The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

FALL CHALLENGE 2015 > General Questions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17860 comments Mod
Please post your general questions about the Fall 2015 challenge here. Specific questions about individual tasks should be posted in the Help Threads for those tasks.

Please read the topics in the Rules folder and the Frequently Asked Questions. Your answers may be there.

message 2: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) The Fall Challenge will be my first challenge. To be clear about the concept we do not have to find a book that fits all of the tasks just a good combination to accumulate the most amount of points. Is that a correct assumption? Kamara

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4083 comments Depends on your goal, Kamara. Some people accomplish the goal of completing the full challenge (that is, they read a book for all the tasks). Others try to improve the amount of points they accumulated in the previous season. Others simply read for fun.

message 4: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments Kamara wrote: "The Fall Challenge will be my first challenge. To be clear about the concept we do not have to find a book that fits all of the tasks just a good combination to accumulate the most amount of points..."

I might be totally reading this wrong but it sounds like you mean finding a single book to fill as many tasks as possible. So I just wanted to clarify, in case that's what you meant, that you can only fill one task with one book. And for the 25's and 30's, they require two books, one for each slot. A book cannot be used to fill more than one space.

That being said, if you mean it like "Do I need to fill all the tasks in order to play?" Then no! You just read whatever you like and fill it in wherever you can. Get as many points as you can, sure, but it's more important to have fun with what you read!

Welcome to the challenge, by the way! I hope you have a blast!

message 5: by Kamara (new)

Kamara Gant (marasheasview) Cait wrote: "Kamara wrote: "The Fall Challenge will be my first challenge. To be clear about the concept we do not have to find a book that fits all of the tasks just a good combination to accumulate the most a..."

Thank you Cait that answered my question exactly. I wasn't sure if we needed to find a book that had completed all the tasks or just read book that interest us that just so happen to complete a task.

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Hi. Fall is going to be my first challenge also. The point is: I'm Brazilian, I read in portuguese, english and spanish. So, for example in the cases where a task asks for a specific word (like 10.7: SEA, WHALE, ETC), and I read for this task a book in portuguese. If I put in my publication here an edition of this book in english or the exact translation of the title it'll be okay, right? Or I have to read specifically in english for these tasks? Sorry for my bad english, I hope I could make me understood :)

message 7: by Dlmrose (new)

Kelly wrote: "Hi. Fall is going to be my first challenge also. The point is: I'm Brazilian, I read in portuguese, english and spanish. So, for example in the cases where a task asks for a specific word (like 10...."

You should include the link to the edition you read and explain how your book fits.
Here is the rule
2. Books in languages other than English may be used. Please provide information on the book and/or title to your English speaking moderators so they can understand how the books fit the tasks. Any task requiring a specific title (number of letters, number of words, specific word in title, etc.) should apply to the title of the edition that you use.

Does that help?

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Marianne | 110 comments Yes, it helps. Thank you so much!!

message 9: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 531 comments I realize since Speaks the Nightbird is 816 pps I could begin reading it before the new season starts as long as I don't read more than 407 pps. However, can I start reading Speaks The Nightbird, Volume 1: Judgment of The Witch along with Speaks The Nightbird, Volume 2: Evil Unveiled even though neither book is 500 pp on its own since I have to read them both as they were published as a complete book?

Hope that makes sense ;)

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16194 comments Mod
Sandi wrote: "I realize since Speaks the Nightbird is 816 pps I could begin reading it before the new season starts as long as I don't read more than 407 pps. However, can I start reading [book:S..."

If this is basically one book with 816 pages and has to be posted as one book, sure you can read up to 407 now.

message 11: by Sandi (new)

Sandi Barnes | 531 comments Thanks!

message 12: by A (new)

A H When will the 20 and 25 point tasks be posted?

message 13: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 779 comments The 20 point tasks aren't awarded until the day the Fall challenge starts, and then the task creators need to come up with them, approve them with the mods, etc. The 25s won't finish being handed out until then as well, so same deal. Some 25s will go up early as people finish early but you won't see most of those (and all of the 20s) for probably a week, maybe more.

message 14: by A (new)

A H Cait wrote: "The 20 point tasks aren't awarded until the day the Fall challenge starts, and then the task creators need to come up with them, approve them with the mods, etc. The 25s won't finish being handed o..."

Okay thank you :)

message 15: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Task 30.7 also still needs to be posted ... we have 30.6 and 30.8 but no 30.7 for Fall

message 16: by A (new)

A H Book Concierge wrote: "Task 30.7 also still needs to be posted ... we have 30.6 and 30.8 but no 30.7 for Fall"

Ya 30.7 is still not posted.

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim | 664 comments Will Goodreads author tickets still be awarded in the Fall Challenge or were they replaced by Golden Oldie tickets?

Thank you.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Kim wrote: "Will Goodreads author tickets still be awarded in the Fall Challenge or were they replaced by Golden Oldie tickets?

Thank you."

They've been replaced. See the Moderator's Announcement message 31 explaining the changes to the rules/rewards of the challenge.

message 19: by Donna Jo (last edited Sep 01, 2015 06:31AM) (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments I would like to read The Lizard Cage which is set in Myanmar (Burma). The description says Burma, most of the reviews mention Burma, but it is not mentioned on the list on the side of the book's page. However if you move to the expanded list, it has 14 mentions--which are more than over half the ones listed on the main page. Can something be done so I can use this

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "I would like to read The Lizard Cage which is set in Myanmar (Burma). The description says Burma, most of the reviews mention Burma, but it is not mentioned on the list on the side o..."

What task are you trying to use it for? I can't think of any tasks that require Myanmar or Burma on the genre list. If it's just a question of where it's set, the GR description is normally sufficient.

message 21: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Sandy wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I would like to read The Lizard Cage which is set in Myanmar (Burma). The description says Burma, most of the reviews mention Burma, but it is not mentioned on the l..."

Sandy, I went back to the task (after I sent the original question) and found I misread the task anyway.
But I still wonder about the genres on this, as some of the popular genres are only revealed when you click to the See Top Shelves screen.

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Donna Jo wrote: "Sandy wrote: "Donna Jo wrote: "I would like to read The Lizard Cage which is set in Myanmar (Burma). The description says Burma, most of the reviews mention Burma, but it is not ment..."

If the task requires a genre found on the main page, that's it. We don't go beyond that to the genres on subsequent pages.

message 23: by Pat (new)

Pat (peakles) | 161 comments If you're still looking for a place to fit The Lizard Cage, I'm planning to read it for 15.9 - North American Totems task.

message 24: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Pat wrote: "If you're still looking for a place to fit The Lizard Cage, I'm planning to read it for 15.9 - North American Totems task."

Thanks, Pat. I have a couple places to slot it--if I decide to read it. May be too dark for me this challenge.

message 25: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4083 comments Will we be having a 30.7 task? Still not posted.

message 26: by Sandy (new)

Bea wrote: "Will we be having a 30.7 task? Still not posted."

We're aware of that.

message 27: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4083 comments Sandy wrote: "Bea wrote: "Will we be having a 30.7 task? Still not posted."

We're aware of that."

OK. Not pushing as much as asking if it will be skipped like happened in previous seasons.

message 28: by Tara Bieck (last edited Sep 05, 2015 08:09PM) (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments I'm a little confused on what to use for Page Count on this one for Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons....I'm listening to Audio so I don't have an actual page count reference.

https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

The page count seems to vary from 181 for Large Print Hardcover (first post) to 560 for Paperback (8 down). If I'm looking to use this for a task requiring page numbers, what page number would I use? Thanks for helping to clear this up.

Side note...when I look on Amazon I see 560 for Paperback.

message 29: by Bea (last edited Sep 06, 2015 12:47AM) (new)

Bea | 4083 comments Tara Jo, the rule is to use the Mass Market Paperback first. This book has one copy at 560 pages. You would go with that.

PS: To find the MMP, chose the drop down box for format at the top of the page.

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Tara Jo wrote: "I'm a little confused on what to use for Page Count on this one for Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons....I'm listening to Audio so I don't have an ..."

Please read the Rules of the Challenge. This is all covered there.

message 31: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments But I think the problem with that book is again that the entry is a mess.

There is a mixing of the Novella Rita Hayworth and the shawshank Redemption and the whole book Different Seasons, of with Shawshank Redemption is only one part. The books with 500 pages and more are sure the whole book Different Seasons as only the novella is never 500 pages long.

message 32: by Sandy (new)

Fandury wrote: "But I think the problem with that book is again that the entry is a mess.

There is a mixing of the Novella Rita Hayworth and the shawshank Redemption and the whole book Different Seasons, of with ..."

You're right - this one is a mess, and the novella is certainly not 500+ pages! We'll look at that and get back on it.

message 33: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Thanks...I was thinking it must have been a mixing of various books under the one entry! Listening to the audio, and it not being more than 4 hours, I didn't figure it was 500+ pages, but had forgotten this was a single piece of work out of Different Seasons. Thanks for helping to clarify my confusion, Fandury!

message 34: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3764 comments Tara Jo wrote: "I'm a little confused on what to use for Page Count on this one for Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons....I'm listening to Audio so I don't have an ..."

I asked about this novella several seasons ago ... could NOT use the novella alone, as it does not meet the page requirements. But the complete collection Different Seasons was able to be used.

Hope that helps.

message 35: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck | 433 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Tara Jo wrote: "I'm a little confused on what to use for Page Count on this one for Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption: A Story from Different Seasons....I'm listening to Audio so ..."

Thanks...maybe I'll check into that option. Thanks!

message 36: by JennRenee (new)

JennRenee (jennreneeread) | 1332 comments Is there anyway that we can verify a book is not comic or graphic novel when the main page genre has comic listed. I have foubd two novels...full lenghth novels no comic or graphic novel content have comic as a main page genre because the story is about superheroes. Its very frustrating not to be able to use these or limited when usuning them because someone decided to mark them as comics when they are not by any means comics.

message 37: by Sandy (new)

JennRenee wrote: "Is there anyway that we can verify a book is not comic or graphic novel when the main page genre has comic listed. I have foubd two novels...full lenghth novels no comic or graphic novel content ha..."

Sorry, no. However, there are always at least 30 tasks, often more, for which a book marked comics can be used,

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Coralie wrote: "What about The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume One: Where on Earth and The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories, Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands?
."

These are two separate volumes in a series, so they're fine. The Storm of Swords issue is because it's one book, that was simply broken into two pieces for publishing purposes.

message 40: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2131 comments Thank you. I wanted to use one of them for a cover task and wasn't sure it would work.

message 41: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments I have a question, for some reasons none of the newer books I have read are in my Read shelf even though I have marked them as read. Can anyone help?

message 42: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4083 comments What book(s) are you talking about? The Girl on the Train is there as completed 9/13.

message 43: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments "The Girl On the Train", "Killer", and Heartless" from the Pretty Little Liar series. From my end, it doesn't look like they have registered on the list.

message 44: by Morgan (new)

Morgan (faeriesfolly) | 971 comments They show up for me too: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

On your 'read' shelf. They weren't showing when I first clicked on it, but I sorted by 'date read' and those three were on top.

message 45: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Okay I will try that

message 46: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments Okay, it is working now. That was so weird though.

message 47: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7690 comments might have just gotten caught up in cache'ing

message 48: by Jayme (new)

Jayme (jaymetheghostreader) | 3000 comments thank you for your help

message 49: by LouLouReads (last edited Oct 07, 2015 03:21AM) (new)

LouLouReads | 237 comments Am I right in thinking that, if I read two poetry books that both meet the requirement for a task (e.g. published before a certain date), I can add them together to get >100 pages? I'm thinking of The Fall of Icarus and Goblin Market.

message 50: by Dlmrose (new)

LouLouReads wrote: "Am I right in thinking that, if I read two poetry books that both meet the requirement for a task (e.g. published before a certain date), I can add them together to get >100 pages? I'm thinking of ..."

yes, plays or books of poetry may be combined to reach the 100 page minimum.

« previous 1