Eclectic Readers discussion

12 views
Podcasts > Episode 6: The Girl on the Train

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
This time around, we list our least favorite books, The Girl on the Train fills us with mixed emotions, and we try to figure out when people-watching becomes legit creepy. Share your opinions here!


message 2: by Sean (new)

Sean Byrne (stegofreak) | 64 comments I gave up on the podcast about 35 minutes in when the Gone Girl spoilers proved longer than the advertised five seconds.

Prior to that point though, I got oddly defencive about The Girl on the Train. Personally, I did find it a page turner. In fact, I read the last 100 pages in one go, at 2am, while pretty much blind (not even exaggerating.)

Lastly, for now, I'm going to steal your book idea, write about 1,000 words of it, then lose interest in it, like every other attempt I've made at writing a book.


message 3: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
Sean wrote: "I gave up on the podcast about 35 minutes in when the Gone Girl spoilers proved longer than the advertised five seconds.

Prior to that point though, I got oddly defencive about The Girl on the Tra..."


Noooooo! Not our book idea!

That Gone Girl thing did sort of keep growing, didn't it? Oops! Double-checked and it ends at about minute 39 for you and anyone else who wants to avoid the spoilers.

I really did like The Girl on the Train too, and I definitely blew through parts of the book, so I'm with you!


message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments Just finished the Kushiels Dart podcast and listening to GotT now... I love you ladies, and would gladly chat anytime about books in person with you 3, but for a podcast, Id love a more moderated conversation. Not censored, but more measured... sometimes the chit chat drags or tangents go on. I would love the focus to be brought back to the book and related topics. just my two cents on format. overall i love hearing your voices! oh, one more critique. not all of your listeners (*ahem*me*ahem*) are well versed in some of your interests so topics go over their (my) head. that can be somewhat off putting. but again, love you and appreciate you taking time out to record!


message 5: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Just finished the Kushiels Dart podcast and listening to GotT now... I love you ladies, and would gladly chat anytime about books in person with you 3, but for a podcast, Id love a more moderated c..."

Thanks for the feedback, Kim! When you say tangents/chit-chat, could you name more specific places where you'd like the conversation to be more moderated or less "over their head"? Like, was it the conversation about Gone Girl being too long (because that was something I wondered as I was listening to it afterward, and I think Sean has confirmed it for me), or were there other ways we go off topic?

Also, if you've got topics and suggestions for things you want to hear us discuss, send them to us, because that would also help!

I think I can speak for all of us in saying we really want to make this the best podcast we possibly can, so thanks for listening and helping us improve it!


message 6: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merethebookgal) | 214 comments Mod
I just finished listening to the podcast, and I think it was a good discussion, probably even more so because all three of you had differing opinions. (I feel like this might have been the most or one of the most polarizing books we've chosen.)
Like I said in book club, I didn't like the book, mainly because I found reading the day-to-day life of an unemployed alcoholic to be depressing, and the characters unlikeable to the point that I didn't really care what happened to them. And, yes, about the auxiliary characters not being flushed out; like, what was the ginger-haired kid's purpose? I kept thinking he was going to play some sort of important role, and he ended up being more or less a waste of time. He pretty much just confirmed what Rachel remembered anyway.
I wasn't really surprised that Tom was the bad guy, since he was the only person (besides maybe Rachel) that would have made it a "twist," but it was pretty crazy to find out he'd been screwing with her drunken memories all that time to make her think she was doing and saying things that she wasn't.
As for the creepy people watching thing, I think it was creepy because it got to the point of obsession. Say, for instance, Jeannette, I doubt that you feel really sad if you don't get to see that particular car driving by you in the morning or would be worried if you stopped seeing that particular car on your morning commute.
To wrap up my post, here's a fun people watching moment I had out with Jeannette this past weekend (we got Ethiopian food and frozen yogurt, you should be jealous, haha): while we were eating our frozen yogurt, I was watching a girl go through the process, and she got to the point where she was putting on her topping and not once, but TWICE used two different topping spoons to push down her frozen yogurt to make more room for toppings, and then she put the icky frozen yogurt covered spoons BACK IN with the toppings! Ugh! I must have made a face of utter disgust because then I had to fill in a very confused Jeannette on what had happened to justify me making that face. Of course, we had just been taking about this book and people watching, so it was super timely, haha!


message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimguernsey) | 150 comments Jeannette wrote: "Kim wrote: "Just finished the Kushiels Dart podcast and listening to GotT now... I love you ladies, and would gladly chat anytime about books in person with you 3, but for a podcast, Id love a more..."

Eeep! I'd have to re-listen to the podcasts to come up with any instances beyond the Gone Girl example. Which is fine anyway, because I keep meaning to go back, listen again, and write my Goodreads podcast review as I listen. A "live-tweet" so to speak but not, since this isn't Twitter. :)


message 8: by Sue (new)

Sue (ruri_kaichou) | 333 comments Mod
Thanks for the critiques! That'll really help us improve the show. As the boss man said to me, because we only record once a month, it'll take us a little longer to really get the hang of recording and getting the flow. Notes will definitely help us.

Kim: I'm sure you really wanted to hear about allergy problems across the country. Haha! We'll try to keep our intro segment a little more short and general. And as Jeannette said, keep the suggestions coming!

Meredith: I just wanted to say that I 100% agree with what you wrote. 100%. And regarding the Girl with the Frozen Yogurt.... ick! I would have also probably made a face. Some people.


message 9: by Meredith (new)

Meredith (merethebookgal) | 214 comments Mod
Haha, "The Girl With the Frozen Yogurt," that's the book we should write! It'll be the next big thing!

And thanks for the affirmation, Sue! It's nice to know I'm not alone with my thoughts!


message 10: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
Meredith wrote: "As for the creepy people watching thing, I think it was creepy because it got to the point of obsession. Say, for instance, Jeannette, I doubt that you feel really sad if you don't get to see that particular car driving by you in the morning or would be worried if you stopped seeing that particular car on your morning commute..."

Okay, I'd agree with you there. I probably wouldn't be super emotionally involved, and while I understand why Rachel felt an emotional hit from seeing someone (supposedly) cheating, that was where it hit the unbalanced mark for me. And yeah, that frozen yogurt lady's behavior was NOT okay. I'll help write that book!

Kim wrote: "Which is fine anyway, because I keep meaning to go back, listen again, and write my Goodreads podcast review as I listen. A "live-tweet" so to speak but not, since this isn't Twitter. :) ..."

I can't wait to hear your thoughts! :-)

Sue wrote: "I'm sure you really wanted to hear about allergy problems across the country..."

Of course Eclectic Readers want to hear about our allergy problems! Because we care about people, right?

No? All right, all about the books it is.


message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) | 130 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Jeannette wrote: "Kim wrote: "Just finished the Kushiels Dart podcast and listening to GotT now... I love you ladies, and would gladly chat anytime about books in person with you 3, but for a podca..."

OMG KIM, I cannot wait! That sounds awesome!


message 12: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) | 130 comments Mod
Meredith wrote: "I just finished listening to the podcast, and I think it was a good discussion, probably even more so because all three of you had differing opinions. (I feel like this might have been the most or ..."

Hey Mere, would you mind terribly posting this review (not the part about the yogurt lady if you don't mind) on iTunes and rating us? every review really helps!

Thanks!


message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Newman (taranewman) | 130 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "Just finished the Kushiels Dart podcast and listening to GotT now... I love you ladies, and would gladly chat anytime about books in person with you 3, but for a podcast, Id love a more moderated c..."

Kim & Sean - Thank you so much for the concrit. We are working on adjusting some of our segments for this Sunday's recording. Let us know if you think we are approving when you hear The Magicians Podcast!


message 14: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganbrinckerhoff) I'm so glad to hear that you guys are recording this Sunday! But bummed we'll have to wait so long to listen...I guess it does help break up the month when it comes to bookgroup, though! :)


message 15: by Sue (new)

Sue (ruri_kaichou) | 333 comments Mod
Megan wrote: "I'm so glad to hear that you guys are recording this Sunday! But bummed we'll have to wait so long to listen...I guess it does help break up the month when it comes to bookgroup, though! :)"

Yeah, this gives us a buffer just in case we can't record on our usual day. That way we don't have to release late. And if we have to, it would be very rare.


message 16: by Sue (new)

Sue (ruri_kaichou) | 333 comments Mod
Tara wrote: "(not the part about the yogurt lady if you don't mind)"

That's the best part!


message 17: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette (jmtrivera) | 517 comments Mod
Also, Megan and Susan, it means we can talk about books ALL the time. Which you know I would make my business if someone would pay me for it.


back to top