The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo discussion

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Mendell I bought this book at a thrift store a few months back. I unearthed it recently and attempted to read it, but the beginning, though interesting, felt slow and hard to get sucked into. Is the story worth pushing through the slow beginning? Is it a good read? I have not heard a thing about this book or the movie, (I do not often enjoy watching movies made from books). Please don't spoil anything in your answers, but I would like to hear thoughts. What is this book like? Should I read it?

Barbara Where do you LIVE? You must have been living on another planet to not either hear about this book, the movie, the hype (worth it). I remember seeing every other person carrying it when I commuted. ANYWAY, yes, stick with it. Starts a bit slow but then you are taken in and it hooks you big time. Second book, aaaah, not so fascinating, but necessary to get to the third book which is better again. Try it...

David Freas I feel the complete opposite of Barbara.

I slogged through all three books and couldn't for the life of me see why everyone else thought they were so fantastic.

Will Once Opinions are divided on this one. Some people thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and that you just need to get through the boring first bit.

Other people felt that it was over-hyped, not particularly well written and more than a little bit grubby.

The only way to find out is to read it.

message 5: by Alizée (last edited Aug 28, 2015 03:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alizée Yes, the start of the book is slow but it gets so much better afterwards.
It gets fast-paced, suspensful and somehow dark by the 100th page.

I don't usually read these thriller-suspense books so I don't have much to compare it with but I found it was a great first installment!

message 6: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron I'm on the "loved it" people side, but I know others couldn't get into the series.
The author is Swedish, so the picture of things is a bit of an adjustment. Once the plot gets moving, I thought it was great. The Lisbeth Salander character was just so different from anything else written.
Alizee is probably right about 100 pages.

message 7: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Mendell Well then, I guess my only real option is to read it for myself. The book doesn't seem to have a gray area; either you love it or you do not love it. This is interesting to me. I will read it, (I had NO idea it was a trilogy. I guess I live under a rock).

What are the other two books called?

sublimosa The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest and The Girl Who Played With Fire. I thought they were all a worthwhile read. There are parts in all three that are tiresome, over-the-top and gruesome. They are definitely interesting and thought provoking. Once you get through the first 100 pages-oh, I felt like I was reading the begat part of the Bible-so and so begat so and so and so and so begat so and so...! I'm glad I didn't give up on it, although I confess I might have dozed off during the geneology section a bit!
BTW, if you like the first and continue on to the next two, the author left outlines for further books before he died and there is a fourth due out this year, I think, using the outline but written by another author called The Girl in the Spider Web (or similar).

message 9: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Mendell That's so cool. To take the outline of a writer who has passed on and creating the story they did not is one of the greatest ways to remember them. At least I think it is. Like when I read "The Dark Tower & Other Stories" by C.S. Lewis. To me it was an amazing way at remembering the writer with respect and admiration.
I'm really going to have to read this series now, if only to come to the forth book and see how it flies.

message 10: by Nuran (last edited Aug 17, 2015 01:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nuran Yes, it is slow at the beginning, it's basically a large info dump of the male character and his background at the beginning before the actual thriller/mystery parts get going.

message 11: by Ron (last edited Aug 17, 2015 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron I had seen the Amazon ads for The Girl in the Spider’s Web (Millennium, #4) by David Lagercrantz and was surprised. Didn't know that Larsson had left outlines for future work! It's got to be daunting for an author to continue another author's work, especially one so popular.

message 12: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Mendell Nuran: Info dumps are always hard to get through. I shall try my hardest to push through!!!

Ron: it will be interesting to read a popular author's work written by a different writer. Do you know who it is that will write The Girl in the Spider's Web?

Sparkle I grew up reading mysteries and this was just awful. Mind numbing details that go nowhere. Technical writing without heart. I didn't care about any of the characters. And don't get me started on the violence against women. The original title was, 'Men Who Hate Women'. Need I say more?

message 14: by Ron (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ron Hey E.L.,
The writer's name is David Lagercrantz. The book is complete and comes out next month. I haven't looked into what else he has written before this.
I agree somewhat with Sparkle's statement about violence against women, although I wouldn't say the series condones it. Many books are so much worse about that.

Raisa Love first book, agree - second is slower, but anyway - it is very good reading!

message 16: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Mendell Thanks, Ron.
I'd better hurry up and get to reading this series! Starting it will be a weekend project.

Sparkle Ron wrote: "Hey E.L.,
The writer's name is David Lagercrantz. The book is complete and comes out next month. I haven't looked into what else he has written before this.
I agree somewhat with Sparkle's statem..."

I agree, the book does not condone violence. From my perspective, the story was disjointed and the sex crimes seemed gratuitous. Not something I want to read. I bought the book on the recommendation of a colleague, without seeking any other opinion. After I read it, and hated it, I went in search of reviews. I found a NY Times review that echoed my sentiment on a number of different levels. That's also when I learned the original title was, "Men Who Hate Women". Suddenly, the book made more sense. Still hated it, but it made more sense. Again, not something I want to read.

Melissa Kelly I wasn't aware of a fourth book, however, I'll be giving it a read as soon as it comes out. I loved the trilogy, I just hope the new author won't ruin Larsson's great work with the original three books.
Although the book does contain a great deal of violence I don't think this took away value from the book, there was never any unnecessary violence in my opinion. I do agree with a few of the previous posters who have said the book is hard to get into, especially the political side of things and especially if you're not used to Swedish names/places, but it's definitely worth persevering with. I was recommended this book from a friend and couldn't thank her enough for the great recommendation.

Betsy Hetzel I am in the "I Loved It" camp; really, loved the trilogy! I do agree that the first 100-150 pages are slow but the author had much to set up first so that the rest of the book (s) would make sense to the reader.
It was the character of Lisbeth Salander who MADE the series what it was for me; I found her, her backstory and how/why she continued to do what she did completely mesmerizing. I would have to say that Salander is one of my favorite female contemporary literary characters; I know of no other quite like her!
I am eagerly looking forward to September 20, the release date for Lagercrantz's 4th in this series! Wouldn't it be wonderful IF we enjoyed him as much as Larsson?!

Elisa Santos Loving team here!

The first 100/150 pages are slow - that is the hard truth - but you will needed for background and it´s from those pages that the storyline will take from. After those boring pages it´s fast, furious and with some very memorable characters - i still think about Lisbeth, Michael,Erika.

In truth, Larsson was planning a 10 book saga, so he made outlines for the next books and died before completing the 4th one, so David Lagercrantz has some big shoes to fill in - i will defo check his version!

Jlsimon Like the others here E.L. I loved this series. It is absolutely compelling. Lisbeth becomes the person you want to see grow and thrive. You can't wait for her to rise above the life she was born to and out shine all those who would stop her. She doesn't disappoint.

I hope you enjoy the series.

message 22: by Bill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bill Khaemba Probably one of the best book series i have ever set my eyes on.... Yes it kept me on my toes or rather kept my feelings on edge. And oh My God Lisabeth Salander has to be one of the most bad ass individuals in the literature world. Really love it

message 23: by Alizée (last edited Aug 28, 2015 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alizée Betsy wrote: "I am in the "I Loved It" camp; really, loved the trilogy! I do agree that the first 100-150 pages are slow but the author had much to set up first so that the rest of the book (s) would ma..."

Lisbeth is the best. Great female character in recent litterature. I've just finished the second book and loved learning about her backstory.

Janice Sitts @ 22 and 23...

I'm in the LOVED IT Camp - loved Lisabeth and Mikael and have out my library copy on hold so that I can read the next release - it'll be interesting to see the different writing styles, but I have to agree with a previous comment - so many 'notes' would have been pre-written on any subsequent books with much pillow talk, it's bound to be carried forward in this release. I know I'll enjoy it as well, although I do expect it will be a little different.

Corky Cobon I read the series about 3 years ago. I agree that it started off kinda slow but once your really got into the story with Lisbeth, it was hard to stop as she is such a dynamo and the real driving force in the series. My one complaint is that there are some things that are kinda hard to grasp culturally. I think this is more of a loss in translation thing from Swedish to English. Please keep reading. I promise that you won't be disappointed.

Jamnjazzz Will wrote: "Opinions are divided on this one. Some people thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and that you just need to get through the boring first bit.

Other people felt that it was over-hyped,..."

I'm not that big a fan of sliced bread...but I did love TGWTDT Trilogy. I certainly thought the 1st book maintained a slower pace, but the next 2 were full of action and suspense.

message 27: by Will (new) - rated it 2 stars

Will Once It's fascinating that some people really liked the trilogy and others didn't. I was decidedly unimpressed, but others rave about it.

Then again, wouldn't the world be boring if we all liked the same thing? Having said that, I am going to put some sliced bread into the toaster. Mmmm, yummy!

Layla I really loved this series, i have to admit there was a lot of rape and violence. however, lisbeth was one of my favourite characters EVER! She was very easy to relate to and i loved her attitude towards life
100% this book is worth reading!

message 29: by Duane (new) - rated it 1 star

Duane I slogged through all three books and couldn't for the life of me see why everyone else thought they were so fantastic.

<<< GRooooAAannn... >>>

After reading ONE of them, WHY on earth would you keep ON torturing yourself??

I mean, after Blomqvist's 482nd sandwich, did you REALLY think he was gonna... oh, never mind

message 30: by Will (new) - rated it 2 stars

Will Once Duane - you and I didn't like this book. Plenty of others do. That's life I suppose.

So when someone asks "Will I like this book?" I think the only honest answer is that "it depends". Mostly it depends on whether the reader gets hooked on the story and characters (mostly Lisbeth) or gets bored with Blomqvist and the occasionally dodgy writing and plotting.

There are some books I can recommend wholeheartedly. Most people should like them.

There are some books that I can recommend that you shouldn't read.

And there are some that divide opinion. You might like them, you might not.

This is one of those. It's marmite.

Elisa Santos Will wrote: "Duane - you and I didn't like this book. Plenty of others do. That's life I suppose.

So when someone asks "Will I like this book?" I think the only honest answer is that "it depends". Mostly it de..."

I wholeheartdly agree with you in every point taken.

There are those books that i reccomend in a heart-beat - and even those i get disagreement in: people are not all the same and will like different things, even with the most agreed-upon books.