2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2015 > Emily's Corner

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (last edited Apr 20, 2017 01:09PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Going to post all of challenges I'm doing. I'll start with my Goodreads Challenge--I want to read 80 books. I'll list all my books in this one post (which is copied from my Personal challenge page).

My Books So Far (87 out of 80):

January

1. Dear Mr. Knightley completed 1/5
2. Happy completed 1/6
3. Americans in Paris: Life and Death under Nazi Occupation 1940-1944 completed 1/11
4. Searching for God Knows What completed 1/14
5. A Woman Of Independent Means completed 1/15
6. Clouds of Witness completed 1/17
7. How to Bake a Man completed 1/20
8. Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho completed 1/25
9. Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Cat Did What?: 101 Amazing Stories of Magical Moments, Miracles and... Mischief completed 1/28

February

10. Dear Abigail: The Intimate Lives and Revolutionary Ideas of Abigail Adams and Her Two Remarkable Sisters completed 2/5
11. Civil War Hospital Sketches completed 2/10
12. Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library completed 2/11
13. The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East completed 2/13
14. Behind the Scenes at the Museum completed 2/18
15. Quidditch Through the Ages completed 2/19
16. 84, Charing Cross Road completed 2/26
17. A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries completed 2/27

March

18. Journals, 1952-2000 completed 3/2
19. The Perks of Being a Wallflower completed 3/3
20. The Beauty and the Sorrow completed 3/11
21. The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street completed 3/12
22. A Star for Mrs. Blake completed 3/17

April

23. Under the Wide and Starry Sky completed 4/2
24. Daily Rituals: How Artists Work completed 4/8
25. Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society completed 4/9
26. Girl in Hyacinth Blue completed 4/12
27. Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies completed 4/15
28. How Right You Are, Jeeves completed 4/16
29. White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson completed 4/20
30. Letters of Note: An Eclectic Collection of Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience completed 4/22
31. The Trip to Echo Spring completed 4/26
32. The Rosie Effect completed 4/29
33. The Humans completed 4/30

May

34. The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War completed 5/7
35. Dear Committee Members completed 5/7
36. Rosie Dunne completed 5/10
37. Americans in Paris: a Literary Anthology completed 5/20
38. Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare? completed 5/22
39. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood completed 5/27
40. The Elegance of the Hedgehog completed 5/29

June

41. Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany completed 6/1
42. The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet completed 6/3
43. How the Irish Saved Civilization completed 6/4
44. Mad About the Boy completed 6/5
45. We Are the People: Voices from the Other Side of American History completed 6/6
46. Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology completed 6/9
47. Hotel Florida: Truth, Love, and Death in the Spanish Civil War completed 6/18
48. TransAtlantic completed 6/24
49. Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale completed 6/25
50. March completed 6/26

July

51. Testament of Friendship completed 7/16
52. The Book Thief completed 7/26
53. Outliers: The Story of Success completed 7/30

August

54. Privilege and Scandal: The Remarkable Life of Harriet Spencer, Sister of Georgiana completed 8/3
55. The Book of Madness and Cures completed 8/6
56. The Complete Father Brown completed 8/7
57. Where'd You Go, Bernadette completed 8/8
58. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail completed 8/17
59. The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry completed 8/21
60. You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life completed 8/27
61. American Transcendentalism: A History completed 8/29
62. Sunshine on Scotland Street completed 8/31

September

63. The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are completed 9/3
64. Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination completed 9/3
65. The Wright Brothers completed 9/7
66. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle completed 9/12
67. The Bugles Are Silent completed 9/19
68. Bob Schieffer's America completed 9/26
69. Autumn Light: Illuminations of Age completed 9/30

October

70. The Secret History of Wonder Woman completed 10/3
71. The Soldier's Wife completed 10/13
72. Station Eleven completed 10/20
73. Sundays in America: A Yearlong Road Trip in Search of Christian Faith completed 10/26

November

74. Emma: A Modern Retelling completed 11/3
75. Slaughterhouse-Five completed 11/6
76. Life on Purpose Devotional for Women: Practical Faith and Profound Insight for Every Day completed 11/8
77. A Study in Sherlock: Stories inspired by the Holmes canon completed 11/10
78. Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters completed 11/14
79. Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals completed 11/19
80. Olive Kitteridge completed 11/23

December

81. Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View of Women completed 12/2
82. Five Red Herrings completed 12/6
83. Building a Life Out of Words completed 12/13
84. A Study in Scarlet completed 12/17
85. The Sign of Four completed 12/20
86. Shelter Cats completed 12/27
87. More Than a Carpenter completed 12/31

message 2: by Emily (last edited Nov 24, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Popsugar Challenge--complete 50 prompts for a total of 52 books.
(My post in the Popsugar thread in this group)
(My post in the Popsugar group)

My list so far:

Books read: 43/52

*1) A book with more than 500 pages -- Testament of Friendship completed 7/16 (508 pages)
2) A classic romance --
*3) A book that became a movie -- Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho completed 1/25 (source material for the 2012 film Hitchcock)
*4) A book published this year -- The Wright Brothers completed 9/7
*5) A book with a number in the title -- 84, Charing Cross Road completed 2/26
*6) A book written by someone under 30 -- Rosie Dunne completed 5/10
*7) A book with nonhuman characters -- The Humans completed 4/30
*8) A funny book -- How Right You Are, Jeeves completed 4/16
*9) A book by a female author -- How to Bake a Man completed 1/20
*10) A mystery or thriller -- Clouds of Witness completed 1/17
*11) A book with a one word title -- March completed 6/26
*12) A book of short stories -- Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Cat Did What?: 101 Amazing Stories of Magical Moments, Miracles and... Mischief completed 1/28
*13) A book set in a different country -- Americans in Paris: Life and Death under Nazi Occupation 1940-1944 completed 1/11 (France)
*14) A nonfiction book -- The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East completed 2/13
*15) A popular author's first book -- Behind the Scenes at the Museum completed 2/18
*16) A book from an author you love that you haven't read yet -- Under the Wide and Starry Sky completed 4/2
*17) A book a friend recommended -- Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library completed 2/11
*18) A Pulitzer Prize winning book -- Olive Kitteridge completed 11/23 (2009 Prize for Fiction)
*19) A book based on a true story -- The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War completed 5/7
*20) A book at the bottom of your to-read list -- A Star for Mrs. Blake completed 3/17
*21) A book your mom (or dad) loves -- How the Irish Saved Civilization completed 6/4
*22) A book that scares you -- Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany completed 6/1
*23) A book more than 100 years old -- Civil War Hospital Sketches completed 2/10
*24) A book chosen based entirely on its cover -- White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson completed 4/20
*25) A book you were supposed to read in school but didn't -- Outliers: The Story of Success completed 7/30
*26) A memoir -- Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies completed 4/15
*27) A book you can finish in a day -- The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street completed 3/12
*28) A book with antonyms in the title -- Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail completed 8/17
*29) A book set somewhere you've always wanted to visit -- TransAtlantic completed 6/24 (Ireland)
30) A book that came out the year you were born --
*31) A book with bad reviews -- Mad About the Boy completed 6/5
32) A trilogy --
33) A book from your childhood --
*34) A book with a love triangle -- The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet completed 6/3 (Lizzie/Darcy/Wickham OR Lizzie/Lydia/Wickham)
*35) A book set in the future -- Station Eleven completed 10/20
*36) A book set in high school -- The Perks of Being a Wallflower completed 3/3
*37) A book with a color in the title -- Girl in Hyacinth Blue completed 4/12
*38) A book that made you cry -- The Book Thief completed 7/26
*39) A book with magic -- Quidditch Through the Ages completed 2/19
*40) A graphic novel -- Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood completed 5/27
*41) A book by an author you've never read before -- A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries completed 2/27
*42) A book you own but haven't read yet -- Happy completed 1/6
*43) A book that takes place in your hometown (or surrounding area) -- A Woman Of Independent Means completed 1/15 (Dallas, TX)
*44) A book that was originally written in a different language -- The Beauty and the Sorrow completed 3/11 (German)
45) A book set during Christmas --
46) A book by an author with your same initials --
47) A play --
*48) A banned book -- Slaughterhouse-Five completed 11/6
*49) A book based on or turned into a TV show -- The Complete Father Brown completed 8/7
*50) A book you started but never finished -- Searching for God Knows What completed 1/14

message 3: by Emily (last edited Nov 21, 2015 08:18PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Modern Mrs. Darcy Reading Challenge:

A Book You've Been Meaning to Read: Happy completed 1/6
A Book Published This Year: The Wright Brothers completed 9/7
A Book From a Genre You Don't Normally Read: Clouds of Witness completed 1/16
A Book from your Childhood:
A Book Your Mom Loves: How the Irish Saved Civilization completed 6/4
A Book Originally Written in a Different Language: The Elegance of the Hedgehog completed 5/29
A Book Everyone Has Read But You: The Book Thief completed 7/26
A Book You Chose Because of the Cover: White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson completed 4/20
A Book by a Favorite Author: Quidditch Through the Ages completed 2/19
A Book Recommended by Someone with Great Taste: Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library completed 2/11
A Book You Should Have Read in High School: Slaughterhouse-Five completed 11/6
A Book That's Currently on the Bestseller List: Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail completed 8/17

message 4: by Emily (last edited Nov 21, 2015 08:19PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments I Spy Challenge (Message 1356) :

1. Color - Girl in Hyacinth Blue completed 4/12
2. Number - 84, Charing Cross Road completed 2/26
3. Things That Grow - The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East completed 2/13
4. Seasons - Autumn Light: Illuminations of Age completed 9/30
5. First Name - The Rosie Effect completed 4/29
6. Places - Americans in Paris: a Literary Anthology completed 5/20
7. Body Part -
8. Weapon -
9. Body of Water - The Trip to Echo Spring completed 4/26
10. Form of Water - Clouds of Witness completed 1/16
11. Product of Fire - White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson completed 4/20
12. Celestial Body - A Star for Mrs. Blake completed 3/17
13. Architecture - Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies completed 4/15
14. Senses -
15. Royal Title - The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street completed 3/12
16. Family Member - Privilege and Scandal: The Remarkable Life of Harriet Spencer, Sister of Georgiana completed 8/3
17. Elements -
18. Time of Day -
19. Metal -
20. Emotion/Feeling - Happy completed 1/6
21. Animal/Insect - Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Cat Did What?: 101 Amazing Stories of Magical Moments, Miracles and... Mischief completed 1/28
22. Something to Read - The Book of Madness and Cures completed 8/6
23. Gender Identifier - A Woman Of Independent Means completed 1/15
24. Paranormal Being -
25. Occupation - Daily Rituals: How Artists Work completed 4/8

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail today! It meets a Modern Mrs. Darcy prompt and a Popsugar prompt. I'm up to 58 out of 80 books read this year!

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry, which doesn't fit any challenge other than reading 80 books. 59 books read.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Decided to count Clouds of Witness for Form of Water in the I Spy Challenge.

I also went REALLY Type-A and selected all the books I would read the rest of the year to complete the I Spy Challenge, the Popsugar Challenge, and the Modern Mrs. Darcy challenge. It's a total of 19 books. If I read all 19 plus finish the 4 I have going right now, I'll have read 82 books for the year--2 more than my Goodreads goal. Plus there's at least one more book I'll have to read this year.

I keep telling myself it doesn't matter if I finish all the challenges--no one will care but myself. Yet I now feel like I'm committed to finishing.

Next year, I definitely need to only work through my TBR and do NO challenges so I can make a dent in that monster of a list!!

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life, which only counts towards my Goodreads Challenge. 60 books read.

I thought I was going to LOVE this book, but it was only fair. Eleanor Roosevelt is an awesome lady, but she doesn't use that awesomeness to its fullest potential here.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished American Transcendentalism: A History, a book that's been on my shelves for ages. It was only fair. 61 books!

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished Sunshine on Scotland Street. LOVE THIS SERIES. Book #62.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished 3 books since my last post (2 of them were short):

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are (Goodreads challenge only)
Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination (Goodreads challenge only)
The Wright Brothers (Goodreads challenge, Popsugar challenge, Modern Mrs. Darcy challenge)

65 books read!

message 12: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished 2 books, both only fair, and both only meeting the Goodreads Challenge.

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle completed 9/12
The Bugles Are Silent completed 9/19

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished 2 books!

Bob Schieffer's America completed 9/26
Autumn Light: Illuminations of Age completed 9/30

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished The Secret History of Wonder Woman today for the Goodreads Challenge.

message 15: by Emily (last edited Oct 03, 2015 07:40PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Another member Paul posts why he read each book he read this year. I was interested and want to do it too!

Why I read It Part 1:

Dear Mr. Knightley-- had read about it on a blog and then found it at Half Price Books for $1, so I picked it up

Happy--bought for school and never read it and I'm trying to read more of the books I own

Americans in Paris: Life and Death under Nazi Occupation 1940-1944--found at Half Price Books and liked the summary

Searching for God Knows What--borrowed it from my Mom and never got around to it and wanted to return it

A Woman Of Independent Means--my Mom lent it to me and wanted to return it

Clouds of Witness--read the first Peter Wimsey book and wanted to read the sequel

How to Bake a Man--recommended by a blog I read so got on Kindle

Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho--been wanting to read this since I saw the movie Hitchcock and my school library had it

Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Cat Did What?: 101 Amazing Stories of Magical Moments, Miracles and... Mischief--Christmas present that I wanted to get done

Dear Abigail: The Intimate Lives and Revolutionary Ideas of Abigail Adams and Her Two Remarkable Sisters--I think I read about it in EW and my public library had it

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 2:

Civil War Hospital Sketches--Borrowed from my Mom and wanted to return it

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library--my boss recommended it and of course you read what your boss recommends!

The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East--The Red Couch Discussion Group book of the month for February

Behind the Scenes at the Museum--I have no idea where I heard about this, but the school library had it and I wanted to get it read before I graduated

Quidditch Through the Ages--I was embarrassed to never have read this, so got it from the school library

84, Charing Cross Road--my school library had this book's sequel and I wanted to read it before I graduated so I got this one through Interlibrary Loan first

A Book of One's Own: People and Their Diaries--another book I wanted to check off my reading list before I graduated because it's a rare book but I got it through Interlibrary Loan at my school for free

Journals, 1952-2000--found at Half Price Books and it sounded interesting

The Perks of Being a Wallflower--was embarrassed I hadn't read this so got it from the library

The Beauty and the Sorrow--another book to get from school library before graduation

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 3:

The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street--the aforementioned sequel I wanted to read before graduation

A Star for Mrs. Blake--book that was on my to-read list longest; read for Popsugar challenge

Under the Wide and Starry Sky--another book that had been on my TBR for a while that fit a Popsugar prompt

Daily Rituals: How Artists Work--read about it on a blog and it sounded good

Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society--read about it on a blog (I think?) and it sounded good

Girl in Hyacinth Blue--read about it on a blog; fit Popsugar challenge

Upstairs at the White House: My Life with the First Ladies--read about it on a blog and immediately got it from the library because it sounded so good!

How Right You Are, Jeeves--started reading my Mom's copy when I was bored and then got it from the library to finish it

White Heat: The Friendship of Emily Dickinson and Thomas Wentworth Higginson--got at the library because it was a featured book and the cover looked good

Letters of Note: An Eclectic Collection of Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience--Christmas present I wanted to get done

message 18: by Emily (last edited Oct 03, 2015 07:15PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 4:

The Trip to Echo Spring--read about it in Entertainment Weekly and it sounded good

The Rosie Effect--read the first book and loved it so read this

The Humans--read for Popsugar challenge

The Hour of Peril: The Secret Plot to Murder Lincoln Before the Civil War--got for free and jumped into it

Dear Committee Members--was killing time at the library and got it off a shelf and read it

Rosie Dunne--Popsugar Challenge

Americans in Paris: a Literary Anthology--got from library because it looked good

Contested Will: Who Wrote Shakespeare?--heard about on tumblr and it sounded good

Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood--Popsugar Challenge

The Elegance of the Hedgehog--heard about from a blog and sounded good

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 5:

Stella: One Woman's True Tale of Evil, Betrayal and Survival in Hitler's Germany--Borrowed from my Mom and wanted to return it

The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet--saw it on the New Book Shelf at the library and jumped on it because I love LBD

How the Irish Saved Civilization--Mom recommended it so got it from library

Mad About the Boy--ran out of physical books on vacation so got this from the library on my Kindle; had read the other 2 Bridget books

We Are the People: Voices from the Other Side of American History--Christmas present I wanted to get done

Lost Cat: A True Story of Love, Desperation, and GPS Technology--read about it on a blog and library had it; wanted a quick read

Hotel Florida: Truth, Love, and Death in the Spanish Civil War--My library finally got this book so I jumped on it when I saw it on the New Books shelf; first read about it in Entertainment Weekly

TransAtlantic--been on my TBR for awhile; wanted to get it done

Chasing Francis: A Pilgrim's Tale--friend posted about it on Instagram and it sounded good

March-Popsugar Challenge

message 20: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 6:

Testament of Friendship--found at Half Price Books and loved the first book so got it

The Book Thief--was embarrassed I never read this so got it from library

Outliers: The Story of Success--bought for school and never read it, so wanted to get it done

Privilege and Scandal: The Remarkable Life of Harriet Spencer, Sister of Georgiana--trying to make a dent in unread books that I own

The Book of Madness and Cures--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

The Complete Father Brown--heard about the TV show from a blog and was intrigued so got this at the library

Where'd You Go, Bernadette--been wanting to read it for ages but was always out so when I saw it on the shelf finally, I jumped on it

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail--started reading my cousin's copy when I was bored at her house and then checked it out from library to finish it

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry--heard about it from a blog

You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life--borrowed from my Mom and wanted to get it done

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Why I Read It Part 7:

American Transcendentalism: A History--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

Sunshine on Scotland Street--love this series and the library finally got it so I jumped on it

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are--read about it on a blog

Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination--heard about it on Booktube and I love JKR

The Wright Brothers--I love David McCullough and the library actually had it so I jumped

Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

The Bugles Are Silent--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

Bob Schieffer's America--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

Autumn Light: Illuminations of Age--trying to make a dent in unread books I own

The Secret History of Wonder Woman--been wanting to read it for awhile and the library got it so I jumped on it

message 22: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished Book #71: The Soldier's Wife for Goodreads challenge.

Why I read it: trying to make a dent in unread books I own

message 23: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished #72: Station Eleven for Goodreads and Popsugar!

Read it because a friend let me borrow it and I wanted to return it.

message 24: by Emily (last edited Oct 26, 2015 04:22PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments My 73rd book was Sundays in America: A Yearlong Road Trip in Search of Christian Faith, which I found only fair. I also started another book this week and DNFed it because it was way too academic for my level of interest in the topic.

I read Sundays in America due to my goal of reducing my owned unread books, and it only meet the Goodreads challenge.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments My 74th book of 2015 was Emma: A Modern Retelling, which is not AMS's best book. I read it because I had heard about it on a blog I love and it was available on OverDrive so why not.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Completed book #75 Slaughterhouse-Five, which amazingly counts towards my Goodreads challenge, the Popsugar Challenge AND the Modern Mrs. Darcy challenge. Woot! I borrowed this from my brother and wanted to get it back to him.

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Completed book #76: Life on Purpose Devotional for Women: Practical Faith and Profound Insight for Every Day which only counts towards my Goodreads challenge.

I've been reading a devotion a day out of this book since August, so I'm glad to be done! I chose this book because it was gifted to me a long time ago, and I never read it. Once again, trying to make a dent in my owned TBR books.

message 28: by Emily (last edited Nov 10, 2015 01:50PM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #77: A Study in Sherlock: Stories inspired by the Holmes canon for the Goodreads challenge. I'm of the opinion that if you want to read Holmes stories, just reread the original. These were only OK.

I read it because I saw it at Half Price Books awhile ago and it intrigued me, but not enough to buy it. I got it from OverDrive instead.

message 29: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #78: Mere Christianity and The Screwtape Letters for the Goodreads challenge. Read it because I've meant to read Lewis for a long time and I bought this at Half Price Books in the summer and of course am working on my owned unread books.

I gushed about this book on my personal challenge page, but it's a 5-star book for me y'all!

message 30: by Emily (last edited Nov 19, 2015 07:23AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #79: Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers: Prayer for Ordinary Radicals

I actually own this book, but left it in Texas when I moved. But then I found it in my work library and took that as a sign that I should read it.

I feel like I need to reread this book at another time because there was a lot of information in it and I don't know how well I processed it.

message 31: by Emily (last edited Dec 09, 2015 08:10AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments And last* but certainly not the least, my 80th book of the year Olive Kitteridge!!!! It meets the Goodreads challenge and the Popsugar challenge! I read this because I really want to watch the miniseries, but my personal rule is to read the book first. Plus, it met two challenges and it was on OverDrive, so why not.

Yea for meeting the challenge!

* = I'm going to read more books, so not really the last.

message 32: by Emily (last edited Dec 09, 2015 08:11AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished book #81: Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View of Women

The subtitle is misleading--it has 12 chapters, but only 3 discuss women or women issues in the Bible. The rest is her personal experience.

I read this book because I'm trying to make a dent in my unread owned books.

message 33: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished book #82: Five Red Herrings. I rated it 2 stars which is rare for me. I just found it boring and I was glad when it was over.

I read it because I bought it for 56 cents on Amazon and I'm running out of books in Nashville--need to get more when I go home for Christmas.

message 34: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments Finished #83: Building a Life Out of Words. It's a memoir about becoming a full-time writer. I got it as a free ebook from Amazon a LONG time ago, and am trying to make a dent in my owned unread books.

(But then I bought five new books yesterday soooooo...my owned unread books has increased again.)

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #84: A Study in Scarlet

Read because I got all 9 Sherlock Holmes books on my Kindle for free, so why not? Plus I really need to read the canon since I love BBC Sherlock so much.

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #85: The Sign of Four

Read because it was on my Kindle and I liked the first one so why not?

message 37: by Emily (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments #86: Shelter Cats

Read because it was a Chistmas present AND it's a coffee table book with mostly pictures of cats, so of course I'm reading it!

message 38: by Emily (last edited Dec 31, 2015 09:16AM) (new)

Emily (emilyesears) | 529 comments My last book of the year was More Than a Carpenter, for a total of 87 books!!

Next year I am attempting WAY too many challenges. If you want to check it out, see it HERE.