The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > 5.2 - The Sun and the Moon

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15683 comments Mod
5.2.The Sun and the Moon
In one of the Incan creation myths, the creator plucked the sun and the moon from Lake Titicaca. The sun became jealous because the moon was equally bright, so threw ashes into the moon's face to darken it.

Read a book with the sun or the moon on the cover. There must be enough of the sun or the moon to make it obvious, but it need not be completely shown.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Nov 01, 2015 03:49PM) (new)

message 3: by Sandy (last edited Sep 12, 2015 04:33AM) (new)

won't work:
The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3) by Mary Stewart Kalahari (Corpus, #3) by Jessica Khoury South of Darkness by John Marsden The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks Darkness Falls (Reveler #1) by Erin Kellison All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant Morrison

message 4: by Sandy (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Will illustrations be acceptable? Such as the sun on this cover?

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Thanks!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Susan wrote: "Will illustrations be acceptable? Such as the sun on this cover?

Thanks!"

yes - it is clearly a sun.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan Wojtas | 245 comments Sandy wrote: "Susan wrote: "Will illustrations be acceptable? Such as the sun on this cover?

Thanks!"

yes - it is clearly a sun."

Thank you!

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Can you approve the sun on this cover please?
Three of Hearts (Hamden, #1) by W. Ferraro

message 9: by Sandy (new)

Vicki wrote: "Can you approve the sun on this cover please?
Three of Hearts (Hamden, #1) by W. Ferraro"

yep, it's there.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Aug 16, 2015 02:40AM) (new)

Sarah Bramble | 177 comments I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson can this be approved please :)

message 11: by Sandy (new)

Sarah wrote: "I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson can this be approved please :)"

yes

message 12: by Lindy-Lane (new)

Lindy-Lane (moonbacklit) | 590 comments is this showing enough of the moon (looks to be a quarter moon):

The Cosmic Clues by Manjiri Prabhu by Manjiri Prabhu

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Lindy-Lane wrote: "is this showing enough of the moon (looks to be a quarter moon):

The Cosmic Clues by Manjiri Prabhu by Manjiri Prabhu"

yes.

message 14: by Meg (new)

Meg (megscl) | 1522 comments Is this enough sun? South of Darkness by John Marsden

message 15: by Sandy (new)

Meg wrote: "Is this enough sun? South of Darkness by John Marsden"

I don't see a sun on that cover - just a brightness in the sky.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Is this cover showing enough of the moon (its in the window) - Hunter of Shadows (Moonlight, #5) by Nancy Gideon ?

Does this one work (the moon is kind of small) - Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2) by Leslie Parrish ?

Thanks

message 17: by Sandy (new)

Lauren wrote: "Is this cover showing enough of the moon (its in the window) - Hunter of Shadows (Moonlight, #5) by Nancy Gideon?

Does this one work (the moon is kind of small) - Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2) by Leslie Parrish?

Thanks"

both will work. Be sure to point them out when you post.

message 18: by Christine (last edited Aug 17, 2015 05:53AM) (new)

Christine | 710 comments Is the sun clearly enough defined on this cover to qualify? Thanks!

The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3) by Mary Stewart

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Christine wrote: "Is the sun clearly enough defined on this cover to qualify? Thanks!

The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3) by Mary Stewart"

sorry, no - that's another one where you can see the brightness, but not really a sun.

message 20: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Will do.
Thanks Sandy :0)

message 21: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Is this obvious as a moon, somewhat in the clouds?

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

Thanks in advance.

message 22: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Kalahari (Corpus, #3) by Jessica Khoury So I am guessing from the above this isn't enough for sun? You can see the curve a little, but might fall more to the glare?

I was thinking good, but now with some of the others I'm not so sure. Thanks!

message 23: by Sandy (new)

Tara Jo wrote: "Is this obvious as a moon, somewhat in the clouds?

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

Thanks in advance."

that is obviously a moon, so it works.

message 24: by Sandy (new)

Morgan wrote: "Kalahari (Corpus, #3) by Jessica Khoury So I am guessing from the above this isn't enough for sun? You can see the curve a little, but might fall more to the glare?

I was thinking good, but now with some o..."

I'm going to have to say no. The bright areas are nice and bright, but there isn't anything to delineate, even partly, a sun.

message 25: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Sandy wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Kalahari (Corpus, #3) by Jessica Khoury So I am guessing from the above this isn't enough for sun? You can see the curve a little, but might fall more to the glare?

I was thinking good, but ..."

Thanks Sandy! Good thing I asked. lol. I'm sure it will find a new home elsewhere. Lord knows I have plenty of moons picked out after summer season. ;)

message 26: by JennRenee (last edited Aug 17, 2015 03:18PM) (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments will the actual moon- fictional i guess- work 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad

message 27: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments Looking at some of my next in series: The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5) by Kerry Greenwood or The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2) by Terry Pratchett ?

message 28: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1332 comments The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba Bray The Diviners
On either side of THE is the symbol of the sun and moon
Will this count?

message 29: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 04:03AM) (new)

JennRenee wrote: "will the actual moon- fictional i guess- work 172 Hours on the Moon by Johan Harstad"

It seems as if they're on the moon, so you can't really see it. However, that appears to be the sun in the background, so that works. And, if it's actually supposed to be the moon instead, that's ok too. Either way, it works.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Morgan wrote: "Looking at some of my next in series: The Green Mill Murder (Phryne Fisher, #5) by Kerry Greenwood or The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2) by Terry Pratchett?"

both work

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Deborah wrote: "The Diviners (The Diviners, #1) by Libba BrayThe Diviners
On either side of THE is the symbol of the sun and moon
Will this count?"

yes

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandra72) | 726 comments How about this one for moon?

The Witch of Painted Sorrows (The Daughters of La Lune, #1) by M.J. Rose

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Sandra wrote: "How about this one for moon?

The Witch of Painted Sorrows (The Daughters of La Lune, #1) by M.J. Rose"

that works.

message 34: by Lulu (last edited Aug 18, 2015 08:06AM) (new)

Lulu (robotwitch) How about these:

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice * Nightmares! (Nightmares!, #1) by Jason Segel The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5) by Patrick Rothfuss Dark Entries by Robert Aickman Eifelheim by Michael Flynn City of Saints and Madmen (Ambergris, #1) by Jeff VanderMeer

* there's a small crescent moon in the corner.

message 35: by Sandy (last edited Aug 18, 2015 10:07AM) (new)

Lulu wrote: "How about these:

Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1) by Anne Rice* Nightmares! (Nightmares!, #1) by Jason Segel The Slow Regard of Silent Things (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2.5) by Patrick Rothfuss Dark Entries by Robert Aickman [bookcover..."

Nightmares is a childrens book that does not meet SRC requirements. The others work.

message 36: by Wanda (new)

Wanda (oma1229) | 1672 comments Is there enough of the moon After Dead What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse, #13.5) by Charlaine Harris showing on this book cover?

message 37: by Sandy (new)

Wanda wrote: "Is there enough of the moon After Dead What Came Next in the World of Sookie Stackhouse (Sookie Stackhouse, #13.5) by Charlaine Harrisshowing on this book cover?"

yes

message 38: by Nicola (new)

Nicola | 1415 comments Would Dictionary of the Khazars (Male Edition) by Milorad Pavić be acceptable for 'moon'.

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Nicola wrote: "Would Dictionary of the Khazars (Male Edition) by Milorad Pavić be acceptable for 'moon'."

yes, there are visible crescent moons on the cover

message 40: by Book Concierge (last edited Aug 21, 2015 08:13AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3653 comments Moon on cover: From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Moon on cover: From the Earth to the Moon (Extraordinary Voyages, #4) by Jules Verne"

yes

message 42: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Vestal (jennanicole521) Would this version of Wuthering Heights be acceptable for 'moon'? Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

This is the edition that I have, and although I believe the moon is clearly visible, I thought that there might be some issues with it being such a popular novel. Thanks in advance!

message 43: by Sandy (new)

Jenna wrote: "Would this version of Wuthering Heights be acceptable for 'moon'? Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

This is the edition that I have, and although I believe the moon is clearly visible, I though..."

That works. There's no issue with using a novel that's popular.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Hi, wanna know if these both fit the task, so I can choose:
Solar by Ian McEwan and Cuentos breves y extraordinarios by Jorge Luis Borges
Thanks!

message 45: by Sandy (new)

Kelly wrote: "Hi, wanna know if these both fit the task, so I can choose:
Solar by Ian McEwan and Cuentos breves y extraordinarios by Jorge Luis Borges
Thanks!"

yes

message 46: by Ronda (new)

Ronda Wingo (rondasue27) | 82 comments The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks ?

message 47: by Sandy (new)

Ronda wrote: "The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks?"

Sorry, as far as I can see, there is no defined sun or moon there - just a brightness in the sky.

message 48: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Would this be okay? It's a moon but also used as the O in the title so I'm not sure.

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Thank you!

message 49: by Sandy (new)

Cait wrote: "Would this be okay? It's a moon but also used as the O in the title so I'm not sure.

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Thank you!"

that's okay - it's clearly a visible moon, so it works.

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7540 comments Darkness Falls (Reveler #1) by Erin Kellison - I think there is a peek of a moon over his left shoulder...

« previous 1