Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > Share pics of places that you think look like locations in a Heyer Novel

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (itsathought) | 32 comments I entertain myself by finding pictures on the internet of places that I think look like what Heyer described in a novel.

For Example, in Civil Contract Jenny & Lynton go on their Honeymoon at the pretty little place lent to them by Lady Nassington. I think this is what it looks like. http://i.imgur.com/fN4JcT9.jpg

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1136 comments Very pretty!

message 3: by Anne (last edited Aug 15, 2015 12:58PM) (new)

Anne | 265 comments Oh! The other day while visiting Lunenburg, in Nova Scotia, I drove by a foundry and it made me think of Frederica so much!! It looked old and exactly the kind Felix would have wanted to visit. Sadly I didn't have time to take a photo, but I just wanted to share it with you all :)

This is a fun thread!! I love seeing pictures and places and mentally placing them in a Heyer novel. I also love it when I'm traveling and I see a street name or a city name from a character or place in a GH novel!

@ Sara - Love your photo!! It's so gorgeous!! I haven't read Civil Contract yet, but I sure would want a honeymoon there myself ;)

message 4: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1276 comments I tried to visit the actual locations in GH's novels in London but I didn't quite make it there. Bath, though, is gorgeous and Heyer heroines and heroes would be right at home there still.

message 5: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4235 comments Mod
QNPoohBear wrote: "I tried to visit the actual locations in GH's novels in London but I didn't quite make it there. Bath, though, is gorgeous and Heyer heroines and heroes would be right at home there still."

It's all a long time ago but I loved Bath & thought of The Black Sheep & Bath Tangle the whole time I was there!

message 6: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum | 3895 comments Sara wrote: "I entertain myself by finding pictures on the internet of places that I think look like what Heyer described in a novel.

For Example, in Civil Contract Jenny & Lynton go on their Honeymoon at the ..."

Just a nice little honeymoon cottage... Gorgeous picture!

message 7: by Sara (new)

Sara (itsathought) | 32 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "I tried to visit the actual locations in GH's novels in London but I didn't quite make it there. Bath, though, is gorgeous and Heyer heroines and heroes would be right at home there still."
You have just described my dream vacation.

message 8: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1276 comments Sara wrote: "QNPoohBear wrote: "I tried to visit the actual locations in GH's novels in London but I didn't quite make it there. Bath, though, is gorgeous and Heyer heroines and heroes would be right at home there still."
You have just described my dream vacation. "

Mine too Sara. I'm aiming for September 2018 during the Jane Austen Festival. I'd like to spend a day in London, back to Bath, back to the Cotswolds and to Oxford. That would be my dream vacation. Next time I visit Bath I want to stay in a self-catering establishment so I need to get some other people to stay with me. Of course I need a real job first or I can't go anywhere.

message 9: by Amy (last edited Oct 13, 2015 12:23PM) (new)

Amy (aggieamy) | 422 comments Sara wrote: "I entertain myself by finding pictures on the internet of places that I think look like what Heyer described in a novel.

Karlyne wrote: "Just a nice little honeymoon cottage... Gorgeous picture! "

A nice little honeymoon cottage indeed. The type of place where honeymooners can go for days without running into each other.

message 10: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Methuen | 51 comments Sara wrote: "I entertain myself by finding pictures on the internet of places that I think look like what Heyer described in a novel.

How about this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Do.... It is what I had always imagined.

message 11: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4235 comments Mod
Charlotte wrote: "Sara wrote: "I entertain myself by finding pictures on the internet of places that I think look like what Heyer described in a novel.

For Example, in Civil Contract Jenny & Lynton go on their Hone..."

Pretty house!

message 12: by Skyla (last edited May 17, 2020 03:06PM) (new)

Skyla (skyla99) | 54 comments I don't know why, but when I stumbled across this photo on the internet I thought it seemed like a country house from The Grand Sophy, I can just picture her arriving here with the monkey :)

Photographs of English Castles and Manor Houses

Also, I always pictured this mansion when I read about Julian's country house Worth from Regency Buck...

Belton House | Carolean architecture is England's only true ...

message 13: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Methuen | 51 comments Oh, lovely, where is that second one?

message 14: by Skyla (new)

Skyla (skyla99) | 54 comments Thanks, that is the National Trust Belton House in Lincolnshire, England. I've always wanted to go see it in person, but that dream has yet to come true...

message 15: by QNPoohBear (last edited May 17, 2020 07:03PM) (new)

QNPoohBear | 1276 comments The Poldark saga is a good choice for visualizing Heyer's world. Though it's set in Cornwall and mostly filmed there, they used other properties as well and digitally recreated Georgian London. The books offer other clues as to places especially relating to Frederica.

Chavenage House in Gloucestershire in the Cotswolds is an Elizabethan manor used in Poldark could be a Heyer location. Perhaps in These Old Shades?

I took tons of pictures in Bath. I really wanted to go to Mayfair but I didn't have the energy and the weather wasn't great for walking around.
Bath : walking in Jane Austen's footsteps