Real Christian discussion

Bible and Theology > Favorite Bible Character

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Hi everyone. I would love to hear your favorite Bible Character. Mine of course would be Jesus then Mary (the mother of Jesus) because she was beloved of the Lord and a great example for any girl. Then my next favorite would be David because he was a man after Gods own heart and was a mighty and brave leader! (: Would love to hear yours?

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Aside from Jesus of course, I have a couple of favorites. Job, Paul, David, and Daniel are my top couple.

message 3: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aww those are excellent!!!!!! :D

message 4: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments Other than God Himself... ;) I really like Paul & Esther.

message 5: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aww me too! Awesome(:

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Aug 21, 2015 04:55PM) (new)

Ruth  (ruthelizabethg) | 191 comments My favorite would be Ruth (not just because of the name lol) I've always thought of her as my role model. And with her relationship with Baoz she trusted God to do what He wanted and waited for His timing. I really look up to that. I wish I could be more like her.

message 7: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments God the Father, Son, Holy Ghost: Elijah, Elisha, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Mephibosheth, Jonathan, David, Micah, Methuselah ( lived the longest being nine hundred and sixty-nine years ), Miriam, Mary, Martha, Lazarus, Samuel, Timotheus, Paul, John, Peter, James, Jude, Ruth, Naomi, Esther, Job, too many to name. . . :)

Sabbath Shalom to thee!

~Timothy

message 8: by Halee (new)

Halee (im4israel) I know it's really cliché but...Esther!!!

message 9: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Awww love those guys!!!! Brilliant(;
@Ruth- Aww love Ruth!! Great great role model to have!!!!(;
@Timothy- Very excellent ones!!!(:
@Halee- Awesome- not cliche at all!! Love Esther!! I've always said I hope that maybe I can have a daughter way later in life and name her Esther Faith after the one in the Bible(: (:

message 10: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego

message 11: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Yeah!!!!!!! Go Lee!! They are quite awesome(:

message 12: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Thou art a priest forever after the order of Melchisedec. Heb. 5:6; Psalm 110:4

Melchisedec.

Shalom,
~Timothy

message 13: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh that's super cool Timothy!!!!(:

message 14: by Alkmini (new)

Alkmini I really like Esther and Lydia and Damaris :)
I also like Daniel!

message 15: by Halee (new)

Halee (im4israel) Yes! I agree!

message 16: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aww yes!! Those are great(:

message 17: by Tina (last edited Sep 02, 2015 06:07PM) (new)

Tina Ruth Elizabeth, everything you said about Ruth and Baoz was so true! What a wonderful story about REALLY trusting God with your future!

message 18: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

YES! So true(:
Those are awesome :D

message 19: by Alkmini (new)

Alkmini I am reading Esther again with my boyfriend..
WOW!
http://bible.com/173/est.4.14.TGV Αν δεν μιλήσεις τώρα, θα έρθει από αλλού βοήθεια και σωτηρία για τους Ιουδαίους. Εσύ όμως και η οικογένειά σου θα εξαφανιστείτε. Και ποιος ξέρει αν δεν έγινες βασίλισσα για τούτη ακριβώς τη στιγμή;»

This verse sais that even if Esther wont help, God will find another way to help them. But what if He put her in this place for this exact moment?
Oh I found it in english so you can understand what I am talking about.

http://bible.com/1/est.4.14.kjv For if thou altogether holdest thy peace at this time, then shall there enlargement and deliverance arise to the Jews from another place; but thou and thy father's house shall be destroyed: and who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom for such a time as this?

I LOVE this verse!!!!

message 20: by Alkmini (new)

Alkmini And I didnt post this at the verses topic because I just wanted to say to you why Esther is one of my favorite Bible characters (:

message 21: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aww, that's terrific!!!!! So awesome girl!!! Thanks so much for sharing! Esther is also one of my favorite Bible characters(: (: Awesome! :D

message 22: by HailSaira (new)

HailSaira | 95 comments I'm quite fond of Paul and James, myself.

message 23: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh those are great :D

message 24: by HailSaira (new)

HailSaira | 95 comments And Peter. ...Even if he did stick his foot in his mouth a couple of times. :)

message 25: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha. Yeah. However he may of made a few slip ups but don't we all(: He was human just the same but its amazing to see how he died for his faith- on an upside down cross! Amazing :D (;

message 26: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments Apologies for being late in picking up on this thread but wanted to just revert back to those previous postings about Esther.

I have heard it explained that this Book starts off with a number of sub-plots taking place which, to Esther in particular, did not make sense. Her life was rather like having the pieces of a jig-saw puzzle strewn all over the floor....but without a picture of how they fitted together!! But God was behind the scenes working in all that was going on so that good things emerged for Esther and the Jewish people at the end.

This is rather like our lives when often (if not most of the time!!) we don't understand what is happening - rather like those jig-saw pieces. But God is working things out as we trust Him even though, like Esther having to go into the presence of the Emperor-King, things can be a bit scary at times!!!

message 27: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments So very true, Stephen!! And that is exactly why Esther is one of my favorite books and people of the Bible! :)

message 28: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh thats awesome Stephen!! Brilliant!! God always has a plan even when we feel lost! :D

message 29: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments ....and Esther's life is lived out in the context of God being out of view.

The Book of Esther doesn't mention God's name at any stage. Yet the evidence of His fingerprint is seen throughout (such as the verse, "That night the king could not sleep so he ordered the book of the chronicles, the record of his reign, to be brought to him" (6v1).

So that's another good reason for us to find encouragement in the life of Esther...and like her we don't necessarily see what God is doing. But He's behind the scenes...keeping people awake if necessary (whilst we can sleep safe in the knowledge of His care)!!!!

message 30: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha! That's awesome Stephen! No kidding- that was brilliant insight!!! Haha!! Amen!!

message 31: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Bishop | 24 comments Without wanting to monopolise this discussion on favourite Biblical characters (!!) can I also mention a group of girls who have probably not appeared on our 'radar' .... that is, the "daughters of Zelophehad" (see Numbers 27 for their individual names).

They should be included on our 'favourite' list on account of their sheer courage and amazing perception in the face of being just ordinary girls in a basically male-orientated culture. They had approached Moses with a request that the property / territory that was to have belonged to their father and passed to any surviving son be passed on to them (their dad having died and left no male heir). This was decidedly against accepted practice of their time ... and resulted in Moses being somewhat confused!!

Rather than vetoing the idea straight away, Moses went to ask God about it (a good move). God's verdict was that this request of these daughters was right, setting a precedent allowing an inheritance to be passed on to daughters if there was no son.

There is an encouragement for us from these girls in both praying and seeking things which other people (perhaps even those close to us) may not think appropriate. These daughters had first of all perceived the heart of God in this matter, as we also need to do as we pray. But they then took action even though 'going out on a limb' (taking a risk) and having no backing/support from anyone else .... which is similar to Esther as previously mentioned. Hope this helps!!

message 32: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh!! I've never heard of that story before Stephen! But now I must go read!! That is so so amazing!!! Awesome! Strange I've never heard it before! So true :D

message 33: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments I've also for a long time really liked Deborah & Jael. :)

message 34: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oh that's my sister in law's favorite Bible Characters!! I'm telling you how similar you two are!!! :D

message 35: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 3571 comments Lol! That's so funny! :D And kinda strange too... Haha! ;)

message 36: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Hahahaha!! I'm telling you *shudders* :D Haha

message 37: by Tina (new)

Tina John- 14:1 Let your heart not be troubled : ye believe in God, believe also in me.

message 38: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Beautiful!!!! :D :D

message 39: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I know this really random but one Bible character I admire is Nathan the prophet. He had to confront King David about his sin with Bathsheba, not a pleasant task to do but he didn't shrink from his duty or say, "Hey, I really don't want to do this; send someone else."

Later some of David's close men abandoned him to support Adonijah as king behind David's back and practically at David last few days of this life. Nathan again stepped up and made sure that David knew about what was going on and that Solomon would become king.

Nathan was diffidently someone who wasn't afraid to do difficult things for God.

message 40: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments And that's a good thing 'cause many christians now-a-days are more like Jonah.

message 41: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Lee-lette wrote: "And that's a good thing 'cause many christians now-a-days are more like Jonah."

I would totally agree with you. We need to understand that serving God has costs sometimes. And we aren't always going to want to do the right thing. We have to put aside our personal dislikes to serve Him.

message 42: by Lee (new)

Lee (lee-lette) | 871 comments I couldn't have said that any better.

message 43: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

@Karis- That was amazingly put!!!!! Amen!! So true!! I mean being a Christian doesn't mean you don't have any more problems- it means you will always have someone to go through them with you ((;

message 44: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments Mary Kate wrote: "@Karis- That was amazingly put!!!!! Amen!! So true!! I mean being a Christian doesn't mean you don't have any more problems- it means you will always have someone to go through them with you ((;"

Amen. I once saw a Christan tee-shirt that said, "I am always walking with you. The times when you only see one set of footprints was when I was carrying you." I think that is a good reminder of God's love for us.

On a side note though, It is so sad that we only seem to looking around to talk to God when we have problems. How often do we just take time to chat with Him. This something I think we are all so guilty of at times myself included.

message 45: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

@Karis- ((: Awww that's just great!!!! I would so wear that shirt xD

Ohhh yes!!!! One challenge we all face. Very sad how we do that )); I'm so glad he is forgiving and let's us try every day ((((;

message 46: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I am not sure where to post this but today I had an amazing Bible lesson on the characteristics of King David and I thought I would go ahead and share a bit with ya'll.

David is looked up to by many as a hero of the faith, but what made him a hero? A hero isn't a moment’s action; it is a character trait which is a habit that you build. Some character traits that David had were:
(a) Willingness to admit when he was wrong
(b) Desire to be in God’s will (true willingness is signing a blank contract and saying, “God fill in the rest and I will do it”)
(c) Respect for the position of authority (David had every opportunity to kill Saul who was trying to take his life but David wouldn’t lay a hand on the Lord’s appointed)
(d) A forgiving spirit
(e) Confidence in God even in tough circumstances
(f) Loyalty to his friends (David made a covenant with his friend Jonathon to remember him and to show kindness to his family when David would be King. Years later when Jonathon was died, David asked if any of Jonathon’s family was left and brought Mephibosheth, Jonathon’s crippled son, to live with him. David was a loyal friend.)

Everyone has certain godly qualities we wish we could develop. We need to remember that the presence of the Holy Spirit should be the foundation for all traits we develop. David received the Holy Spirit as a kid watching sheep and we can see David’s character traits as a result/

Just something to think about:)

message 47: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Awww that was just TERRIFIC!!!!!!! So insightful!! Thank you!!!! ((((:
Why David is one of my three favorite Bible characters :D

message 48: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments One of mine too. I've been studying his life in depth the past few weeks:)

message 49: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aww that's terrific!!!!! For school or just because you felt led to? That's great :D xD

message 50: by Timothy (new)

Timothy | 443 comments Ruth sheweth a character that is quite remarkable. She was faithful to her mother-in-law Naomi in spite all. She was not the typical Moabite lady, but very upright and godly. May more men and women possess that character, mark'd by the fruit of the Spirit!

Blessing to all of thee!

« previous 1