already. (The instructions to do that is on that page too, just follow the different clickies.)

message 11: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Shannon wrote: "Thank you! I read some of it and it seems like making things free is one of the biggest, best ideas..."

Shannon, here are some threads specifically on the free-promo question.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

And this thread also has some more good general discussion:

Yes, there is a ton of info in this group...

message 12: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Fantastic! Thank you!

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Okay, as someone who has read your book, my advice is to write the next one. ;)

That's not entirely selfish. More books equals more sales and I've noticed here recently that fantasy is popular at the moment. One if our group members is doing rather well in that category and I know of at least two other new indies who are selling.

You may also want to go Author Central and set up your Amazon Author page. That way when you get the next book out, people can find all of your work by clicking your name.

message 14: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Sometimes I feel like the old ancient libraries before the dewey decimal system. All haphazard and all over the place! Praying you can find the same tome later. Goodreads needs to update the boards x D

message 15: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Riley wrote: "Sometimes I feel like the old ancient libraries before the dewey decimal system. All haphazard and all over the place! Praying you can find the same tome later. Goodreads needs to update the boards..."

It's been pretty clear for some time that GR set up things to support semi-structured chatting, not a rational indexing system to find what you want.

message 16: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments There is a very active community of book reviewers on this site who deal solely with independent authors. Some of them have sizable social media followings, while others are rated quite decently on Amazon.com. You might consider doing a digital book tour of you're looking to get the word out. If you have a dedicated website, make sure they are linking back to you. Web presence is like rolling a snowball down a hill, it grows with every little bit it picks up.

I would also suggest that you consider buying yourself a congratulatory Writer's Taco, you writerly writing writer you.

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I move to declare Congratulatory Writer's Taco a thing.

message 18: by J. Daniel, Lurking since 2015 (new)

J. Daniel Layfield (jdaniellayfield) | 94 comments Mod
Seconded! Tacos rule!

message 19: by Igzy (new)

Igzy Dewitt (IgzyDewitt) | 148 comments Christina wrote: "I move to declare Congratulatory Writer's Taco a thing."

We have a second, the motion passes.

message 20: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I have nothing new to add marketing wise, but I just wanted to share that I made tacos for dinner. ;)

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica Stinson (goodreadscomerica_r_stinson) | 139 comments Now I want tacos too LOL

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Emme (Lisa_Emme) | 212 comments I can't wait to get my book out in October. I want a Congratulatory Taco!

message 23: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Can I get the taco stand concession?

message 24: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Christina wrote: "Okay, as someone who has read your book, my advice is to write the next one. ;)

That's not entirely selfish. More books equals more sales and I've noticed here recently that fantasy is popular at ..."

Book one is a few weeks from publication, so you get one wish! 8-) I'll see about the amazon author page right now! Thanks so much for all the support and advice. You are fabulous! 8-)

message 25: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments Igzy wrote: "There is a very active community of book reviewers on this site who deal solely with independent authors. Some of them have sizable social media followings, while others are rated quite decently on..."

LOL, but if I buy that taco, all my profits will be eaten up! Now I'm torn. !-)

message 26: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Reber | 181 comments *Rushes to the store to buy taco supplies.* Profits? Who needs profits when there's Americanized Mexican foods available! 8-) Thank you all, for the laugh and the advice! Carry on... 8-)