The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > August/September group read: You, by Caroline Kepnes

Comments Showing 1-50 of 89 (89 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8618 comments Mod
Here is your space to discuss Caroline Kepnes' book You. Melli will be your discussion leader. Have fun!

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiecar) I'm new here and I have a question. When I put my cursor over the box to type a post, I get a message to read the group rules first, but when I try to click the link the bubble disappears. Can anyone tell me where the rules are?

I've had a copy of You lurking on my shelf for a long time and I'm looking forward to actually reading it.

message 3: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8618 comments Mod
Jackie wrote: "I'm new here and I have a question. When I put my cursor over the box to type a post, I get a message to read the group rules first, but when I try to click the link the bubble disappears. Can anyo..."

Welcome, Jackie! I've never seen that that message, but here you go:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 4: by Kirin (new)

Kirin I am so glad this book was picked for August. I just finished it last week!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments I'm looking forward to this, picked up a copy about a month ago.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiecar) Thanks , Nancy . The message goes away after you make your first post.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Just started this book today and it had been nearly impossible to put down. Can't wait to discuss with everyone. This should be a fun ride!

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiecar) Justin wrote: "Just started this book today and it had been nearly impossible to put down. Can't wait to discuss with everyone. This should be a fun ride!"

I had to stop to do the grocery shopping, but it was hard.

Eldritch Reading Reindeer 2021 In Cobwebs  (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 10 comments I bought it quite a while back, so this is an inspiration to read!

message 10: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments Hey guys, I'm glad that this book was chosen, and I get to lead the discussion, I'll give everyone some time to read a few chapters if u haven't already read it or haven't started, I do not want to spoil it, so when ever your ready to start discussing just post I'm ready and how far in the book you are so I can maybe post some questions for your thoughts. I'll check back in on Monday morning. Also if u have any questions u wants to post to discuss please feel free..

Happy reading

message 11: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'm ready to rock. I'm about 10-11 chapters in so far.

message 12: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments Ok so as not to spoil it, what do u think so far, ur first impressions

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Really enjoying it so far. It's very hard to put down, and I love the way it's written from the perspective of Joe. I also love the commentary it makes on cell phones and social media. It short, it's awesome.

message 14: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments It gives perspective about the flip side of social media and what could be done..

message 15: by Jackie (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:47AM) (new)

Jackie (jackiecar) I stopped at the end of chapter 9, and I probably won't have time to read again until Monday evening. It's a hard place to stop. The author uses a lot of teasing and foreshadowing to make us anticipate what happens next, and I am in the palm of her hand. I'm anxious to get back to this book.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments About to start chapter 13 and I am hooked, completely. Is it wrong that I like Joe??

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (jackiecar) I like him too. I'm practically rooting for him.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments I know!!!

message 19: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Yeah, he's definitely an anti-hero. I've found myself liking him, too, and then I remember who he is and what he's done. He reminds me a little of Dexter of you ever watched the show.

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments I've read the first couple of Dexter books but never really warmed to him. Joe's different, yes, he has severe issues (which is an understatement) but then again so does Beck. I'm not a fan of Beck, or her friends.

message 21: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 64 comments I put it on hold at the library - I'm first in line, so hopefully it won't be too long.

message 22: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Yeah, Beck is messed up, too. Her friends are obnoxious. There really isn't anyone to root for, but the author has accomplished something if Joe is the most likeable character. I'm about halfway through and wondering if something is going to happen that will change the direction of the story. Will she find out about Joe? Will Joe find out something about Beck that he didn't already know? Are her friends hiding something? How much more will how have to do to cover himself? So many questions....

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 407 comments I know what you mean, you're waiting for the moment that pushes things over the edge.

message 24: by Autumn (new)

Autumn (autumnmemory80) | 374 comments I bought this book on audible after seeing all the rave reviews. They went on and on about how obsessed they were with this book, and I have been looking forward to reading it! This just gives me the perfect opportunity to do so. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Autumn, I am usually skeptical of books when everyone is reading and raving about them. This one actually delivers so far. I noticed there is a sequel coming out early next year, too, so that's awesome.

message 26: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments It's not wrong to like joe, I like him/feel bad for him/want him to get the girl/ but at the same time I'm like OMG doesn't he she what's she is doing to him,

message 27: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments Justin I actually was trying to get a ARC of the sequel to do a review on my blog, haven't heard back anything yet

message 28: by VickiLee (new)

VickiLee | 483 comments I'm fascinated by all the exceptionally positive reactions to this novel. I may be one of the few that had reservations about it.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'm halfway through, but glad to see a sequel coming. Let me know if you land the ARC. That's awesome.

message 30: by Skraphappy (new)

Skraphappy | 3 comments I have this book on waitlist at my digital library. I have 1 reader ahead of me. I hope they finish soon. I really want to read this one.

The_Paperback_Peruser (paperback_peruser) | 82 comments Started reading this book today! I swear, i cant seem to put it down. Holy fuck, Joe!

message 32: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 38 comments Finished it last night. Gonna order the sequel today.

message 33: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments Michelle wrote: "Finished it last night. Gonna order the sequel today."

So what did u think? Is joe just desperate for love or is there really something else wrong with him..

message 34: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments I felt kinda bad for joe, because the whole story he was blind to the fact that he was in the friend zone, till the end.. Just when u thought things would work out... It's like Wth

message 35: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments Justin wrote: "Really enjoying it so far. It's very hard to put down, and I love the way it's written from the perspective of Joe. I also love the commentary it makes on cell phones and social media. It short, it..."

I did like the modern media touches

message 36: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments Justin wrote: "Yeah, he's definitely an anti-hero. I've found myself liking him, too, and then I remember who he is and what he's done. He reminds me a little of Dexter of you ever watched the show."

What makes him different than Dexter is that Dexter's victims are REALLY BAD people. Joe's are obnoxious and perhaps not very likeable but certainly not deserving of what Joe does to them

message 37: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 50 comments Unlike the rest of you, I disliked just about every character in the book and I saw Joe as a horrible stalker, obsessive, controlling personality and felt bad for his victims. He wasn't always treated the best, but his actions were vile IMHO.

message 38: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 38 comments Melli wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Finished it last night. Gonna order the sequel today."

So what did u think? Is joe just desperate for love or is there really something else wrong with him.."

I think HE thinks he is looking for love. But since Kepnes left a lot of his backstory out we have no idea how dysfunctional his family was. Also let's not forget how much an impact being locked up in a cage as a young boy must have had on him.

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I haven't had much time to finish this up, but still really enjoying it. This thing is line a twisted 500 Days of Summer. Just read through the Dickens scene. I just feel like Beck had more going on that I don't know about yet. Why does Joe keep falling for her? I have no idea.

message 40: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) Sorry for the auto correct below. Line should be Like. Had should be Has. That is all. :)

message 41: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments That's true Michelle, we don't know his back story, maybe we will learn more in book two. However the author should do a book, Joe his story!!!

message 42: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 38 comments I'm going to request the sequel from my library tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to let you know how much treatment Kepnes gives Joe's history by the end of the month.

message 43: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) The sequel isn't out until February 2016. We'll have to wait a kettle while to see what happens.

message 44: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 38 comments Ughh just saw that.

message 45: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 38 comments There is hope though. I have seen reviews for Hidden Bodies so there are opportunities for ARCs out there. Hopefully I'll win a giveaway.

message 46: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I need to learn how to do the whole ARC thing. All the cool kids get to read books early.

message 47: by Melli (new)

Melli | 19 comments Lol Justin.. Maybe they will do a giveaway here.. I heard for arc having a book blog helps.. With reviews

The_Paperback_Peruser (paperback_peruser) | 82 comments Can someone please explain me what he does with Nicky? I finished the book at 5AM and I feel like I missed something about Nicky.

Oh, and imo, I think it was unreal how easily he got to commit those murders.

message 49: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 117 comments I'm about halfway through, and it's starting to drag for me.

message 50: by Justin (new)

Justin (rockstarintraining) I'm with you Deborah. A little over halfway and I'm losing interest. I feel like she's relying too hard on graphic language and situations to push the story along.

« previous 1

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

You (other topics)
Hidden Bodies (other topics)