World Mysteries and Thrillers discussion

Author Promo > author introductions

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2020 09:43AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 148 comments Mod
Hallo, Goodreads authors!

This is just a thread where you can greet the rest of the group and introduce us to your burgeoning career as a mystery author.

A hearty welcome to you!

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Johnson (httpgoodreadscomkathrynkjohnson) | 4 comments No Mercy (Affairs of State #3) by Kathryn Johnson
Hi, Feliks and all! I've checked in before but wanted to stop by and reintroduce myself. I write in several genres, but my latest novels are contemporary thrillers. As of yesterday, there are three books in the Affairs of State series--all with a mix of international settings, all thrillers: Mercy Killing (heroine's name is Mercy), Hot Mercy (set in the tropics), and No Mercy (U.S./Italy). I'll be doing a Giveaway for copies of No Mercy. Thought the gang might want to know. Giveaway starts as soon as Goodreads makes it live. Cheers, all! Kathryn Johnson

message 3: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Well now! Howdy-do to you. I will gather your info and present it with the others. Thanks!

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 1 comments Hi All,

I've joined GR recently and just discovered this group.
I write Oligarch series in international thriller genre, which encompass criminal/political power struggles, intelligence agencies involvement, institutional corruption, conspiracies, Russian - Ukrainian confrontation and much more. The setting is anchored in Ukraine, but it's truly international with scenes in Uk, Israel, Kazakhstan, Thailand, Cayman islands and other countries.
I'd be glad to contribute to this group's discussions on the topics I find interesting.
Feliks, as you've suggested, I'll appreciate if you can orient me on what goes on here, whether I can or cannot add links to my books, in case someone would want to take a look and so on.

Nice to meet you all.

Nik Krasno

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Alber (lisaalber) | 2 comments Hello!

I've been meaning to get involved with Goodreads a little more than I have been in the past few years. So here I am! My debut novel, KILMOON, A County Clare Mystery, came out in March 2014. It received a couple of "best first" award nominations.

I've got a new publisher (Midnight Ink), and my second novel, WHISPERS IN THE MIST, is due out in August 2016. I just saw the cover, which I love, and I'm thinking of doing a cover reveal giveaway. :-) I can let the peeps here know about it (on the author promo page, of course).

I write a series set in Ireland featuring Detective Sergeant Danny Ahern and an ex-pat American named Merrit Chase. My stories tend toward moodiness rather than coziness.

I look forward to learning more about this group!

Thanks! Lisa

message 6: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Oct 01, 2015 08:53AM) (new)

Updated our group today with fresh info for:

J.R. Rogers, Lisa Alber, Nik Krasno, John Addeggio, Peter Fuggazzato, and A.C. Efverman.

Its been slow in this group lately, so I will do a little bit of highlighting of you guys without going through all the usual steps. Gratis! Enjoy

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Harvey | 5 comments Looking forward to some great leads on thrillers and mysteries. I especially like thrillers with an international setting; black humour always helps get the pages turning for me. My own writing includes non fiction ("The End of the River") and mystery/thriller. "Beethoven's Tenth" is the first of a series of mysteries for Raven Books. I also just published a Kindle edition of "Gone Grizzly", set in the Rocky Mountains.

message 8: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

You've been added to our rolls, Brian. Cheers

message 9: by David (new)

David Callinan (davidcallinan) | 4 comments Hello, I've already sent you a message with a question then I saw this section. I'm determined to get more involved with Goodreads although I've been a member for some time. I look forward to hearing the ground rules, dos and don'ts etc, though I can guess what most of them are.

Like most authors, I'm looking for reviews. And to contribute to the debate.

message 10: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

great attitude there! i'm adding your info now. group rules aren't hard to follow, no worries...

message 11: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 5 comments Hi Feliks, so this is where you live on GR! I thought you were but a regular contributor to the Action Adventure Aficionados group not a moderator on another site (little did I know). Appreciate the introduction to the iconic Nicholai Hel in your group reads suggestion. I've been off GR of late due to (work/family +) writing my first novel, The Orlov Diamond, which is set in Russia involving a treasure hunt beneath the Kremlin and a deadly game of cat and mouse through the wilds of the Caucasus Mountains and down the canals of St Petersburg.

message 12: by Brian (new)

Brian Harvey | 5 comments Benjamin, a question about your novel in progress. Applies to any "international" thriller I guess. It's this: how do you handle dialogue in a language that's not English? Do you just use Russian words sparingly? Define them? Martin Cruz Smith seems to me the benchmark for writers of thrillers set in Russia, and he's pretty sparing in his use of Russian. Just curious!

message 13: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2015 05:04PM) (new)

I actually moderate 5-6 fiction groups. They're listed on the front-page here. Anyway, yo! Hallo Benjamin. Did not know you were a burgeoning novelist. Good luck to you.

I haven't been back to AA in a while..was on thin ice there, somewhat... don' wanna wear-out-my welcome

p.s. for excellent reference books re: the history of Russkie espionage, check out the nonfiction-classics bookshelf in my group Espionage Aficionados

message 14: by Benjamin (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:31PM) (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 5 comments Hi Brian, I agree Martin Cruz Smith writes wonderful books, Gorky Park being my favorite (and the first of the Renko series which remains pretty strong throughout).
I definitely use Russian words sparingly as I think they slow the flow down if you pepper dialogue with them. When I do use them I try to define them as painlessly as possible.
I wasn't very clear in my post I've actually completed the book and it is up on Amazon and other sites Smashwords flicks copies off to (ibooks etc)
The Orlov Diamond (Lloyd & Ladbrook #1) by Benjamin Kuttner

message 15: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 5 comments Aha Feliks I will definitely check out espionage Aficionados although I'm done with Russia for now and moving on to book 2 in Peru (I'm trying to stick to places I have actually traveled in). Cheers about the burgeoning novelist, it's taken me a damn long time to actually knuckle down and finish (so much other life stuff to balance with writing).

message 16: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited Nov 30, 2015 10:21PM) (new)

Okey dokey. Just FYI, that shelf also has titles on things like Latin American communism; Pinochet; the assassination of Trotsky, etc. Also, Charles Ameringer is a member of the group. South American expert.

message 17: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Kuttner | 5 comments Thanks Feliks just signed up. I think the communist guerrilla group Shining Path (Peru) will definitely have a part to play so that's very useful. And I'll pose a few questions to Charles if he's free.

message 18: by Michael (new)

Michael Rubin | 2 comments Glad to be a part of this group. My thriller, THE COTTONCREST CURSE, published by the award-winning LSU Press, ranges from Russia to Germany to New York to the Deep South, and from the Civil War to the Civil Rights Era.

At the American Library Association's annual meeting this year, it was announced that THE COTTONCREST CURSE was the winner of the IndieFab Book of the Year Gold Award as the top thriller/suspense novel published by a university or independent press.

The book is available as a hardcover, as an ebook (on Amazon and Barnes & Noble), and as an audiobook (on both Aubible and ITunes). In 2016, a German-language edition will be released by Suhrkamp in Western Europe.

The Cottoncrest Curse by Michael H. Rubin
The Cottoncrest Curse

message 19: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Welcome! I'll add you to our circle..

message 20: by Larry (new)

Larry Loftis | 8 comments Lisa wrote: "Hello!

I've been meaning to get involved with Goodreads a little more than I have been in the past few years. So here I am! My debut novel, KILMOON, A County Clare Mystery, came out in March 2014...."

Hi Lisa, welcome. What is a "cover reveal" giveaway?

message 21: by J.T. (new)

J.T. Patten (jtpattenbooks) | 1 comments Hi all.

Well, from a world thriller perspective, my latest takes the reader from the US to Thailand and Burma (and then back to US). In Thailand, I capture aspects of the seedy go-go to the remote smuggling trails, and in Burma dine on boa and leaks while walking through lush jungle canopy to the rancid rotting jungle floor.

Thrills come in through this contemporary spy thriller with relatable heroes and foes.

I hope that you enjoy it.
JTPSAFE HAVENS: Primed Charge

message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Nunoofio (papeeebooks) | 1 comments Hi Feliks, I am an indie author. I have self-published a number of mystery and thriller stories with an International flavor. I am happy to connect and hoping to build a relationship with you and members of the group over time.

message 23: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Welcome!

message 24: by Edward (new)

Edward Turbeville (edward_turbeville) | 1 comments I believe my new cosy English murder mystery, Death at Delphi, which takes place in both England and Greece, would be appropriate for your group. It would be most suited to fans of Agatha Christie and similar.

Death at Delphi by Edward Turbeville

Synopsis:

Whose bones lie in Caroline’s grave?

A mysterious drowning. A dead person seen alive. A secret society reviving ancient rites. Rumours of smuggling, espionage and betrayal.

When a handsome stranger asks Jayne for help, her quest takes her to Greece where a web of lies, intrigue, and jealousy is soon laid bare.

Can Jayne solve the deadly mystery before time runs out?

I have several ARCs available and would be glad to offer them to group members who can pm me their email address. The book is already available on Amazon for pre-order at 99c, the publication date is 15 October.

message 25: by M.P. (new)

M.P. Peacock | 2 comments We have just published our first novel, Murder on the Strike of Five: Russia 1917, a classic whodunnit set in Russia at the time of the 1917 revolution. Available on Amazon for kindle and in paperback.
Murder on the Strike of Five Russia 1917 by M.P. Peacock
Moscow, Russia, February 1917.
The story follows a young Russian Countess and her maid as they flee from Moscow on the Trans-Siberian train to Vladivostok. When murder strikes, all the first-class passengers come under suspicion and it soon becomes clear that each one of them had a motive to kill, as well as the means and the opportunity.

message 26: by Sharmishtha (new)

Sharmishtha Basu (sharmishthabasu) | 7 comments Hey! I am Sharmishtha Basu, I write poetry, fiction and non fiction, publish two monthly ezines.

Have self-published in amazon, and publish the ezines every month, they too will be in amazon as quarterlies.

Keen to review and get my works reviewed.

Will be grateful if you take me in :)

message 27: by Vaseem (new)

Vaseem Khan (vaseemkhan) | 5 comments Hi all

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I am an author and avid crime reader (the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connolly is my favourite). As an author I write a light-hearted crime series set in India, for fans of The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency series. The first book in my series The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra is a Times Saturday bestseller, Waterstones Book Club selection and Amazon Best Debut pick. This 2015 hit introduces readers to Inspector Ashwin Chopra of the Mumbai police as he moves through the turbulent, colourful fabric of modern Indian society in search of a murderer, whilst simultaneously coming to grips with the surreal dilemma of caring for a one-year-old baby elephant that has been sent into his care. “Endearing and gripping” ~ The Sunday Times; “Colour and atmosphere flows out of every page” ~ The Daily Express; “Utterly charming” ~ The Guardian

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra (Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation #1) by Vaseem Khan

http://amzn.to/2celHwG

The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra

Ive been writing all summer - busy working on the third in the series - but managing to read a lot too. Lot of domestic noir - most of which, sadly, isn't that good. But I just read the one that started it all - Gone Girl - and thought it was terrific. So definitely a recommend from me.

Vaseem, London

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason T. (jtblundell) | 1 comments Fool Whiskey Hero (Drunken Fool Thrillers Book 1) by Jason T. Blundell
Fool Whiskey Hero

Hello all,

My name is JT Blundell, and my crime novel, Fool Whisky Hero has just been published by New Pulp Press. Like with any good time with Whiskey, you'll have to prepare yourself to get a little messy.

Here is a synopsis:

Nyah’s father was a cop. He was gunned down and his murder was left unsolved. Three years later, Nyah watches helplessly as three people are slaughtered and barely escapes with her own life.
Now the witnesses are being erased and sixteen-year-old Nyah is being hunted by corrupt cops, drug dealers and a ruthless sociopathic killer. Everything Nyah has ever loved has been taken from her. All she wants is someone to pay.
Grady Fisk is an alcoholic whose marriage is steamrolling towards divorce and who owes $50, 000 to a drug dealer to keep his brother Reece alive. While dragging Reece out of yet another fine mess, three people are murdered, and Grady and Reece are the prime suspects.
If saving his own ass wasn’t tough enough, Grady now has to protect Nyah from every murderer and psychopath in the city. Is it any wonder Grady drinks?
Nyah wants vengeance.
Nyah needs a hero.
What she gets is Grady Fisk.

I invite you all to check out my book. If you're up for taking a chance on a new author and a new anti-hero, I think you'll find the risk enjoyable.

message 29: by Steven (new)

Steven Moore Hi Feliks and everyone!
I'm an author who writes mysteries, thrillers, and sci-fi, but I'm first and foremost a reader. I've been on GR a while, but I just discovered this group and am enthusiastic!
Rather than promote my books (you can always go to my website or my GR author's page), let me offer something different: if an author wants to contribute a post on reading, writing, or the writing business, or be an interviewer or interviewee, or contribute a short story (3 kwords limit), I can help out. I'm cutting back on my own blog posts starting in January, so you can help me out too!
BTW, all my books need more reviews (there are caps), so you can read one for free in return for an honest review. Query me.
r/Steve Moore

message 30: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 114 comments Welcome Steven

message 31: by F.J. (new)

F.J. Harmon (fjharmon) | 3 comments Hi Feliks and Everyone,
I am looking for reviewers, but first a little background. I have written three mystery thrillers each with a different twist. Revenge for What is Sacred is an international thriller with a very strong taste of the middle east. Duplicity's Child was set in a seral killer thriller that was set in Ann Arbor Michigan, a college town I visited often during my working-my-way-through college years. I am working on the second book in that Mace Franklyn Murder Mystery series, but in between I wrote a psychological thriller One Cold Sunday. I am looking for reviewers interested in reading an advance copy of One Cold Sunday.

message 32: by Charles (new)

Charles Ameringer (cda1) | 21 comments If you think Venezuela is in a bad way today, you ought to read this just published dark tale about things there about 100 years ago. It's about five bastard sons who want to do in Papa, only he's the dictator-president of the country protected by a squad of national security police. Follow a series of deadly encounters to determine who will assassinate whom. Check it out at: goodreads.com/book/show/38332561-the-...

message 33: by Larry (new)

Larry Loftis | 8 comments Code Name Lise The True Story of the Spy Who Became WWII's Most Highly Decorated Woman by Larry Loftis

Hi Feliks, and everyone! Feliks, thanks so much for your support and encouragement regarding my first nonfiction thriller, INTO THE LION'S MOUTH. My second nonfiction thriller, CODE NAME: LISE, will be released Jan. 15, 2019 (Gallery/Simon & Schuster) and is available for pre-order now.

For details, please visit my website, www.LarryLoftis.com.

Cheers,
Larry

message 34: by Howard (new)

Howard Kaplan | 3 comments To Destroy JerusalemJUST PUBLISHED! TO DESTROY JERUSALEM my new international thriller. Rich in historical detail, TO DESTROY JERUSALEM is a thrilling tale of espionage, nationalism, and fate

I'm the author of 5 international thrillers, my novel The Damascus Cover has been filmed starring Sir John Hurt in his last film, Jonathan Rhys Meyers and Olivia Thirlby

When a neutron source— a necessary component in triggering a nuclear explosion— is stolen in New York, the CIA calls on Shai Shaham, the legendary Mossad field agent.

To trace the stolen neutron source, Shai needs to locate where and how those behind the theft are obtaining plutonium so he heads to Amsterdam to meet Ramzy Awwad, the Palestinian agent who Shai had been ordered to kill at the end of a mission together. He doesn’t know if Ramzy is more likely to help stop the plotters or join the Palestinian people in the midst of the first intifada (uprising) in the Occupied Territories.

Set in 1990, TO DESTROY JERUSALEM is the tale of a terrifying plot that spans the globe, from Rio de Janeiro to war-torn Beirut to the West Bank. As Shai rushes to avert catastrophe, he unearths a link to the underground intifada in Jerusalem, and he tracks the conspirators until they thwart him with an ingenious plan to bridge the heavily fortified northern border into Israel.

Whether Shai will be able to depend on Ramzy to help stop a horrific attack is a question on which the fate of these peoples—and the greater world--depends.

message 35: by SPRess (new)

SPRess | 2 comments Hey!! I have a book here that I think will interest you!!!

Finding Arthur: Betrayal and revenge lurk in the shadow of the Good Friday Agreement was published in May 2018 and is John McClintock’s first crime novel. It has had great praise with a 5 star rating on Amazon and in a review by Brian Rowan, an established Northern Irish Journalist and Author, he stated that the book “reminded us of a peace that was hard won; of its high price and of why it should never be taken for granted. His work of fiction has given us something to think about.”

Set in 1999 after the Good Friday Agreement, Journalist Arthur Williams has reported numerous Troubles stories including the notorious Newry Bombings which killed 23 people. The IRA gang responsible were jailed thanks to the evidence provided by an informer. However, due to the terms of the Good Friday Agreement the gang are released early and are determined to get their revenge on the informer. Arthur is abducted within days of their release, is there a connection? When the case is handed to DI Quinn, a man with a short fuse, SAS-trained Sergeant Gillian Rice is assigned to keep an eye on him. A witty, sharp and engaging debut thriller which weaves through the Belfast, Bangor and County Down countryside in a compelling story of vengeance.

This book can be found here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...

message 36: by SPRess (new)

SPRess | 2 comments Hey!! I have a book here that I think will interest Thriller fanatics!!!

Tadhg and the Pockel is a thriller that was published in May 2017 and was written by Michael Sands, it was positively reviewed by Irish News who described the book as "a storyline that will have you in stitches, whether you are into trad or whether you think it is just the same tune played over and over again.”

Tadhg has had hangovers before but this one! Waking up outside? In the Glens of Antrim? In the priest's garden? He's really outdone himself. The priest won't forget this visit anytime soon. What's taking them to Baltimore? What is a Pockel anyway? Why is Tadhg's dead mum writing him letters? Strap yourself in, tune up your fiddle and join Tadhg and the lads as they head south on the trad road trip of a lifetime.

Tadhg and the Pockel can be found here:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...

message 37: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Welcome to you all. Remember, you're all encouraged to post your giveaways, deals, discounts etc in detail in the 'author promo' section of the group. I'm pretty quiet as a co-moderator these days (I work on my own projects non-stop) but I'm here if any questions arise. Feel free to 'get the word out' using the section I just mentioned.

Y'know, it strikes me that 'author promo' --once a monster of these Goodreads forum/boards--has fallen off drastically in the past year or two. Wonder why? Formerly I had to go 'round cleaning up promo every two weeks at least. Now there's hardly a peep from authors.

I guess the parade has moved on...?

message 38: by Khaled (new)

Khaled Talib (khaledtalib) | 21 comments I hope everyone is having a pleasant weekend, if not adventurously crazy. I'm finished a manuscript and it's in the hands of a publisher, so hopefully, I'll have some good news to share.
Meanwhile, I am working on a sequel to Gun Kiss. I hit a wall and left the manuscript alone for a few days before inspiration came back and I wrote about it. If you're interested, here's the link though it's also on my Goodreads page. http://khaledtalibthriller.com/just-b...

Best,
Khaled

message 39: by Doug (new)

Doug Wilhelm (doug_wilhelm) | 2 comments Hi all, I'm a writer in Vermont's Champlain Valley and these are the books I love — thrillers, mysteries and other great stories set in locales and cultures around the world.

Street of Storytellers, my 17th and newest book, is a thriller for adult and YA readers set during Christmas week 1984 in Peshawar, the legendary crossroads city by the Khyber Pass in Northwest Pakistan. Its main characters are four young people: the American narrator, an Afghan refugee, and a Pakistani brother and sister.

Released last fall, Street of Storytellers has been named an "Indie Editors Choice" by Kirkus Reviews, and has won the gold medal for YA fiction from the Independent Press Awards, the silver medal for teen fiction from the Benjamin Franklin Awards, second place for all fiction from the IndieReader Discovery Awards, and first place for YA books from the Independent Publishers of New England Book Awards.

I really look forward to being part of this group! More on Storytellers, my other books and me is at dougwilhelm.com.

message 40: by Feliks, Moderator (last edited May 29, 2020 09:37AM) (new)

Welcome to ye.

I received your PM to my inbox and I'll just echo a few points here for everyone's benefit.

When a new member joins up with this group, we don't ask anything from them. They just join and poke-around at their whim.

When a new member joins the group --and they happen to be a Goodreads author-- they may wish to introduce themselves to the group via this thread. But it isn't mandatory at all.

I'm going to look for (and correct) any spot on the group front page where perhaps my wording makes it seem as if this is a 'requirement'. It surely isn't.

Apart from (optionally) greeting other folks in this group, the only principle we do ask authors to observe is that they post any promo-about-themselves in the thread called 'Author Promo'. This is just for basic housekeeping.

Again, I bid you welcome. Have fun and by all means let us know anything related to your book release in the above-named discussion.

Congratulations on your publication!

Feliks

message 41: by Feliks, Moderator (new)

Y'know ... I wonder why --when authors promote their books to members of reader's groups like this one --why don't they ever provided a sample page of their prose?

Sorta like the 'Peek Inside' tool on Google Books or Amazon Books?

If I were in their shoes, I would choose a random chapter of my book and select a page with some of my best writing and let prospective buyers get a glimpse of what they're in for.

There's authors who self-promote in every group I help moderate and I've yet to see such a practice grow in vogue.