Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

Discussion > The Film made me want to Read the Book!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 111 (111 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Amazing films or shows you have seen that made you want to read the book asap!

message 2: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments 'Wild'. It was a story I wanted to read before watching the film, however, I was roped in to seeing it in theaters before I could crack open the book. The film was great and I immediately started the book, which I enjoyed as well. I kept thinking how well they adapted the story for a 2-hr movie.

Also, pretty clever that they used Cheryl Strayed as the woman in the truck who dropped off Reese Witherspoon and wished her "Good luck".

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Brett wrote: "'Wild'. It was a story I wanted to read before watching the film, however, I was roped in to seeing it in theaters before I could crack open the book. The film was great and I immediately started t..."
Brett....a man after my own heart! Wild has become a very important book for me, (read at the correct time in my life) I read the book then saw the film and loved both! I got very defensive of some reviews (alot from people who havent read the book) slandering Cheryl for her drug and sex behavior (which in my opinion its not hard to understand the psychology of reasoning for them) - the film seemed to make her out to be more sexually unhinged than the book (for eg- the film shows her getting pregnant to 'who knows?' where as the bok states who the father was...and if you look carefully we see a scene when she is shooting heroin of the man she is with...who we know as a reader was the babies dad). i loved both and so good to hear from someone else who feels similar. since you viewed first and i read first...did you find any surprises in the book?

message 4: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments The MINI SERIES : Band Of Brothers was so ridiculously fantastic, amazing 10/10 that although I'm sure the book will be more technical, I really want to make the effort and read the book.

Mini-series: The Thorn Birds (1983) is one of my all time faves, made me want to read the book

message 5: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments Kerry, I'm glad you enjoyed the film as well! And it's great both mediums struck a chord with you; it truly is a story worth listening to.

It's also a prime example of why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover (which, I admit, can be difficult at times). A few guy friends of mine are not interested because the 'boot' cover looks kind of girly. Boy, are they wrong... such a dark story.

To answer your question, I suppose I didn't find too many surprises in the book with the order of events. However, having Cheryl actually write about her mind-set during each event obviously added more depth to her story that the film simply couldn't capture (although, they still did a darn good job).

message 6: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments Now, you HAD to mention 'Band of Brothers' ... I am refraining from writing a novel-length response here because that mini-series is, hands down, one of my favorites. The author of the book, Stephen E. Ambrose, actually did a great job to keep the story rich with personal accounts and experiences of the war while not beating you over the head with loads of facts. Have you watched their second mini-series 'The Pacific'?

I've never heard of 'The Thorn Birds' as a book or mini-series; I will have to look into it!

message 7: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hi Brett, The THORN BIRDS is a book by Colleen McCullough which was adapted into a mini-series in 1983 (4parts) I have watched it since childhood (regularly still) and it is rich with parallells, just so...(bias) amazing mini series. I find series better than book.
BAND OF BROTHERS - I sat down and watched the whole thing a month or 2 ago, I had seen episodes here and there, (i admit i was also swayed by the multitude of actors I enjoy in it) but OMG what an accomplishment on every single facade of the series. Must read the book and thanks for the interpretation of the book. i must read your review if you have one. NO never saw The Pacific as I think there was an australian actress i dislike in it and i heard it was more about romance rather than a strong story- maybe im wrong and i should see it

message 8: by Brett (new)

Brett | -2 comments Haha, yeah there are a ton of actors in 'Band of Brothers' that were starting out at the time. My favorite to spot is Michael Fassbender. I wish I had reviews for you to read! For some reason, I just don't write reviews. I prefer to do what this group is all about; to have a discussion about the books!

If you enjoyed 'Band of Brothers', I would encourage you to watch 'The Pacific'. However, you must refrain from comparing the two. A lot of people didn't enjoy the second mini-series because it "wasn't anything like 'Band of Brothers'". Which is true, but it occurs during a different time / place of the war and covers different individuals. 'The Pacific' dives deeper into the psychological aspect of soldiers. There is some romance, but definitely not an excessive amount. That show also revealed some books (some are now my favorite) that the developers used to construct and map the story for the mini-series.

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I think you hit the nail on the head- people comparing the two mini-series. I will give the Pacific a go shortly when i get it and let you know what I think :) Maybe I will enjoy it (i enjoy psychology)

message 10: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments The Book Thief and now recently 11/22/63

message 11: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Not that I saw the film but I thought the commercials for the film A Walk Among the Tombstones looked good so I decided to read the book thinking I'd never watch the movie anyway. That book was so so so bad, and I mean painfully bad.

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hi Kisha, You saw THE BOOK THIEF before you read the book?
I have it ready to go. Yes 11/22/63 will be a mini series very soon :) Hester, I just looked up the Trailer for A WALK AMONG THE TOMESTONES and yes it does look very good! On my to watch list now

message 13: by kisha (last edited Aug 25, 2015 05:44AM) (new)

kisha | 14 comments No I read the book first. Oh wait I read the title of this thread backwards lol. So to answer the question correctly Along Came a Spider the movie made me want to read the book. And The Color Purple. I watched the movie a thousand times before I read the book. And the book was equally as great as the movie.

message 14: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I agree with THE COLOR PURPLE. like you- the film just AMAZING and i always knew it had been adapted and didnt start the book til maybe 2 yrs ago. good book but i loved the film so much i think it clouded my experience of the book.
I remember ALONG CAME A SPIDER - with Morgan Freeman? (what ISNT he in? :) hehe) I will add the book to the group. Must have been a good one.

message 15: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I read the Help recently by katheryn Stockett. I've seen the movies several times and when I finally sat down to read the book, I loved it more than the movie.

message 16: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments Maya wrote: "I read the Help recently by katheryn Stockett. I've seen the movies several times and when I finally sat down to read the book, I loved it more than the movie."

Maya, that was a really great book. I loved the movie as well. I watched the movie first and then read the book as well. I think had I read the book first I wouldn't have liked the movie. So I'm glad I did it the way that I did.

message 17: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kisha I did not realize Along came a spider was a book. I loved the movie. I have to look that one up

message 18: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments THE HELP was a great film, I started the book but never finished (another one left behind when i moved) what a large book!

message 19: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kerry wrote: "THE HELP was a great film, I started the book but never finished (another one left behind when i moved) what a large book!"

Kerry you have to finish that book one day!

message 20: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Maya wrote: "Kerry wrote: "THE HELP was a great film, I started the book but never finished (another one left behind when i moved) what a large book!"

Kerry you have to finish that book one day!"

yep Maya it's on my to get list :)

message 21: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments I cant believe I forgot about one of my favorite movies Antwone Fisher starring Denzel Washington.

I remember the book and movie were both excellent.

Finding Fish

message 22: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments Maya wrote: "I cant believe I forgot about one of my favorite movies Antwone Fisher starring Denzel Washington.

I remember the book and movie were both excellent.

Finding Fish"

I never knew it was book! I'll have to put that on my tbr.

message 23: by Maya (last edited Sep 11, 2015 05:47AM) (new)

Maya B | 61 comments you will enjoy it Keisha ☺

message 24: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Recently just watched THE REVENANT (2015 with Dicaprio) and am interested to read the book it was loosely based on (You can find history on the real Hugh Glass all over the net)

RESCUE DAWN i saw the other night and finally found that it WAS based on a book - one that is hard to find and is likely to not be re published Escape from Laos by Dieter Dengler i'M eager to give that a read.

message 25: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments Same here with The Revenant and Lin Manuel Miranda's musical adaptation of Alexander Hamilton.

message 26: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments nice onee im off 2 the library now :)

message 27: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments Sleepers, cuckoos nest, the town, gone baby gone

message 28: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I havn't actually read the (memoir?) of sleepers, the film was very good though. Cuckoos Nest- my mothers always loved the film, i went to watch it on a day i wasnt really in the mood and still have the book ready to go - so that story i am still planning on getting to. (although we all know about it) GBG ive heard of and dont know The Town

message 29: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments It was first published as prince of thieves

message 30: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments He swears it's about him and his friends though New York has no records of any of it

message 31: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Miranda wrote: "He swears it's about him and his friends though New York has no records of any of it"
can you post any links about that controversy here pls? also the author name

message 32: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments Lorenzo carcaterra, idk any links it just says it at the end of the book and movie so I googled him let me find it. I even bought the book in non fiction section. Sorry I was so excited that I didn't pay attention to my gramer

message 33: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments thats okay haha ive just added the book and am researching now, (like some controversy)

message 34: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments btw miranda everytime you post it posts it twice hon

message 35: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments I saw that

message 36: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 20 comments I think I was getting to excited I'm sorry guys

message 37: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments The Gunslinger The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1) by Stephen King Has anyone read this series? the movie is coming in 2017

message 38: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments No Maya I have heard of it but never read any. very cool (you can add that to the king thread too!

message 39: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kerry wrote: "No Maya I have heard of it but never read any. very cool (you can add that to the king thread too!"

I see its already been added. I hope to start in February

message 40: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments nice one! i may join. going 2 do The Danish Girl here aswell
(If you want to read still alice or room ill set up those links as others r for them)

message 41: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 61 comments Kerry wrote: "nice one! i may join. going 2 do The Danish Girl here aswell
(If you want to read still alice or room ill set up those links as others r for them)"

ok sounds good

message 42: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments awesome :) x

message 43: by Hester (new)

Hester (hesterprine) | 16 comments Beasts of No Nation, just watched it yesterday. Difficult to watch at times but worth it.

message 44: by Lulu (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 37 comments I equally enjoyed both the book and movie. Very moving.

message 45: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments great i will be looking that up, awesome Lulu maybe you can tell us more in the SPOT on thread? if both were awesome?

message 46: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "Beasts of No Nation, just watched it yesterday. Difficult to watch at times but worth it."

I just looked it up- sounds like something i would DEF be interested in!

message 47: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hester wrote: "Beasts of No Nation, just watched it yesterday. Difficult to watch at times but worth it." (and LULU)

I watched BEASTS OF NO NATION last night- I must say BRILLIANT PERFORMANCES BY THE CAPTAIN AND CHILD ACTORS in fact everyone was wonderful and I think it was incredibly well done film making.
However I didn't feel it was as brutal, hard 2 take etc etc as ppl made it out to be I've seen much worse, I think Blood Diamond and Hotel Rawanda were worse to view. BUt v good, It didnt make me want to run out and read the book, I wish I had read book first as , as the film went on I was becoming very 'hmm meh' about it.

message 48: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Coraline by Neil Gaiman I only saw this FAMILY FILM about a Month ago - loved it although creepy haha, but today found out it's a book, so yes def want to read this. :)
(I had found out as I wondered something about Coralines friend the boy in it - turns out he was made only for the film)

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie The Wolf of Wall Street. Love the movie, but the book was rather boring. Actually, the first part was good, but after that it dwindled.

message 50: by Dilek (new)

Dilek | 1 comments The very first book I read after seeing the movie was Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles. I was so impressed by the film that I bought the book and read it right away. I have to admit that I liked the book better (no suprise!) though.

« previous 1 3