The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 15.9 - Animal Guides

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10890 comments Mod
15.9 - Animal Guides
According to Native American tradition, each individual is connected with nine different animal guides, or totems, which accompany them through life. Different totems come and go as your direction in life changes. Choose a totem from the North American Totems list and read a book that contains the name of that animal in its title or subtitle. Plurals and possessives are OK, but no other variations. Note: There are 2 pages of totems.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 15, 2015 06:20AM) (new)

Note: Either animal may be used for Boar/Pig and Heron/Egret. Both do NOT need to appear in the title.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2452 comments Would this work? The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays and Homeless Cats. I wanted to check as it has Art > Photography as a genre from two users.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Trish wrote: "Would this work? The Silent Miaow: A Manual for Kittens, Strays and Homeless Cats. I wanted to check as it has Art > Photography as a genre from two users."

From the review, it sounds like it would be fine but I don't have the book in hand. Since you do, if it seems to have at least 100 pages worth of text in it then it will work. If you find it's more pictures than words, then it wouldn't fit the SRC rules.

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2452 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "From the review, it sounds like it would be fine but I don't have the book in hand. Since you do, if it seems to have at least 100 pages worth of text in it then it will work. If you find it's more pictures than words, then it wouldn't fit the SRC rules."

Looks good in that case. While it's got about 50 photos, not all of them are full page and the book is 157pg. So I think it squeaks through.

message 8: by Kristina Simon (new)

Trish wrote: "Looks good in that case. While it's got about 50 photos, not all of them are full page and the book is 157pg. So I think it squeaks through. "

Cool. It sounds like a really cute book. Snuck its way onto my TBR pile, too. ;-)

message 9: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose a mammoth would work as an elephant?

What Could Possibly Go Wrong (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6) by Jodi Taylor

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

puppitypup wrote: "This is probably a dumb question, but I don't suppose a mammoth would work as an elephant?

What Could Possibly Go Wrong (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6) by Jodi Taylor"

You're looking for the name of an animal in the title of the book, not a picture of it on the cover. And, since the task says no variations then, no, mammoth wouldn't work even if it was in the title.

message 11: by Claire (new)

message 12: by puppitypup (last edited Oct 05, 2015 04:52PM) (new)

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

puppitypup wrote: "Would The Scarecrow King or Deerskin or The Bronze Horseman work?"

Task description says "Plurals and possessives are OK, but no other variations." So, no, compound words don't work.