Real Christian discussion

Discussions > Your Opinion On...

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

M.K. Aneal (mkaneal) | 6160 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Here you may shoot out something to the members to hear their opinions on such and such. Feel free(:

message 2: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I would like to hear all your opinions on woman pastors or elders. I don't want this turning into a debate, I would just like everyone's honest opinion and why they are convicted of it.

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Well, looks like this was covered in our buddy reads. Thanks guys! ;)

message 4: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Haha sorry Tamera I didn't see this earlier. Lol(:

message 5: by Tina (new)

Tina New Christians and learning

message 6: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) It's okay Mary Kate!

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina Why do Catholics have such beautiful stained glass windows, statues, standing up and down ,confession.
And a time when teenage girls where white and celebrate
a time of Christ, It is all so beautiful. But yet all so ritual.

message 8: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Hmmmm. Well there major issue is this 2 Timothy 3:5-7King James Version (KJV)

5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

Now I don't believe all of them are like this so before I get any hate mail I want to just clarify that the ones I know are like this. They want to get to heaven like we all do but they also want to hold on to the world with both hands. For Jesus commands us to Love Him and not the world. If we love the world we are not of him. And it's only by the blood of Jesus that we can be saved. So to summarize they think that by good works and beautiful things they can please God and still do what they want here on the earth. But salvation is only by grace through faith in the precious blood of Jesus Christ. Yes we also need to follow the commands if we love God but works alone without Jesus will get us no where. I hope that made sense(: (:

message 9: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Oohhh hmmm... I've actually never heard if that sign before but sounds right on ((; A Real Man understands that life does not go on forever and must eventually come to the conclusion that there is a Creator and thats what leads to his searching and finding of Jesus. When we look around we can already know this didn't all happen by accident and if we are smart we know there is a purpose to life and we journey to know what that is. Not only for us but also because we know life is so risky yet we've been given a chance to figure life out. So I like that quote ((;

message 10: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aw good!! I'm glad I helped ((;

message 11: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Well, in my opinion, it doesn't really matter what the situation is, if it's a sin and you become a christian then you need to stop, no matter what! If keeping up a relationship with the individual (maybe not the kids) is tempting you to evil, then you need to separate yourself from them, even if they're a christian. The Bible says to flee all evil or the appearance of evil, so even if you're not being tempted, you should probably still leave. I don't think keeping up a parental relationship with the kid would be wrong, but you would have to make sure they understood what you did wrong and how you fixed it. I hope this makes sense, I'm kind of rambling. Of course every situation has a different solution, but in the end it all comes down to what is sin and what is not.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

This isn't serious or Christianity-related, but what's your opinion on a book club that runs by themes? For example, instead of reading one book, we're reading any horror books this month. :)

And what do you think of Operation Christmas Child?

message 13: by Karis (new)

Karis | 739 comments I love Operation Christmas Child! This year I packed two 10-14 yr. old girl boxes and I wrote them both letters. It would be so cool to hear back from them. And even if they didn't, I think a personal letter would be rather special for the kid. My youth group also has done it a couple of times and we've always had a great time.

Here's their website if any of you want to check it out.
http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-w...

message 14: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Awwww, that's terrific <<33

message 15: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments Hey everyone without causing any debates I would like to know your thoughts on feminism? Do you think Christian women can be feminists? What are the strengths and weaknesses of feminism, etc.

message 16: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Hmmm... Now I don't have time now to leave a long message... But, I will think on it.... but, I would need some clarification on what sort of feminist? The extreme or the moderate belief of feminism? Haha, very hard stuff here xP

message 17: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I agree with MK, I'd need a definition of what you mean by feminist. I initially think of equal rights and such which I agree with in some ways, but there's a level sexism if you go too far with it.

message 18: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Definitely!!

message 19: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments Here's the specific definition of feminism I'm talking about: Do you think that women should fight for equal rights to be equal to men? For example, women playing sports that are intended for men, women working in careers that were dominated by men before, or even the switching of traditional gender roles, (a man staying home with the family while the wife goes out to work) I say if some men can be dancers, and before, people started to view male dancers as gay because dancing is a feminine activity, then women can most certainly play heavily athletic sports.

message 20: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Okay, thanks for specifying! Personally, I think most of what you said is okay. Although I wouldn't suggest switching gender roles as being a good thing, it's not what God intended. I think every gender role is equal to the other even if they're different and that we should be content with that. Of course, different situations call for different decisions. For example, if you're in need of money the wife may be forced to work and put her kids in school. I wouldn't even argue against a woman working just because she wants to, as long as she's not neglecting her kids or husband. The only things I would argue against are the things that are clearly stated as wrong in the Bible, or maybe even if I'm convicted that it's not right. For example, I would say having a woman be a pastor or elder is not what God intended and that's it's not their calling, so we shouldn't do that. On the other hand, I have no problem with women teachers as long as they're not claiming to be better than men. We all have our gifts and our callings, Men's gift is to lead, and women to nurture. Their can be exceptions of course, and I think a lot of these kind of situations come down to personal conviction. I have no problem with athletic women or men who are dancers. I hope this made sense and didn't sound to much like random rambling.

message 21: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments It didn't sound like random rambling at all, I understand completely that God made women to nurture and men to be leaders of their families.

message 22: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

I agree with Tamara (:

Like one thing I like to say, you are who you serve. If you are chasing after being something, whether its an athlete, politician or even a feminist or civil rights leader- you better make sure that's what God want you to find as well! I've met people who called themselves feminists, some are some of the nicest Christian people I've met, but others go a bit odd and give all the time to talking about equal rights.
Honestly, I want to strive to be known as a Christian. That's it.
I agree with equal rights, yes, but that is not what I strive for. I strive for my Saviour's approval, not man's.
Some people want to give their all for a cause or namesake but if they gave that time to God, we could change the world (;

Something that we do need to keep in mind as well, some athletic positions, war positions and so forth are not made for us. Honestly, whether we believe it or not, God made us to bare children and we are not made as rugged as men for that reason. If we were to try to play a linebacker in college football, we are a whole lot likely to get injured critically or killed. Then we would blame the other teammates and that is a risk people don't want to take.
I have no problem with women preachers, as long as she is following the Lord!!

People take this discussion harsh, but its not meant to be. Something some women don't understand is that we have been given a gift, that even a man doesn't obtain, to have kids and be a mother <3 What a beautiful gift! Life is not about obtaining men's applause, its about gaining Gods ((;

But if trying to achieve rights such as needed, then I see nothing wrong with it. Obviously, feminists were needed when women wasn't allowed the right to vote or work for themselves!! Haha. Each gender is so special, and many times our natural purposes are taken away when we start to believe we are only important if we have a title beside our name.

Galatians 3:28 - There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

1 Corinthians 11:12 - For as the woman [is] of the man, even so [is] the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

I hope that helped some?
Sorry if that seemed strange or typo inhabited, haha. I'm kinda rushing xP

message 23: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Very well said MK!!

message 24: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Aw, thank you ((:

message 25: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments I agree, this is very well said :)

message 26: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

((:

message 27: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (caitlynjones1217) | 438 comments I want to hear you guys' opinions on Harry Potter. I will say mine, but after I hear one of yours.

message 28: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (caitlynjones1217) | 438 comments I am completely against Harry Potter. I really don't want to offend anyone, but I don't like things with witchcraft or magic, since God told us to stay away from it. I could go on and on and on about this.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

...I get the feeling that you guys will judge me if I tell you that those are 4th or 5th on my top ten favorite book list....I like them. Don't hate me.

message 30: by May͛a (new)

May͛a (rhapsodyinblue) Raevyn wrote: "...I get the feeling that you guys will judge me if I tell you that those are 4th or 5th on my top ten favorite book list....I like them. Don't hate me."

............same here.

I'm addicted to the series, although all my friends tell me that, well, I shouldn't like it that much. I'm trying to "quit" and all that

message 31: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 46 comments I don't really intend to read the Harry Potter books for similar reasons others don't (it's use of magic and witchcraft). One of the reasons I enjoy the Narnian books is that I always felt Aslan was really behind all heroes so called "magic", while the villains were clearly using something evil.

message 32: by Caitlyn (new)

Caitlyn (caitlynjones1217) | 438 comments I completely agree, I was actually just discussing that with a friend. That is why I love Narnia, and the "magic" comes from Aslan. Like how powers that characters in the Bible received were from God. That's how I've always thought of it.

message 33: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 46 comments Agreed. :)

message 34: by Adaline (new)

Adaline Griffiths | 12 comments I have read the whole Harry Potter series and I admit to liking them. For a time they were an obsession for me. thankfully, now i see that an obsession is wrong, although I believe there is nothing wrong in liking them.

message 35: by M.K., Head Moderator <3 (new)

Well i won't hate anyone! Haha. (; Everyone has different opinions and therefore, that is between their relationship with God. I have never read them nor the Narnia books because I just don't like the magical side. I know, everyone always thinks I'm crazy when I name Narnia as well, but it just seems too out there. It is really something we each have to decide before God, and to each our own ((;

message 36: by Liam (new)

Liam I agree with Raevyn :) I'm reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets right now. In all honesty, I don't see anything wrong with them. I completely understand that the Bible speaks out against magic, but magic in the Bible was never used for a godly purpose. OT magicians were always wicked. The characters in Harry Potter are not (well, except for the Death Eaters, Voldemort and Umbridge). The Bible never mentioned any kind of good magic, because there was none. Harry Potter is rather obviously a fictional magic. The whole magic wands and Latin words is preposterous, and not realistic in the slightest. So no one can accuse it of giving a positive light, since it is completely fictional. It isn't like the real magic that does exist. It's kids magic, frankly. Fictional, and not meant to be take as reality. But one thing Harry Potter does do is draw a stark line between light and dark magic. I've always found that most of the considerable online debaters against Harry potter really know absolutely nothing about it. Sometimes they'll quote a villain's line about evilness as proof that Rowling is spreading Wicca, which is preposterous. What is not understood is that, while the Bible speaks against magic, all real magic is bad. Who's to say the magic in Harry Potter, which is used for good and to protect people, is too? I don't recall a Bible verse regarding magic fighting darkness. But all times that fantastical events occur in the Bible, and involve magic-like occupancies against Satan, could that not be considered light magic? Just a thought. And one final thought. Harry Potter is low fantasy, but it has been criticized for presenting magic as being accessable in the real world, which could lead to the occult for people. But magic is the only real extraordinary thing in the series. It is the ONLY thing in the series that is slightly contrary to Biblical values. All of the morals and themes in the series are Biblical. When characters go against those morals, there are always consequences.

I also wish to bring up the fact that Harry Potter is the largest target for Christian critics, but there are countless other things that should be criticized before a childrens' book series. How about the Marvel films? Magic is outlawed in the Bible. Well, so is killing. Should we then avoid every single novel where a main character kills someone? Or where a main character lies? The point is, if your literature has to adhere strictly to every single moral in the Bible, you'll be stuck with mainly 10 page kids books. And nobody ever said that you have to love the fact that Harry and company use magic. You could just accept that but not like it, just as you do that for characters who kill or lie. You don't have to love everything a main protagonist does. You're just reading to follow the story.

Okay, that's it xD

message 37: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) I agree with you Liam. I read the first book but didn't feel like I should read the others, I found it enjoyable but my parents never liked the idea of it. I found it had Christian morals and a great distinction between good and evil. The only thing that really bothered me was that they called all the women witches, that just sounds evil and dark to me, even though they were "good" witches.

message 38: by Liam (new)

Liam Funny, I actually that that was the only thing I never liked O_O the term 'witches' is a bit old-world and I don't like it, but that's really it :) weird :)

message 39: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Haha, that is pretty funny! It was one of those things that I immediately disliked, but yeah, really the only thing. :)

message 40: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Georges  (tamarasinnamon) Well, also the use of witchcraft which is along the same lines of witches. That bothered me in the same way because of its dark meaning.

message 41: by Chaya & Cinnamon (new)

Chaya & Cinnamon (chayacinnamon) | 199 comments I don't like any vampires, magic, zombies, etc.., and I base that on the Bible and the feeling from my soul that I get that those things are wrong. It doesn't matter whether the book is called "Christian" or "Secular", that's not what determines that it's good or bad, but the content in the book as well the mindset of the writer. If it's promoting something not Biblical, I don't want to read it. There are so many books to choose from that don't include or promote any of that and are so much more inspiring, entertaining, exciting, thrilling, dangerous, real, cool, and enjoyable. :)

Chaya

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda (gmarausch69) I absolutely agree with Chaya & Cinnamon!!! No magic, zombies, witches, medians, etc.!!! There are too many books based on the Word to read anything else!!!

message 43: by Karis (last edited May 20, 2016 03:13PM) (new)

Karis | 739 comments Hey, everyone I just thought I add this to your discussion. I have an awesome Bible teacher and one thing that he often says is this. "Don't ask what's wrong about it but rather what's good about it." If mostly all you find has nothing or little to do with anything godly than maybe you should reconsider why you are reading it.

Someday we're going to answer to God for the time and thoughts we've spent on what we've read.

Remember Philippians 4:8 (KJV)

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

message 44: by brooke1994 (last edited May 20, 2016 03:12PM) (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments The Bible condemns witchcraft because even though many practicing witches won't admit it, the act connects you closer to satan and the occult than with God. I love fantasy, and there can be fantasy without witchcraft. Not all fantasy is witchcraft based. I do believe in using imagination and there are some really creative people in this world, but I don't neccesarily think that people need to practice witchy things to get their creative juices flowing. I do appreciate healers because I believe that God gave the gift of healing, however, they don't really need to chant any unnecessary spells or mix any ingredients together to make potions. All they need is the power of Jesus Christ. If there are people who want to read and like Harry Potter, that is their own personal choice and they will have to face the consequences. I personally dropped it.

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Hold_My_Heart (Rachel) wrote: "The Bible condemns witchcraft because even though many practicing witches won't admit it, the act connects you closer to satan and the occult than with God. I love fantasy, and there can be fantasy..."

I agree with you. Nothing should be an obsession, not even Goodreads ;-D
I got a Harry Potter-book for my 13th birthday, and mom gave me permission to read it. So I did. And without any criticism. I found out that it was VERY well written. Almost TOO well. I'm not surprised that people are obsessed with it. But personally, for me, it was wrong. Even though I wasn't born again then, and didn't have the Holy Spirit to guide me, I felt that it was wrong. And thank God for telling me!
But those who don't feel that it's wrong, maybe it isn't for you. BUT. You must test it.
"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone into the world." 1. John 4:1
And if anything you read or watch or do makes you doubt your faith, or just gets you far away from God, drop it. Or at least decrease it. That's why I can't read all books or all movies.

message 46: by brooke1994 (new)

brooke1994  (formerlynarnian525) | 689 comments Felicity wrote: "Hold_My_Heart (Rachel) wrote: "The Bible condemns witchcraft because even though many practicing witches won't admit it, the act connects you closer to satan and the occult than with God. I love fa..."

Well said Felicity!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, and I threw the Harry Potter-book in the rubbish bin! ^^