Women At Warp Book Club discussion

Diane Duane > Your Questions for Diane Duane!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jarrah (new)

Jarrah (jarrahpenguin) | 34 comments Mod
We are extremely excited that Diane Duane will be coming on our show for an interview later in August. What questions would you like us to ask her? Let us know!

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike Crate | 9 comments Was there any pressure from the publishers post TNG to manipulate the Rihannsu into more like the Romulans as presented by the ongoing tv series?

"Where No One Has Gone Before" a hard lesson in writing/pitching for tv work or a valuable glimpse into the benefits of novels or both?

I could probably think of some others but I suspect you have them covered but ultimately Diane wrote some of the best original series Trek I've ever read and her books are still on my shelves and continue to be enjoyed.

message 3: by mress_1701 (last edited Aug 19, 2015 10:24AM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments I wish that the TV series and movies would have adopted Duane's beautifully crafted Rihannsu, as well as her history of Vulcan. Hers will always be my personal canon.

My first question for Diane is: what is it like to write novels set in a TV series "universe", knowing that what you create won't be considered canon, and anything you've so meticulously established can be contradicted by a few lines of dialogue on screen?

On the one hand, you have to research to the Nth degree because editors and readers can be so unforgiving of continuity errors. On other hand, no TV script writer ever needs to pay attention to the things you yourself establish in your novels.

Do you find that frustrating, or does being a script writer as well as an author of novels give you a different perspective?

message 4: by mress_1701 (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:09AM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments Second question: How did you meet David Gerrold, and what effect did he have on your writing in general?

message 5: by mress_1701 (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:57AM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments Third question: I live in Munich and it's fun to know that you and your husband co-wrote the scripts for the original German mini-series "Die Nibelungen" (US release title: "Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King"). What was it like writing for German television compared to writing for UK or US productions?

message 6: by mress_1701 (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments This curious kitty has one more question: If you got the chance to make a Star Trek film with no constraints on budget or anything else, what would it be about, and which actors and director would you pick?

message 7: by mress_1701 (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:58AM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments Here is a question from my friend Rick:

Making characters seem real is a matter of making them relatable in some way to the reader. This is especially true of aliens, but also of humans. Does your experience in psychiatric care help you flesh out your characters, and if so, how? How do you make aliens seem truly alien, yet still bring out enough of their "humanity" that readers can identify with them?

message 8: by mress_1701 (last edited Sep 04, 2015 05:37PM) (new)

mress_1701 | 7 comments This is not a question, but I wanted to share it with Diane anyway. Please feel free to read it on the show.

I just finished reading "The Wounded Sky". This novel was amazing on so many levels that I can't even begin to expound upon in this short message format. I'd just like to share one very special thing.

5 years ago today (Sept. 4th, 2010) was my very close friend and mentor Sam's funeral. Every year on this day, I go to visit his grave. I always bring along something to decorate it, or a special prayer to read. I had been wondering what to bring this year, when just today I read Spock's memorial service for K't'lk. Every word of it fit Sam so beautifully, even down to the detail that I had picked the music for his funeral, as Spock did for K't'lk's. Even though Sam wasn't a Trek fan, I know he would have loved it. I wrote out the relevant bits of the passage (crediting you, of course :-)) then read it out loud and placed it in a special envelope on his grave.

Thank you for writing something so beautiful that helped me honour a friend who was closer to me than a brother.

The memorial scene was also especially poignant in view of Nimoy's passing this year. This would have been a shining dedication to him as well. I would have read it at his funeral if I could have.

Even though I already knew it was going to happen, K't'lk's rebirth in K's't'lk at the close of the book added a wonderful ray of hope and joy as this evening drew to a close.

Again, I can never thank you enough for creating something so wonderful. I feel like the scene, and indeed the whole novel, was written just for me, even though you wrote it so long ago. Non-causal physics, anyone? ;-) I like to imagine that somewhere, K't'lk is smiling. ;-)