Books2Movies Club discussion

Closed Threads > Book of September 2015

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ztook) | 2875 comments Mod
This September we should read a classic novel and watch the movie(s) based on it. The word classic may be interpreted in many ways, so let's say it should be a book older than 30 years. Maybe you wouldn't agree? Let me know by nominating your own favorite classics for our next book of the month :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I checked the list first and don't see Frankenstein on it. I am ashamed to say I havent read it yet. My daughter, born in the nineties, suggested Red Dragon as it is now thirty years old. She claims it's a classic. I thought that was quite funny, but may be sadly true. Good book, good movie. I will leave the discretion up to the moderator.

message 3: by Zeljka (new)

Darlene wrote: "I checked the list first and don't see Frankenstein on it. I am ashamed to say I havent read it yet. My daughter, born in the nineties, suggested Red Dragon..."

I've just finished Dracula, so Frankenstein would be nice follow-up :) Red Dragon, I guess it fits in the slot, it's difficult to say. It is classic in its genre, surely?

I couldn't resist and went further, to at least check the definition of a modern classic, to see if that label might help us: http://classiclit.about.com/od/basics...

I would put the book in the poll. It is probably not classic in the sense that it'll stand the test of time (how to know that really, it's only 35 years old), but it introduced one of the most popular literary and movie characters today.

message 4: by Zeljka (last edited Aug 19, 2015 11:51AM) (new)

Darlene inspired me now to add another mystery book to the poll: The Third Man by Graham Greene. I really liked the movie, and I guess the book is good too.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Graham Greene is a favorite of mine so may I second The Third Man. So many wonderful books and movies. I will be happy with whatever others choose. This is a fun group.

message 6: by Phair (new)

Phair (sphair) Maybe more pulp than "classic"' but how about The Sheik The Sheik (Pine Street Books) by E. M. Hull which was the basis for the Valentino silent film. It was published in 1919 and was a wild bestseller with well over 50 reprintings during its initial years. Definitely not politically correct for today but one of my favorites. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7031.

message 7: by Zeljka (new)

Phair wrote: "Maybe more pulp than "classic"' but how about The Sheik which was the basis for the Valentino silent film. It was published in 1919 and was a wild be..."

Great suggestion Phair, I am intrigued to read it! I think we may even find the movie online, it is surely in public domain now. It'll go in to the poll definitely, thanks :)

message 8: by Zeljka (new)

The poll is up:

Book of September 2015

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I started Frankenstein today. At first glance, the prose seemed awkward but after a few chapters I mentality adjusted well and the story, I must say, is superior to any of the films I've seen.

message 10: by Zeljka (new)

Darlene wrote: "I started Frankenstein today. At first glance, the prose seemed awkward but after a few chapters I mentality adjusted well and the story, I must say, is superior to any of the films I've seen."

Hi all, I just created the thread dedicated to the book, here:

Frankenstein - the book

For the movies thread, give me a few more minutes (or an hour) to make it. It takes time to assemble the images and so :)