Shakespeare Fans discussion

Antony and Cleopatra

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert | 10 comments I recently read this for the first time and was especially impressed by the way it combines elements of the comedies, the histories and the tragedies. It's a curious, contrived story in which Antony's obsession with Cleopatra leads to his downfall, yet their relationship, so ridiculous in the early stages, evolves into a truly tragic one by the end. I've never seen a performance of it and wonder if anyone could comment on how well all of those things work together when it's staged.

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 40 comments I think it can work if there are two actors with great stage-chemistry -- believe that these are two middle-aged people who are desperately in love, clinging to fading youth (and fading empires) -- and it is an obsession that literally will change the fate of kingdoms. I saw a production about three years ago directed by Robert Benedetti and overall, the relationship was very believable, even if I spent a good deal of my time feeling bad for Octavia getting a real raw deal...