Book Haven discussion

Ereaders

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ronel (new)

Ronel Smit | 2 comments What reader would you suggest I buy?? I had a Gobii but now I need a new one and cat decide.. I'm not in love with the kindle simply beacuse it has no colour... I love to view my books cover in colour.......

message 2: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments try a nook color. i got mine from a friend and love it

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Maybe take a look at the Kobo lineup? I don't trust the Nook/B&N to stay in business.

Or perhaps an android tablet!

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I know the Nook has had a lot of bad raps, but I'm a voracious reader, and I owned them all, and loved them all. I currently own the Samsung Nook tablet, and it's great. You can download EPUB books, as well as Kindle books. However, I do most of my reading on my older Nook HD tablet. I have a stand for it, and don't have to hold it. Love my e-readers.

message 5: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Davies I've got a kindle fire. I love it. it's in colour as it is like a tablet. I have not had any issues with it. At the moment in Uk they are on special offer. Both my kids want one for Christmas

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments The Kindle is on sale at the moment in the US too. I blogged about it in the big sale post today:

www.BearMountainBooks.com

Here's a link to one of the deals:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I15SB16/?...

You can see the other deals from that page.

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments The problem with the Amazon e-readers is that you can't get everything in a compatible version. As far as I know, they won't download EPUB books. I use Overdrive, and most of the books offer EPUB and Kindle, but if you look at the number of books available for Kindle, they are not nearly as many.

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments I think there is a deal on Nook for 10 dollars off too. Let me see if I can find it. Yes,

The Nook Glowlight Plus, gets $10 off (with a final salesprice of $119. But I can't find the exact link. Will look for it.

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I like the Nook Samsung I bought. BUT...my favorite Nook is the older HD tablet. I just wish B&N would have put a decent battery in it.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Kathy wrote: "The problem with the Amazon e-readers is that you can't get everything in a compatible version. As far as I know, they won't download EPUB books. I use Overdrive, and most of the books offer EPUB a..."

Yes, that can be true. For epub books, check out the Kobo readers. They take epub just like the Nook ones AND they have a waterproof model:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/c...

message 11: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I had one of the first kobo. Then a kindle keyboard, now a nook

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 21 comments I should say that the Samsung Nook is great for not just reading, you can actually surf, and download a lot of Google Play apps. No lag. But, if all you want to do is read, the Nook HD suits the bill, and would probably not cost nearly as much as I paid for it years ago. I put a micro SD card in it to save the books that I bought. If you need something to take with you places, don't by the HD. The batter is awful. However, the Samsung Nook is great.

message 13: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 440 comments I love nook except for battery life

message 14: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I have 6 Kindles, starting with the Kindle 1, which is actually just a kindle, since they didn't need to number them back then!

if all you are doing is reading books, black and white is all you need. the fancier you get, the more expensive. If you want a tablet, get a tablet, but you won't be able to take advantage of Kindle device specific offers, like free kindle lending library. the fire is a decent tablet, and you can get software to read other formats.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 26 comments I just bought an Amazon Fire, was only 35 quid so couldn't refuse that price. Plus it's got the handy apps like Skype.

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Michael wrote: "I just bought an Amazon Fire, was only 35 quid so couldn't refuse that price. Plus it's got the handy apps like Skype."

I saw that deal yesterday. Looks like it's still good today. Kobo is running a 20 dollar off the KoboGlo:

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/c...

message 17: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 26 comments It is still live I think, but be warned the 35 quid price comes with adverts and advertising screensavers if you can live with that. I paid a tenner to get these off, so came to 44 quid. I think it's still reasonable but obviously I was suckered into buying something only 6 quid cheaper in the end than the normal price. It's a gift for my mum :)

message 18: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Yes, I checked:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TSUGXKE/r...

It's still live. I updated the blog deals to reflect it was still on sale. It's a pretty incredible deal even with the adverts (which I wish they would just give up on and get rid of entirely.)

message 19: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments the "special offers" on the Kindle are confined to the startup screen, they aren't obtrusive. no pop ups while you're reading. and if you don't like them, it's only another $15US to turn them off.

message 20: by Connie (new)

Connie (congomez) Advertisements are very unobstrusive.love my kindle

message 21: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeldiack) | 26 comments damn, that is very good feedback from you all :) I already removed the adverts but after reading this I would have kept them. Still, a very good deal regardless. thanks everyone!

message 22: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider (bearmountainbooks) | 111 comments Michael wrote: "damn, that is very good feedback from you all :) I already removed the adverts but after reading this I would have kept them. Still, a very good deal regardless. thanks everyone!"

I have the adverts and frankly I don't like them so you are probably better off without them. They aren't in the books, but I don't like them. I just haven't gotten around to taking them off!