Reading with Style discussion

Travel the US (Fall 2015) > TtUS Reading Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Unfortunately the settings here at GR are not searchable and navigation is poor. Below are links to the settings by state. This list includes only those links to the state, and doesn't include the many GR settings which have more than the state designation (ex.: "Indianapolis, Indiana" and "West Texas" are not in this list.) Settings may or may not be 100% accurate for this sub-challenge. For instance, the book may include the setting, but not be over 50% in the location.

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arizona Territory
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia, United States
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Washington, DC
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:07AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Some places to look for ideas:

Listopia - enter a state name in the search box upper right; some results are mixed

Around the USA in 52 Books - looking at both the group bookshelf and individual member listings may prove fruitful

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Oh thank god for this thread! Whilst I have a lot of books by American authors I have no idea of the wheres on authors or books! Thank you!

message 4: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Here's an interesting article:

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-f...

The comments may offer some additional options.

message 5: by El (new)

El | 300 comments wikipedia has a link too :) Novels per state
I have no clue how accurate they are

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Great link, Eleanor. Thanks!

message 7: by Connie (last edited Aug 16, 2015 08:08AM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1349 comments The Goodreads Group "Around the World in 80 Books" has wonderful lists of books from every state. You would have to be careful and read the description to make sure that >50% of the book is in that state.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 8: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Another GoodReads Group "Novel Books and Reading Challenges" has a 50 state challenge which may be helpful.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula | 163 comments One more article that might be helpful...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/sm...

message 10: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4243 comments For those of us who like mysteries, here is a website where you can search by location of setting
www.stopyourekillingme.com

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments I think I'm going to make another change and skip my title for Washington, DC. I have many choices of where I can go for a substitute: New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.

I don't have to make a decision immediately - I have two books before I'd have head to New Jersey, and the other states can be last after Massachusetts.

So ... (drum roll, please)

bring on the recommendations! I'm thinking a good, well-written mystery (police procedural, thrillers OK, but not ready for Stephen King) might be what fits best, but I'm open to almost anything sort of mainstream. You all know the sort of thing I like!

message 12: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments Elizabeth, two I haven't read, but was looking at for this task might fit what you are looking for.

NH- The Last Policeman
VT- Houdini Heart

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11965 comments Jama wrote: "Elizabeth, two I haven't read, but was looking at for this task might fit what you are looking for.

NH- The Last Policeman
VT- Houdini Heart"

Oh, thanks, Jama. My library's Overdrive has the New Hampshire book, which looks good!