Baker Street Irregulars discussion

Your Sherlock Holmes?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paula (new)

Paula I admit I have no favorites. However, I really enjoy when Holmes exhibits his wry humor. Even if it's not mentioned in the narrative (and most likely is not), one can almost see a raised eyebrow and a sly smile.

message 2: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 155 comments I do like the stories that have good villains - Baron Gruner, Dr. Roylott, Milverton, even Rucastle. I also like the tales where Holmes makes a distinction between the law and justice (Milverton, Abbey Grange).

message 3: by Fr. Richard (new)

Fr. Richard | 1 comments I really like "A Scandal in Bohemia". There's no real crime at work, and so the story is a bit more light-hearted than some of the others.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Girardin | 6 comments I like to see Holmes when he is on the trail of an impossible case, sniffing out clues, while leaving Scotland yard (and sometimes Watson) absolutely baffled. And any little touches of English wit are always welcome!

message 5: by Harrison (last edited Apr 23, 2016 02:31PM) (new)

Harrison Kitteridge (harrisonkitteridge) | 3 comments I'm not a Holmes purist, so I find attributes I enjoy in most of the better-known iterations of the character. I think the stories I'm the most drawn to are the ones that give a bit of a peek behind the curtain into his emotional life. He's very controlled and can be quite cold, but he cares deeply about justice and fairness. Every now and then there are rare flashes of strong emotion (like when Watson is injured in The Adventure of the Three Garridebs) that give a more complete picture. I like that he fails sometimes, that he gets outfoxed, that he falls into melancholia, that he's had nervous breakdowns. He's survived this long and continues to resonate because he's a "real" person.

Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Paper Journal by Harrison Kitteridge
Sherlock Holmes and the Adventure of the Paper Journal

message 6: by Grace Meredith (new)

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I've only read a couple, but I think my favorite is probably The Hound of the Baskervilles, both the book and the episode. When Sherlock turned up in that house, to surprise John: #priceless.

em~thatdemmedelusivemurderess~ (thatdemmedelusivemurderess) | 8 comments I think I've got about three favorites: The Speckled Band, The Beryl Coronet and The Yellow Face.
The Speckled Band is one of the only ones that really made me uneasy, and I admit I was at a loss for any clue of what was really going on.
The Beryl Coronet I liked mostly for the sake of Arthur, whose character intrigued me greatly, but I was also much fond of the idea itself, which I did not necessarily expect, but which gave me a feeling that I almost knew something the whole time, but that the answer was only just out of my grasp.
The Yellow Face intrigued me as well, and I'll not deny it's a matter of pride with me that my complete suppositions were once more accurate than those of Sherlock Holmes. The fact that he was wrong at all, and the way he reacted to having been wrong was touching and revealing, I think.
I'm also rather fond of The Copper Beeches, as I may or may not have been squealing a little when he kept thinking of Miss Hunter as a sister. (Also, never forget that Watson once legit shipped Holmes with this very same Miss Violet Hunter, because that's important.)

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 50 comments Definitely the best stories give a peek into the emotional life of Holmes. As fun as the adventures are, we're always just sitting on the edge of our seats waiting for him to fall off the fence of strict rationality into the section marked "hero" or "villain". JK Rowling twigged this fascination and ran to the bank with it with Snape.

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 139 comments Interesting that some of these comments mention appreciating Holmes emotional life and thinking of Violet Hunter as he would think of a sister since the Enola Holmes series has been in the news so much lately. Not only is the basis of the "Doyle Estate's" lawsuit that it brings in Holmes emotional nature, which they claim you only see in the 10 stories that are still under copyright in the U S.
Also interesting that some of the best stories feature a manipulative or abusive husband or father - the domestic abuse angle makes them seem very modern.