Jesus Freaks for Writers discussion

Games > Writer's Truth or Dare

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

Lena (lenakarynn) | 1526 comments Mod
Game suggested by Merenwen:

Writer's truth or dare.

Someone requests a truth or dare. Next person gives the requested; truth/dare, and requests one of their own (if they are so inclined).

Example of truth:
What's your character's most embarrassing moment?

Example of dare (fantasy):
Write a scene in which a dragon decides that your character would taste good with ketchup.

message 2: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 39 comments Sweet! ^.^

I'll take a dare, and I'll go ahead and supply one for whoever. :)

Dare:
Write a scene in which these words are prominent (acted out).
[Just a note: these are lyrics from "We Fall Apart," by Bebo Norman.]
"This is still a good life,
Standing in the sunlight,
Scattering the long line of fear and shame.
Underneath the surface,
There's a heart and a purpose.
I swear that it's worth it;
It's not in vain."

message 3: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments Merenwen wrote: "Sweet! ^.^

I'll take a dare, and I'll go ahead and supply one for whoever. :)

Dare:
Write a scene in which these words are prominent (acted out).
[Just a note: these are lyrics from "We Fall Apar..."

Hmm...write a poem based off of your latest work. Challenge: it can't use any specific part of the plot.

I'll take "truth". :)

message 4: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 39 comments @Kenzie:

How am I supposed to do that??? o_O *attempts* *takes several before the plot is not a part of it* Thanks for the challenging dare. :)

Truth, let's see...
In your current work, how many times have you "re-written" your main character (if at all)?

message 5: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments I believe in you ;)

Oh goodness...I have two main characters, and I've redone bits and pieces numerous times...most of their character was made up in my mind, though, so I just had to make a note to myself that Clara wasn't so strongwilled, etc. Now the one that got me was when I decided to change the other character, Lucas, into where he wasn't who everyone else thought he was. Like, people held him to be a certain way (people including myself), but pages and pages and pages in, I decided to flip his whole being into completely decidedly different. That required going back and editing everything I'd written to that point, though, to add in subtle hints.
Goodness, this post is quiet :)

message 6: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

I'll take a truth

message 7: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments Lena wrote: "I'll take a truth"

Hm. How similar are you to the characters you write? And do you write their specific character to compliment or contrast a part of your own character, or are they made randomly?

message 8: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (last edited Aug 29, 2015 05:14PM) (new)

That's a hard one. I've never really thought about it, but I'd say they're all pretty different from me. A few of them have aspects that are similar to me, but mostly they're all made up randomly, or based on someone else.
Good question; thanks!

message 9: by Lavay (new)

Lavay Byrd | 73 comments This looks like fun. I'll do a truth challenge.

message 10: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

Lavay wrote: "This looks like fun. I'll do a truth challenge."

Does your villain have any redeeming values, or is he/she completely evil?

message 11: by Lavay (new)

Lavay Byrd | 73 comments Lena wrote: "Does your villain have any redeeming values, or is he/she completely evil?"

Hmm... depends on what villain in my books. For example, in the "Light Horse Dark Horse" series, the Dark Horse is completely evil. On the other hand, some "secondary" villains eventually become redeemed.

SPOILER ALERT: In Book 3 The Soter Herd, two villains will experience some redemption. Actually, one of them's not exactly a "villain", but allowed himself to be influenced and manipulated by evil.

message 12: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

I'll take another truth

message 13: by Lavay (new)

Lavay Byrd | 73 comments After publishing a written work, have you ever wanted to change/revise it?

message 14: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

Never published anything, but I'm sure that will happen!

message 15: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments I'll take a dare :)

message 16: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (last edited Sep 01, 2015 11:58AM) (new)

Kenzie wrote: "I'll take a dare :)"

Re-write a scene with all the genders swapped

I'll take another truth

message 17: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments Just for clarification, do you mean swapping the dialect, for instance, for something a character would say if they were the opposite gender?

message 18: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

Basically, just changing the genders of your characters, and adjusting the rest to make it fit

message 19: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments I apologize in advance for the super-long post lol it's a whole scene. Actually, I'm just going to include a DropBox link and make it more accessible to you all. There's just a lot of dialect, but the original speech is super girly. I've included the original and the updated :) It's super stereotypically "girl"/"guy", but hey... :)

message 21: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments And for your "truth"....
Dum dum dum dummmm. Do you often write for the enjoyment of others or for your own enjoyment?

message 22: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

Kenzie wrote: "Here it is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7bb8fnacen..."

Nice job on the dare! :)

Kenzie wrote: "And for your "truth"....
Dum dum dum dummmm. Do you often write for the enjoyment of others or for your own enjoyment?"

Ummm, probably for my own enjoyment. I like writing, and I write what I like to read

message 23: by McKenzie Rae (new)

McKenzie Rae (danceronfire) | 125 comments Lena wrote: "Ummm, probably for my own enjoyment. I like writing, and I write what I like to read

Sweet :)

message 24: by Lena, Shot through the heart, and you're to blame (new)

:D