A Song of Ice and Fire - A Chapter a day discussion

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
This topic is about A Game of Thrones
A Game of Thrones > 08/11/15 - Chapter 24: Bran IV

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Clara I will create the topics even if we don't comment in them the same day, but so you know which one we should be discussing and you can catch up!

Clara . Such a sad start for this chapter. He had so much dreams and now he won't be able to accomplish them.

. You can tell how upset Bran is, he even doesn't want to hear anything from this sweet old woman who took care of him since he was a baby.

. I like how Old Nan says: "the stories are, before me and after me, before you too." I don't know, I really like it.

. I wonder how old she is, I know Bran mentions she is the oldest person in Winterfell, and that she nursed Bran’s grandfather. She must be over 100.

. I forgot she lost two of his sons in the war, and that she had daughters.

. Nobody who was sent a crow answered. I wonder why, or what happend to the responses.

. And little Rickon is all over Robb now. Poor baby, he must have been so lost with so many changes.

. So, we have a little more information about the others, she tells him: “Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks.” And it is a scary story, like the one Bran wanted to hear.

.“They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and
fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins." She also says men had no weapons able to stop them, and they ate children.

. When Maester Luwin opens the door, Old Nan stops telling the story, so we don't know what happened to the last hero. Did he die?

. It is the only time in all the five books it is mention Hodor's real name, which is Walder. I would like to know what Hodor means to him. Porbably nothing.

. Robb shows little love for Tyrion, and we can understand why, since they think the Lannisters sent the men who tried to kill Bran.

. I think it is really sweet of Tyrion to help Bran like Jon asked him. Even though he asked him to give Bran word, like he gave Jon, he did more than that. He is so clever! I know it's not so different from his own saddles, but still.

. Interesting how the wolfs attack him. They definitely can sense something, I don't know if it was the tension or what.

. So they learn just now Benjen is missing. They didn't even send a crow.

. When Robb cried I felt so bad for him, he has all this burden all the sudden, and he has to see his brother like that, even if he is happy he is alive. Poor family.

message 3: by Vicki (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments You know what, I never thought about what "Hodor" means. It makes me wonder what Hodor's and Old Nan's sername was, who they're related to. They seem special. Hodor is described as a half-giant, and Old Nan sure knows a lot of stories most have forgotten...maybe a part of them is children of the forest? Where did they find Old Nan? Such mystery...

1. I think it's interesting that Grey Wind, who's Robb's wolf, is the one who shepherds Rickon around when they're all playing. Shaggydog would always be at his heels, snapping at the others if they got too close, geez... *SPECULATION ON THE DIREWOLVES* (view spoiler)

2. Very interesting to note: "His fur had darkened until he was all black, and his eyes were green fire." Why does Shaggydog look so very different than the others??? Summer, however, is silver and smoke with eyes of yellow gold. Bran thinks he's the smartest, though smaller than Grey Wind.

3. Bran was almost a man grown at 8? Um... I kind of assumed a boy becomes a man at 16 in this world of knights and lords and ladies. He'd only be a half a man grown, then.

4. Old Nan says crows are all liars. Ha! (I wonder if this alludes to anything in the book series?) They made Old Nan be his babysitter, and he hates it. Bran's gotten so sullen now. I understand why, but still. He is really rather unpleasant at the moment.

5. Old Nan's story of the 3-year-old boy dying is sad, and a bit creepy that she can't keep her story straight, a different boy every time, but always there is a dead 3-year-old boy. Also forgot she is related to Hodor, the simpleminded giant. :) Something's special about those two.

6. Bran feels abandoned -- broken and left behind. Why didn't any of them write back to him when they heard he woke up?

7. Bran had only his brothers (not including Jon), and Robb is different now. He never smiled, and trains in the yard everyday, and at night talked to Luwin about account books...too busy for Bran and Rickon. He has to be a man now.

8. Sometimes Old Nan would confuse him with some other Brandon Stark...lol. Catelyn says she thinks they've all melted into the same person for Old Nan. Poor Old Nan! It's hard to get everybody straight when you are as old as sin.

9. "Fear is for the winter..." Spooky... "In that darkness, the Others came for the first time."

-- First time? Were there other times? This was before the Andals came to Westeros.

10. Totally forgot about Old Nan's story about a last hero, who had a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions to find the children of the forest to ask them to use their magic to stop the Others because the First Men's armies cannot. His friends, horse, and dog die, his sword breaks, and the Others come for his hot blood... Then Old Nan is interrupted by Hodor and Maester Luwin. Wow... *SPOILER FOR A DANCE WITH DRAGONS* (view spoiler)

11. Old Nan is Hodor's great-grandmother. He's nearly 7 feet tall! His real name is Walder but everyone calls him Hodor because that's the only thing he can say.

12. There is coldness between Robb and Tyrion. Tyrion says, "Your bastard brother has all your father's graces, it would seem." Jon was always 'fascinated' and 'curious' of Tyrion, but rarely ever cold to him as Robb is being. He certainly never threatened him with an unsheathed sword, I don't believe. And then Tyrion says of Bran, "You Starks are hard to kill." Exactly what Jon said once! Too coincidental, to me.

13. The high seat of Winterfell is cold stone with carved heads of direwolves on the ends of its massive arms. Bran feels like a baby sitting in it. :) Well, you pretty much are, compared to the rest of your ancestors!

14. OMG, Bran cries again! Tyrion had just called him a cripple, that's why. But we know by now Tyrion is a very blunt character, but he doesn't mean to hurt these kids -- he just says it as it is.

"I'm not a cripple!"

"Then I'm not a dwarf. My father will rejoice to hear it." And of course Greyjoy would laugh at this; however, I laughed too, so yeah. Theon laughs at everything. *SPOILER FOR A CLASH OF KINGS* (view spoiler)

15. Maester Luwin is excited about Tyrion's blueprints on Bran's special saddle. I like it!

16. Robb, however, is suspicious. When he asks why he would do this for Bran, he says Jon asked it of him. And I love this phrase, "And I have a tender spot in my heart for cripples and bastards and broken things." I just love Tyrion here.

17. Summer growls first, at seeing Tyrion, then Grey Wind picks it up. I wonder why the direwolves don't like him? The direwolves even attack Tyrion until Bran yells at them to stop and command Summer to come to him. Maybe they're going off of how Robb is feeling? Robb strongly distrusts Tyrion... and he's the oldest in the remaining pack. It's still weird, though, that Robb doesn't say anything to stop it. Maybe this means Bran is the closest to understanding the impact/nature of their direwolves than even Robb?

18. There it is again: Shaggydog's "eyes burning like green fire." What could it mean?

19. I love how Tyrion says, "How interesting," after that ordeal. He admits his dignity is harmed. And I like that Robb is now shaken, admitting he doesn't know why they did that. Didn't realize he'd had his sword unsheathed this entire time. That may have something to do with it.

20. It's big of Robb to apologize for being too hasty with Tyrion, and he finally sheathes his sword, then invites him to stay if he likes. :)

21. It's sad that Tyrion says, "Spare me your false courtesies, boy. You do not love me and you do not want me here." He decides to take an inn instead. :( It seems Robb is too much like his mom (when it comes to the Lannisters, especially). I wonder if Jon would treat Tyrion the same way if he heard the Lannisters were involved in Bran's two attempted murders.

22. Bran is reliving the climb and the Lannister twins in his dream. Only the twins are gargoyles, twisted and grotesque. "...as long as he did not hear them he was safe." They start to climb toward him and he tells them he didn't hear, crying, and wakes. :( This is so sad, to me... Bran can't remember what it was he wasn't supposed to hear, but he knows he shouldn't have heard it at least.

23. It's cute they call Jon "Ser Alliser's bane." :)

24. Yeah, if Benjen was sent to look for Waymar Royce he's probably dead too now...

25. Surprised Robb gets so angry at Yoren's suggestion that Benjen Stark's dead... he frightens Bran, too. And also surprised Yoren looks at him, unimpressed, and says, "Whatever you say, m'lord." Ballsy of him.

26. Benjen knows the Haunted Forest better than anyone on the Wall. Guess that's why he's first ranger.

27. Innocent Bran says the children of the forest will help Benjen, and gets laughed at. Even Maester Luwin shoots his remark down. :( But Yoren validates what he says, saying the children may be all dead in the kingdoms, but who's to say if they are all dead north of the Wall? "Up there, a man can't always tell what's alive and what's dead." Sounds like Yoren believes in the Others by that statement.

28. It's so sweet how Robb promises to find Bran a horse, how he'll surprise their mother when he's on a horse, and how they'll go to the Wall and visit Jon -- won't even tell him they're coming -- it'll be an adventure. :) And then Robb bursts out crying, of course, and Bran wraps his fingers around his brothers'. Oh gods, the feels!

Clara Maybe they are related with the child of the forest, but we don't really now! I don't think they get a lot of backstory in the books, which is sad. Also, I don't know what's up with Shaggydog's eyes, but I'm curious about it!
*SPECULATION ON THE DIREWOLVES*(view spoiler).

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPECULATION ON THE DIREWOLVES* (view spoiler)

Clara *SPECULATION ON THE DIREWOLVES* (view spoiler)

Vicki Kalb | 310 comments *SPECULATION ON THE DIREWOLVES* (view spoiler)