TEFL diaries discussion

Lost Seoul
This topic is about Lost Seoul
Lost Seoul

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Mayston | 3 comments Mod
This is a radio link to an interview I gave to Alex Lester on his BBC Radio Oxford show recently.

It was an opportunity for me to talk about my two books that are closely related, 'Kimchi with Everything: A Year in the Life of a TEFL Teacher', and 'Lost Seoul', which is a fictional novel about an English teacher who travels to South Korea to teach English, only to find herself kidnapped by a deadly impostor.

If you are interested in learning more about teaching English abroad then this radio interview might just be for you.

I look forward to starting a discussion with people and am happy to answer any questions that people may have. The radio link is below.

http://bbc.in/1NeuDJb

The interview is around seventy minutes in to Alex's show.

Enjoy the interview!

Thank you.

John Mayston

message 2: by John (new)

John Mayston | 3 comments Mod
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:

Title: Lost Seoul
Author: John Mayston
Star Rating: 4 Stars
Number of Readers: 18
Stats
Editing: 8/10
Style: 8/10
Content: 9/10
Cover: 5/10
Of the 18 readers:
13 would read another book by this author.
2 thought the cover was good or excellent.
3 thought the blurb was well written.
14 felt the writing style was simple: easy to follow and, often, very entertaining.
Readers’ Comments
‘Enjoyable story but a little disturbing in parts. But that’s ok though. The style of writing was accessible and the character, Charlotte, was perfect for the plot: not too worldly-wise. Good ending too. The blurb’s a bit too short and the cover is generic-looking and horrible.’ Female reader (editor) aged 43
‘The descriptive writing of S. Korea is excellent and the plot, although not overly complicated, kept me intrigued till the end. Cover needs to be changed. I thought it was a book on trees!’ Male reader, aged 54
‘The Prologue is very powerful and draws the reader in. The story delivers for the most part but a bit slow in the middle. The writing style is succinct and helps to keep the pacing going at the beginning and end. The cover is generic and, as a result, will not help it to sell. Blurb overly short and not persuasive. To conclude, the author’s a good writer and will go on my ‘to watch’ list.’ Male reader (publisher), aged 39
‘Interesting concept. The setting was a little different to the norm. Nasty here and there but the author handled it well and ending was satisfying. I felt for the girl. I wanted to hug her and feed her chocolate.’ Female reader, aged 56

'Gripping and powerful.' The Wishing Shelf Book Awards