The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 15.1 - The Twins

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristina Simon (last edited Aug 15, 2015 06:35AM) (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10784 comments Mod
15.1 - The Twins
In the mythology of the Xingu people of Brazil, twin brothers Kuat and Iae occupied the sun and the moon. In honor of the twins, read TWO books with exactly the same title. All words, numbers, and symbols count. One word titles may be used. Subtitles should be ignored.

message 2: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 3: by Kristina Simon (new)

placeholder

message 4: by Kristina Simon (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Anything after a colon is considered the subtitle, yes? So I could read Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth and Batman: Year One, with "Batman" being the title, for example? I want to make sure I have the right idea :D

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Megan wrote: "Anything after a colon is considered the subtitle, yes? So I could read Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth and Batman: Year One, with "Batman" being ..."

Correct.

message 7: by Megan (new)

Megan Anderson (ms_anderson) | 1481 comments Awesome. Thank you!

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3606 comments do these count as same title?
2nd Chance
Second Chance

message 9: by Kristina Simon (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "do these count as same title?
2nd Chance
Second Chance"

No, sorry, the titles must be exactly the same.

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela3265) | 979 comments This is great! I actually had two on my TBR list with the same title:

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen.

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Pamela wrote: "This is great! I actually had two on my TBR list with the same title:

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer and Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen."

Excellent example! Enjoy.

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3816 comments I can beat that, Pamela. I found 2 books on my own shelves at home: Shaman by Robert Shea and Shaman by Noah Gordon. And both are 519 pages long!

message 13: by Kristina Simon (new)

Bea wrote: "I can beat that, Pamela. I found 2 books on my own shelves at home: Shaman by Robert Shea and Shaman by Noah Gordon. And both are 519 pag..."

Holy cow! Those really are twins.....

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2965 comments Are they published in the same year?

message 15: by Bea (last edited Aug 16, 2015 04:26AM) (new)

Bea | 3816 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "Are they published in the same year?"

No, but close. The Gordon book was published in 1992 and the Shea one in 1991.

But the subtitle for both is "a novel".

What will be interesting is that the Gordon book is about a doctor in the West and the Shea book is about a mix-breed Indian. Similar setting and time frame but different points of view, I think.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Works for me! Here's a couple on my TBR list. Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson and Speak by Louisa Hall

message 17: by Elizabeth (last edited Aug 16, 2015 10:51AM) (new)

message 18: by Catie (new)

Catie | 193 comments This challenge is the perfect kick I needed to get round to reading one of the Austen project retellings.

If anyone else likes a bit of Austen, these are the ones that are published so far, and work for the challenge...

Emma and Emma: A Modern Retelling
Northanger Abbey and Northanger Abbey

(unfortunately, the retelling of Sense and Sensibility is titled Sense & Sensibility, so I presume it doesn't fit the rules of "must match exactly")

message 19: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Catie wrote: "This challenge is the perfect kick I needed to get round to reading one of the Austen project retellings.

If anyone else likes a bit of Austen, these are the ones that are published so far, and w..."

I had seen the Northanger Abbey one, but I didn't realize it was a whole *thing*. Very cool. Thanks for the share :D

message 20: by Kristina Simon (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "How about Captive Prince: Volume One and Captive Prince: Volume Two?"

Anything behind the colon is considered subtitle, which you should ignore. So, yes, that works.

message 21: by Kristina Simon (new)

Catie wrote: "This challenge is the perfect kick I needed to get round to reading one of the Austen project retellings."

The Emma and Northanger Abbey retellings look great, Catie. And, yes, unfortunately, you're correct about the Sense and Sensibility titles. They won't work because of the substitution of the & for "and."

message 22: by Heather(Gibby) (new)

Heather(Gibby) (heather-gibby) | 837 comments These work-unfortunately I am almost finished reading the first one, but hopefully someone else can use it. The Alchemist byPaulo Coelho
The Alchemist by Ben Jonson

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1467 comments Another option for those who enjoy romantic suspense:

On Thin Ice by Anne Stuart
On Thin Ice by Cherry Adair

message 24: by Kristina Simon (new)

Thanks for the suggestions!

message 26: by Whitnie (new)

Whitnie | 281 comments Just want to make sure my choices for this one are okay. The Burning Time by Carol Matas and The Burning Time by Robin Morgan

message 27: by Kristina Simon (new)

Whitnie wrote: "Just want to make sure my choices for this one are okay. The Burning Time by Carol Matas and The Burning Time by Robin Morgan"

When asking a question, you need to include links to the books. You can find out how to do this here: Add Book/Author & Add Cover

message 29: by Kristina Simon (new)

puppitypup wrote: "Will these work?

Killing Time by Linda Howard
Killing Time by Cindy Gerard"

Yes.

message 30: by puppitypup (new)

puppitypup | 272 comments Thanks Kristina. By the way, I'm an identical twin, so I like this task :)

message 31: by Jamie (last edited Sep 22, 2015 08:17AM) (new)

Jamie | 467 comments I have a question, although I might not use this but there is a book

Comfort and Joy by Jim Grimsley
Comfort and Joy
that is listed on Goodreads as Comfort AND Joy but the image of the book shows Comfort & Joy.

There are actually several "twin" options for both versions but I wondered which one would be the one to use?

And I apologize for troubling you since I might not end up using this (will depend somewhat on the answer actually) but I saw this and then wondered.

Finally, some of the "twins" are anthologies, that's okay, right?

Comfort and Joy

Not anthology but uses the ampersand in the Goodreads listing
Comfort & Joy

message 32: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jamie wrote: "And I apologize for troubling you since I might not end up using this (will depend somewhat on the answer actually) but I saw this and then wondered."

No worries, Jamie. Whether you end up using them or not, here's your answer. ;-)

The titles have to be exactly the same as listed in the links (not on the covers) on Goodreads. So, the pairing of Comfort and Joy by Jim Grimsley and Comfort and Joy by Fern Michaels (and others) would work because the links to both titles have the word "and" spelled out. Comfort & Joy wouldn't work with either of these but would work with Comfort & Joy by India Knight because both links have the ampersand. Make sense?

And, yes, anthologies are fine.

message 33: by Jamie (last edited Sep 22, 2015 04:58PM) (new)

Jamie | 467 comments Yes and thanks!

I figured it would be the listing but obviously had to check.