Memoirs and Biographies We Love discussion

Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rae (new)

Rae (sailor_eddy) Do you consider listening to an entire audiobook to be the same as reading a book cover to cover? Explain.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 69 comments It depends on how well you concentrate on audio books. They don't work for me but some people read all their books that way - especially people with visual impairments and/or learning disabilities.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Downey | 18 comments Audiobooks serve a different purpose for me than print and ebooks. I listen to audiobooks while walking the treadmill, so they have to be fast-paced, full of life-threatening tension, in order to offset the life-sucking boredom of the treadmill. Ludlum and Grisham are perfect. With my ebooks and print, I want to be able to read the good passages again and again, really soak them up. So those books are usually slow reads that I savor.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 69 comments We listen to e-books on the boring trips from Chicago to Cincinnati. We can't have anything too deep because we have to concentrate on the road. We've gotten into listening to the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency series. In general, I don't enjoy being read to and absorb it better when I'm reading it.

message 5: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (jashleyodell) | 3 comments For memoirs, I generally prefer audiobooks because there's something about hearing someone tell their story in their own literal voice. I find this to be especially true with comedians and humorists, like Tina Fey, Drew Magary, and Sarah Vowell.

But I do often find myself buying or borrowing the book after listening to revisit certain points. Sometimes, you really do need to see something in print -- and maybe even stare at it for a bit -- to appreciate it and its power.