Adaptation: Book VS Film discussion

It helped to see the film before reading the book...

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments This is sometimes the case. I found watching the film version of Toni Morrison's 'Beloved' before reading the book really helped me follow along with the material, which is very intense and can be quite a riddle at times and I absolutely loved the book.

WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN FIRST THAT HELPED YOU ENJOY OR UNDERSTAND THE BOOK EVEN MORE?

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) Infact I did watch' Burn Notice'before seeing the book.

message 3: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments I didn't know Burn Notice ( a tv show i do not like) was a book at all.....

message 4: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) Yes. I would add it to your group books.

message 5: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Will do. so did watching the show help you better understand the book material or enjoy it more?

message 6: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) I enjoyed it.

message 7: by Jerry (new)

Jerry (yjerry) Have already added the book for you.

message 8: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments That's funny Kerry I came here to say that about the Beloved. When I first read beloved in the 12th grade I was so lost until I watched the movie. Another one is Push by Saphire ( the movie is called Precious).

message 9: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Hey Kisha! Man it helped so much! i was able to really involve myself in that book because i had a good idea of the rhythm of it FROM the movie. I saw PRECIOUS before reading PUSH and i found push much (x100) more confronting controversial than the film. I think the film focuses so much on the abuse from men where as i was stunned by the abuse the mother subjected her to, (sickened) saying that one concept that i found was done better in the book was the guidance of the teacher

message 10: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments Kerry wrote: "one concept that i found was done better in the book was the guidance of the teacher
..."

message 11: by kisha (new)

kisha | 14 comments I agree. I wonder if that was intentional or was it because they really wanted Mariah Carey in the movie who played her character (I think). I was really surprised that the movie didn't focus on her being illiterate the way the book did.

message 12: by Kerry (new)

Kerry Casey (caseykerry) | 249 comments Yes I agree, there were alot of 'small' differences that added up to big character development things (and motivations). Not sure about the teacher thing. But in the book (Ms Rain wasnt it?) was pretty great. she gave an overall arc of hope to the story i thought.

message 13: by Remy (new)

Remy F. (remybaby) | 3 comments I saw the movie "Beastly" (based on the book by Alex Flinn) first and I think I appreciated the book more because of it because while I enjoyed the movie, I think they were both appropriate for their respective media formats/length restrictions.