The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 15.10 - Nanowrimo!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 18, 2015 06:22AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10973 comments Mod
15.10 - Nanowrimo!
Help Thread
November is NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth. When the going gets tough, writers need pep talks (and chocolate). Check out some of the inspirational letters written by well-known authors at the Nanowrimo Pep Talk page. Choose an author who has written a pep talk and read any book they have written* (that fits within the rules of the SRC). Books written by multiple authors may be used only if all authors have written a pep talk.

*Only authors that are identified as authors (or a default blank in the author role field), co-authors, or contributors may be used for tasks involving author information. Other roles or functions such as editor, illustrator, artist, translator, introduction, designed by, foreword, preface, assistant or afterword may not be used for author-sourced tasks. Ask about other roles identified in a Goodreads record in the season's General Questions help thread.

Optional: Since there's no better pep talk than the glowing feedback of a happy reader, make an author's day by leaving a good review here on Goodreads or, better yet, by sending the author a personal note saying how much you loved his or her book. Believe me, that'll keep 'em writing happily for days! ;-)

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Oct 01, 2015 11:06AM) (new)

2014 Pep Talks:

Jim Butcher
Kami Garcia
Tamora Pierce
Veronica Roth
Brandon Sanderson
Chuck Wendig

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 682 comments Does it have to be one of the 2014 Pep-Talkers or can it be from any year?

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Boston Kate wrote: "Does it have to be one of the 2014 Pep-Talkers or can it be from any year?"

Nope. Any year.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Does this book qualify?
James Patterson wrote a pep talk in 2013
2nd Chance

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Does this book qualify?
James Patterson wrote a pep talk in 2013
2nd Chance"

Afraid not. The task says "Books written by multiple authors may be used only if all authors have written a pep talk." It doesn't appear as if Andrew Gross has done one.

message 10: by Kristina Simon (last edited Oct 01, 2015 11:10AM) (new)

Just a heads up. In preparation for NanoWriMo 2015, which starts next month, the NanoWriMo webpage has been updated.

If you haven't chosen your book, yet, they've just added the 2015 Pep Talks: Diana Gabaldon, Charlaine Harris, N. K. Jemisin, Stephanie Perkins, and Gene Luen Yang. So all those authors will work for this task, too.

They haven't added the 2014 Pep talks to the lists at the bottom of the website, yet. So I've added those authors to post 2 above for reference.

message 11: by Donna (new)

Donna | 1173 comments I just wanted to say thanks for this task. I ended up finding a new favorite author by completing this. I love it when that happens.

message 12: by Kristina Simon (last edited Oct 23, 2015 05:12PM) (new)

Donna wrote: "I just wanted to say thanks for this task. I ended up finding a new favorite author by completing this. I love it when that happens."

That's great, Donna. I love it when that happens to me, too! I've found so many books and authors I never would have before joining the SRC. Between looking for book for myself and seeing what you guys read for different tasks, my TBR list just keeps getting longer and longer. And that makes me insanely happy! LOL ;-)