Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Sex, Lies and Triathlon
This topic is about Sex, Lies and Triathlon
Book Issues > Book incorrectly deleted

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Monica (last edited Aug 14, 2015 09:22AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monica (monicae) | 8 comments It looks like this book was inadvertently deleted and re-added. I read this book last year and it was deleted from my book records along with my review and it was removed from my book challenge. It looks like this adjustment (at least in my feed) took place Aug 10, 2015 @ 4:28 PM PST. What happened to that record and should I go to this new record and add my info or can you restore the old records with my review along with others? Please note I am asking what happened. I did not delete this book.

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments This book was imported 10 July 2015 by the amazon bot and there have been no adjustments since then.

I can't find any other copy/edition. If another copy has been there earlier (before July 2015) and was deleted, it is not possible to retrieve it.

BTW, it is very difficult to actually delete a book. Only supers and staff can do it. (The usual 'deletion' is a merge into another edition.)

message 3: by Empress (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:16AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) It seems you are right. Unfortunately librarians are just volunteer users and we have no access that allows us to do what you are asking (or even to investigate).

However this is a serious matter and should be reported here or/and here.

Here is the cashed page of the book proving that it did exist and had 57 ratings and nine reviews.

I am copying from that page your full review as I am not sure how long these cashed pages last: (view spoiler). However you will have to add it yourself.

You rated the book Oct 21, 2014
latest review I am seeing is in May 2015 so the deletion would have happened afterwards.
EDIT: And all the book adds for the new edition are after 16th of July 2015 (it was added in the system on the 10.07.2015)

message 4: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) I've posted a link to this thread here, and I am hoping GR staff would be able to recover the data. If not, as I said, you will have to re-post the review yourself.

I do wonder why this has happened.

message 5: by lethe (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:03AM) (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Good detective work, Ellie!

Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I do wonder why this has happened"
Me too, how odd.

ETA And why do these things always come up right before the weekend. Hopefully staff will see it today and act swiftly.

message 6: by Monica (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Monica (monicae) | 8 comments I can repost the review. It is weird. Thanks for your efforts.

message 7: by Empress (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:13AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) lethe wrote: "Good detective work, Ellie!"

Thanks. Google cached pages have saved other people's reviews in the past. It's a neat trick.

lethe wrote: "Me too, how odd."

I wonder if it is the script as there was no ISBN. Could it have deleted the book? Probably not. And it is only super that can merge a book with so many adds/reviews. I just refreshed the stats. Though I did check Monica's shelf and the book is not there, so her reviews is gone.

message 8: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Monica wrote: "I can repost the review. It is weird. Thanks for your efforts."

I know you can but the other people will probably not notice this has happened. Books shouldn't just disappear. Thanks for reporting!

message 9: by lethe (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:19AM) (new)

lethe | 13729 comments Ellie [The Empress] wrote: "I wonder if it is the script as there was no ISBN."

You mean on the archived page? There is an ISBN (under 'more details'), same as on the newly added edition.

ETA ... but I realize now there were 2 other editions as well:
Sex, Lies and Triathlon (Kindle Edition)
asin: B005CBVT3O
format: Kindle Edition

Sex, Lies and Triathlon (Hardcover)
isbn: 1770674756
isbn13: 9781770674752
format: Hardcover
Published July 11th 2011 by FriesenPress

message 10: by Empress (last edited Aug 14, 2015 11:25AM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) You are correct. I didn't notice. Could it have been removed for legal reasons by staff. Hope they would notice the other thread and give us some answers.

I wonder if we should let the reviewers know so they can copy their reviews before they are gone?

Just seeing the other editions now. Book IDs: 12632504 and 12363003, can't find the third one.

message 11: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13729 comments I copied the reviews, FWIW. If staff can reinstate the editions, maybe they can reinstate the reviews as well. Maybe we should wait and see what they say?

If it's not possible, we can contact the reviewers if they allow PMs. There are only 9 reviews (8 not counting Monica), so that's doable.

message 12: by Empress (new)

Empress (the_empress) Oh I saved the whole page on my hard-drive just in case. :)