Reading with Style discussion

Travel the US (Fall 2015) > TtUS General Questions and Answers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Travel the United States: Read 10 Books set in 10 different US States

Click on the link above to read the full description. Post your questions about the TtUS challenge here.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments I think I have a good chance of finishing this sub challenge.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Ruling on True Grit, is it 50% in Oklahoma ? Has both this and Arkansas and Indian Country listed.

Yep, stealing my reserve books from books set in the South from Summer season!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Amanda wrote: "Ruling on True Grit, is it 50% in Oklahoma ? Has both this and Arkansas and Indian Country listed.

Yep, stealing my reserve books from books set in the South from Summer season!"

There is one review - quite a good one, too - that clearly says most of the book takes place in Arkansas.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Should obviously have scrolled down!

Still works for me as I have nothing listed for Arkansas.

Thanks!

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth, I did flick through reviews this time, and I see you read The Stone Diaries. it lists Canada before Indiana, does it work for Indiana?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Amanda wrote: "Elizabeth, I did flick through reviews this time, and I see you read The Stone Diaries. it lists Canada before Indiana, does it work for Indiana?"

I honestly can't tell you - it would be close, I think. It was a little better than 6 years ago that I read it and my memory of it isn't as clear as I would like it to be. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Amanda - I'm wrong about the 6 years ago part. Darn GR! They leave on the book page the date you added to your shelves, not the date you marked it read. Anyway, it was a couple of years ago, and as close as I can remember, The Stone Diaries is about evenly split between Canada and Indiana. So much of it is flashbacks.

message 9: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Amanda - I'm wrong about the 6 years ago part. Darn GR! They leave on the book page the date you added to your shelves, not the date you marked it read. Anyway, it was a couple of years ago, and as..."

Ok, thanks Elizabeth, sounds like it can work then. Which gives me 19 books that I have been able to find on my shelves - woohoo! Now, if I could only find the ones my husband thought he had then I can make 2 lists and see how I go!

message 10: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments Has anyone read The Water Knife? It looks like it takes place in Phoenix, but las Vegas is mentioned as well. Is it 50% in Arizona or Nevada?

message 11: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Just to clarify since not all of us live in US, the borders for Wash. DC would be Maryland and Virginia, right?

message 12: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Rebekah wrote: "Just to clarify since not all of us live in US, the borders for Wash. DC would be Maryland and Virginia, right?"

Yes, DC borders Virginia and Maryland only.

message 13: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Rebekah wrote: "Just to clarify since not all of us live in US, the borders for Wash. DC would be Maryland and Virginia, right?"

Actually, for those of us who are outside of America, and can't read a map .... CAN any of my 20 selections work for Landrover ? I tried, but could only make 6 connections at the most.

I would ask my husband, but after telling him about the challenge he spent 1.5 hours playing a game where he had to name the states on a map, and he only got 41 right after all that time. Sadly, I think he did better than I would :(

message 14: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Amanda wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Just to clarify since not all of us live in US, the borders for Wash. DC would be Maryland and Virginia, right?"

Actually, for those of us who are outside of America, and can't rea..."

I looked at your list and could not make a 10 state run.

But, I also spent a few minutes looking at your to read list and if you add Junky or The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn to your plan, I get the following 10 state run:

Ohio
Indiana
Illinois
Missouri-add one of the above books
Arkansas
Texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Tennessee
North Carolina

message 15: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments thanks Kate, I had considered Junky, but didn't notice it on a list. I may have been sitting there for 4 hours early Saturday morning looking at them :o

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments It is important to remember that places/settings on Goodreads don't necessarily reflect the requirements for this challenge. A location can be entered on GR even if the characters spend only a small portion of the book there. This is especially likely when 2 or more locations are given for a title.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Ed - someone else should chime in here, but I don't remember that much of Moll Flanders takes place in Virginia. I think most of it takes place in the UK.

message 18: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments Can someone who has read Prodigal Summer tell me if 50% is in Virginia or is it mostly in Kentucky? Looking around on the web gives mixed answers, but it looks like maybe Virginia?

Thoughts?

message 19: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 2369 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Ed - someone else should chime in here, but I don't remember that much of Moll Flanders takes place in Virginia. I think most of it takes place in the UK."

ok..thanks Elizabeth

message 20: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 18, 2015 10:02AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments from Goodreads book descriptions…"The novel's full title gives some insight into this & the outline of the plot: "The Fortunes & Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, &c. Who was Born in Newgate, & during a Life of continu'd Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Year a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her own Brother), Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv'd Honest, & died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums." (less)"

She also returns to England at the end of the book.

message 21: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Has anyone read The Rope by Nevada Barr? The setting is Glen Canyon National Recreational Area but that park is in both Arizona and Utah. Does anyone know where most of the action happens?

message 22: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6029 comments Amanda wrote: "thanks Kate, I had considered Junky, but didn't notice it on a list. I may have been sitting there for 4 hours early Saturday morning looking at them :o"

Junky works for you, as an international member, because the author was born in Missouri. I believe the book is actually set in New York.

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1527 comments Kate S wrote: "Amanda wrote: "thanks Kate, I had considered Junky, but didn't notice it on a list. I may have been sitting there for 4 hours early Saturday morning looking at them :o"

Junky works for you, as an ..."

Thanks again Kate.

I had looked at it, but had also checked out Audible for Huck Finn, and there is a version read by Elijah Wood, which I am thinking I might download and listen to, so will probably go with that.

Will re-post tonight as I get home early :)

message 24: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments A logistical question - are the itineraries going to be approved in advance? I have been finding it difficult to determine the setting of a couple books, and wonder what will happen if we are halfway through this challenge and find ourselves reading a book that doesn't fit the state setting requirements?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments No, the itineraries do not need to be approved in advance and you're free to change either the itinerary or the book for a state at any time. (And, yes, sometimes it's hard to know in advance the setting for a book, which is why the threshold is only "more than 50%" - sometimes those characters have a way of escaping where we think they should be.)

message 26: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Aug 23, 2015 08:36AM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments I have a question, I wanted to read Fallout (Crank, #3) by Ellen Hopkins for this subchallenge and it is a young adult book. So I checked on Lexile and the book was not one of the books listed by that author. However, her other books were. So do you go by the highest rating of one of those books? The highest rating I saw was 770. I checked on the Brooklyn public library site. The location says YA fiction but the call section says fiction.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments I'm sorry, Jayme. If the book has no lexile, we score it as being below 800. It won't work for the sub-challenge.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments That's what I thought. I just wanted to make sure.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Valerie, when you post your New Mexico L'Amour read, please use this book link: Shalako. That way we'll have the right book/page count/pub year in our database. Thanks!

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Does anyone know if Beloved is more than 50% in Ohio?

message 31: by Jama (last edited Aug 30, 2015 11:30AM) (new)

Jama | 242 comments I am nervous about reading spoilers in the synopsis of Wool Omnibus, but would like to know if the location of the underground silo is in a specific state. Does anyone know?

message 32: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments Sorry, but I have another question. Does Thaliad work as a book for NY, as it takes place on Lake Glimmerglass, James Fennimore Cooper's alternate name for Ostego Lake in New York? (http://tomcatintheredroom.com/2013/01...)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Jama wrote: "Sorry, but I have another question. Does Thaliad work as a book for NY, as it takes place on Lake Glimmerglass, James Fennimore Cooper's alternate name for Ostego Lake in New York? ..."

Yes. There is even a real Glimmerglass State Park in New York. All that is required of these fictional locales is that they be located in a real US state.

Sorry, I can't answer your Wool Omnibus question. I did look through some of the reviews and a location wasn't mentioned in them.

message 34: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments Great! Thanks:-)

message 35: by Joanna (last edited Aug 31, 2015 08:22AM) (new)

Joanna (walker) | 1364 comments I think the silos are in Georgia.

http://www.placingliterature.com/map/...

message 36: by Jama (new)

Jama | 242 comments Thanks Joanna! What a great resource:-)

message 37: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Joanna wrote: "Can someone who has read Prodigal Summer tell me if 50% is in Virginia or is it mostly in Kentucky? Looking around on the web gives mixed answers, but it looks like maybe Virginia?

Th..."

I remember reading it but one of the main characters was a Park Ranger in the Great Smoky Mountains National park which is in Tennessee and North Carolina. I think I remember recognizing some areas mentioned in Tennessee. I hope you read it though. It's one of my favorites

message 38: by Rebekah (last edited Aug 31, 2015 09:30AM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver takes place primarily in Virginia although it references her childhood days on a farm in Kentucky

Another favorite

message 39: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Wonderful books that take place in Kentucky by a favorite author of mine are Clay's Quilt, The Coal Tattoo and A Parchment of Leaves by Silas House

message 40: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Now I've figured out five itineraries for all 50 States unless I leave out Maine so I can read Wash. D.C. It was fun to do but of course I'll be happy with getting through one of them.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Rebekah wrote: "Now I've figured out five itineraries for all 50 States unless I leave out Maine so I can read Wash. D.C. It was fun to do but of course I'll be happy with getting through one of them."

And you can do only two of them. Choose the ones you're looking forward to the most!

message 42: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4239 comments Or the one I think I'll get finished!

message 43: by Katy (new)

Katy | 890 comments If you like mysteries, Nevada Barr writes great mysteries set in different national parks. Though the series has the same central character and a few continuing storylines, the books can stand alone so you can read out of order. Lots of different states represented! :)

Theresa~OctoberLace (octoberlace) | 518 comments Set in Connecticut...

I just posted my finish of Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg, which is currently a Man Booker Prize Nominee for Longlist (2015). This story of people dealing with a terrible tragedy was a 5 star read for me, and I highly recommend it.

Since this book didn't really fit the Fall RWS tasks, I was originally going to post it in 10.1 - Authors. The GR description makes it seem that the story starts in Connecticut but quickly moves across the country. As I read, I realized that most of the story (over 50% and probably 75% or more) remains anchored in Connecticut.

message 45: by Anika (new)

Anika | 1846 comments planning my itinerary and have a question about the 4 corners region...since I can drive my car from Utah to New Mexico (diagonally linked) will that work for the challenge? or do I have to go Utah>Arizona>New Mexico or Utah>Colorado>New Mexico ? it seems like it should be obvious, maybe I'm overthinking it, but better safe than sorry, no?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Anika wrote: "planning my itinerary and have a question about the 4 corners region...since I can drive my car from Utah to New Mexico (diagonally linked) will that work for the challenge? or do I have to go Utah..."

We were thinking you should travel across a state border not a corner, so no to the diagonal.

message 47: by Valerie (last edited Sep 18, 2015 07:16AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2386 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie, when you post your New Mexico L'Amour read, please use this book link: Shalako. That way we'll have the right book/page count/pub year in our database. Thanks!"

Thanks for finding that, Elizabeth. Now that I've had the problem with The Wayward Bus, I've spent some time trying to find High Lonesome + Shalako (L. L'Amour) to no avail. I can only think they either never had them or they've deacquistioned them (as libraries do). How is this handled? If books aren't in their database can they qualify (for this or any task)?

I think I just saw the answer to this in the FAQ. Since I can't find these books they are eligible - is this correct? Thanks.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Valerie wrote: "How is this handled? If books aren't in their database can they qualify (for this or any task)? "

Books can be (and are) added to the database often. You can even add it yourself, or if you would prefer leave the details in the librarians thread and I'll add it for you.

message 49: by Bea (new)

Bea | 1553 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "How is this handled? If books aren't in their database can they qualify (for this or any task)? "

Books can be (and are) added to the database often. You can even add it yourself, ..."

Elizabeth, I think Valerie was referring to BPL, not Goodreads, since both Shalako and High Lonesome are in GRs database.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11948 comments Bea wrote: "Elizabeth, I think Valerie was referring to BPL, not Goodreads, since both Shalako and High Lonesome are in GRs database.
"

Ah, I misunderstood that. Books not at BPL are deemed not shelved as YA by them and therefore the Lexile rule does not apply. Does that answer what is being asked?

« previous 1