Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 GR Discussions > September Voting is OVER Books announced

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Jul 12, 2009 03:40PM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod

The Poll will stay up through Wednesday.

Still Alice (Brenda) Fifty year old Alice Howland, a world-renowned expert in linguistics and a cognitive psychology professor at Harvard is diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease. Still Alice is the story of the unraveling of Alice's life as her disease progresses.
The Hunger Games (Jennifer W)Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.
Southern Comfort (Jcwillis53) Page after page is filled with short stories that express to me the meaning of Southern Comfort. Every story is based on true-life experiences from my life as a Southern woman and is my diary of what is good and true about growing up and living in the South.
We Were the Mulvaneys(Jamie)Eden can't last forever. By the time all is said and done, a rape occurs, a daughter is exiled, much alcohol is consumed, and the farm is lost. Even to recount these events in retrospect is a trial for the Mulvaney offspring, one of whom declares: "When I say this is a hard reckoning I mean it's been like squeezing thick drops of blood from my veins."
The Forgotten Garden (angie) Inheriting a book of dark and intriguing fairytales written by Eliza Makepeace - the Victorian authoress who disappeared mysteriously in the early twentieth century - Cassandra takes her courage in both hands to follow in the footsteps of Nell on a quest to find out the truth about their history, their family and their past; little knowing that in the process, she will also discover a new life for herself.
Lost and Found(Renee) They have all been selected to compete on Lost and Found, a daring new reality TV show. In teams of two, they will race across the globe to battle for a million-dollar prize. They must decipher encrypted clues, recover mysterious artifacts, and outwit their opponents to stay in play. What starts as a lark turns deadly serious as the number of players is whittled down, temptations beckon, and the bonds between partners strain and unravel. Before long the question is not only who will capture the final prize, but at what cost.
The Blue Hour A Life of Jean Rhys (Nadia)best known for her 1966 novel Wide Sargasso Sea. A prequel to Jane Eyre, Rhys’s revolutionary work reimagined the story of Bertha Rochester—the misunderstood “madwoman in the attic” who was driven to insanity by cruelties beyond her control. Its examination of Rhys’s pain and loss charts her desperate journey from the jungles of Dominica to a British boarding school, and then into an adult life scarred by three failed marriages, the deaths of her two children, and her long battle with alcoholism.
Orange Mint and Honey A Novel (jo)Shay Dixon, a burnt-out grad student, has a visitation/fantasy/fever dream featuring Nina Simone, the high priestess of soul, who counsels Shay to go home. To do that, she must face Nona, the drunken failure of a mother she's not spoken to in seven years and blames for a harrowing childhood that left her emotionally scarred. Still, she takes Nina's advice, heads home to Denver and discovers that Nona's now an A.A. member with a good job, a lovely home and an adorable three-year-old girl, Sunny, Shay's half-sister. Their reconciliation is complicated by Shay's stubborn anger, Nona's A.A. sponsorship of a troubled young woman and Shay's sexual awakening.
Firefly Lane(Meg)For thirty years, Tully and Kate buoy each other through life, weathering the storms of friendship---jealousy, anger, hurt, resentment. They think they've survived it all until a single act of betrayal tears them apart...and puts their courage and friendship to the ultimate test. It's the story of a generation of women who were both blessed and cursed by choices. It's about promises and secrets and betrayals. And ultimately, about the one person who really, truly knows you---and knows what has the power to hurt you...and heal you.
The Great Lover (allhug) Nell Golightly is living out her widowhood in Cambridgeshire when she receives a strange request: a Tahitian woman, claiming to be the daughter of the poet Rupert Brooke, writes to ask what he was like: how did he sound, what did he smell like, how did it feel to wrap your arms around him? So Nell turns her mind to 1909 when, as a seventeen-year-old housemaid, she first encountered the young poet. He was already causing a stir. Intrigued, she watched as Rupert skilfully managed his male and female admirers, all of whom seemed to be in love with him. Soon Nell realised that despite her good sense, she was falling for him too. But could he love a housemaid? Was he, in fact, capable of love at all?
The Help Be prepared to meet three unforgettable women. Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

message 2: by Tera, First Chick (last edited Jul 12, 2009 04:08PM) (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
Opps! One of the books nominated The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane is actually our book of the month for August. I'm sorry I didn't catch that. If you had already voted for that book you can make a new vote now.
Good thing I nominated an extra book so we still have 12 up :)
Thanks
T~

message 3: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
It was a tie! 13 votes nabbed to two books for September
The Forgotten Garden Discussion Leader Angie
and
The Help Discussion Leader me :)

Angie since they were tied you can decide if you want to start off the month or pick up half way through with your book. Just let me know.

message 4: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments Oh good. I was planning on reading The Help next but when I saw it was nominated I figured I could wait until September. Looking forward to reading it with everyone.

Elizabeth (Alaska) The Forgotten Garden is on my Wish List, but I'm all tapped out on my book budget right now. I DO want to read it, so I'll be checking the library catalog!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Just FYI: The Help is currently 40% off at Barnes & Noble (in store, not sure online) for B&N Members! (No I don't work for B&N (anymore) lol! It's just a really good price!)

message 7: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I've already read 'The Forgotton Garden', which I enjoyed, so I'm looking forward to chatting about that one! - How many of us have read 'The House at Riverton'??? what did we think???

I'm also going to make sure I get a copy of 'The Help' as all of the glowing reviews make it a must-read!!!

Ally

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ally, I have House at Riverton on the shelf and am looking forward to it.

So many of you have read/are reading Elegance of the Hedgehog and have opened a thread on it. I NEED to get this one into the chain soon!

message 9: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments I just downloaded The Help, can't wait!

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg (megvt) | 3069 comments Did I tell you the coolest new thing about my library? We can now download audiobooks from our house as part of Listenup Vermont. I have 6 books on hold, am very excited about this new feature. Love the library!

message 11: by Nadia (new)

Nadia A (bagambo) I have never heard of The Forgotten Garden book, but I have heard so many fabulous things about The Help and am excited it was picked for September's book.

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I am excited about these 2 reads; both are on my list!

message 13: by Elena (last edited Jul 18, 2009 04:01PM) (new)

Elena | 129 comments I loved The House at Riverton and have heard The Forgotten Garden is also very good. I am looking forward to read it, and the other one also.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) So excited for "The Help"!

message 15: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Does anyone know which book we're reading first? I just got both of them and I am dying to start one!

message 16: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Looks like The Help is the first half of the month.

message 17: by Marsha (new)

Marsha (earthmarsha) | 1586 comments Thanks so much. That's the book I really wanted to start.

message 18: by Rose (new)

Rose (roseo) Me too, Marsha. I'm really enjoying it.

message 19: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I have to get The Help still, but just finished The Forgotten Garden and will only say I think you're in for a treat with this one!

message 20: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
nope forgotten garden second half of the month

message 21: by Monica (new)

Monica (imelda85) Both of these books I've been wanting to read for a long time! They've been waiting patiently on my bedside table! Great choices!

message 22: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Frantz (nicoleraephotos) | 12 comments I just ordered them from Amazon. Can't wait to get started reading and discussing again after a long break.