Book Haven discussion

Horror > What horror book are you currently reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I know this may seem redundant and if this thread gets deleted that's ok too =D. I just wanted there to be a place to talk about horror books as opposed to everything we are reading in general. I hope this is OK.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Since I usually am reading more than one book at a time I am currently reading Cabal by Clive Barker as one of my horror reads. It is more than a general creepy horror book. Clive Barker is head and shoulders above most horror authors because he is imaginative and just plain wicked =D.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Cabal seems to be a series of short stories. i am on the 3rd one now. I liked the 1st one best.

message 4: by BK (new)

BK Blue (paradoxically) Yes, Clive Barker can really write some horror! I have read some of his short stories before and I own Weaveworld which I need to read, maybe after I finish Brimstone. I started reading it before, but I had to stop due to moving and school. Needless to say, I will have to start over. And it's a HUGE book, lol.

But I remember it being good and creepy.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Clive writes with a visceral literary style. Some of his short stories I'd like to read at length. I started and lost The Great and Secret Show so many times I gave up trying to read it. LOL. Though I did like what I read. I loved the Thief of Always =D.

I am now reading Dying to Live by Kim Paffenroth.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Finished Dying to Live. I didn't like it as much as other zombie horror. Even zombie horror that wasn't quite horror was a little more enjoyable.

Not sure what my next horror read will be :)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments Let the Right One in...can't wait for Halloween though! I have a lot of scary books I am holding off on for October! YAY!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Jessica: That is a great idea...but then about Octoberfest and 13 days of Halloween, lol. I think I may start Robert McCammon,Tim Lebbon, or Scott Richardson this month to complete a challenge. Have you read them before?

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 82 comments Kenjii wrote: "Jessica: That is a great idea...but then about Octoberfest and 13 days of Halloween, lol. I think I may start Robert McCammon,Tim Lebbon, or [author:Scott Richardson..."

Non! What are these books you speak of? What are they about? Do tell! Shall I add them to my TBR list?

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I started Unhappy Endings by Brian Keene today.

Jessica: Robert McCammon's Swan Song is THE BEST post apocalyptic horror book I have personally ever read. I have yet to read Tim Lebbon or Scott Richardson but they are recommended to me by [horror author:] Brian Keene. For creep fest horror Gerald's Gameby Stephen King made me not want to read his books at night or before bed.

message 11: by Jo (new)

Jo I am reading The Dark by James Herbert . Its very creepy!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Ooh! That gave me chills! Let us know how it turns out! Unhappy Endings by Brian Keene has a great start. Brian Keene takes the human condition and intensifies it to the point where you believe this is very well possible. As insane as the situation is.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading 'The Cellar' by Richard Laymon. It's brilliant!

message 14: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited Oct 20, 2009 07:19AM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I read a couple Laymon books. His writing inspired my fave horror author Brian Keene. Enjoy!

message 15: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments Complete H.P. Lovecraft, Kindle Edition

message 16: by Jo (new)

Jo I am reading Dracula which is kind of horror.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Just finished Urban Gothic. Man! I love this author! He comes up with the strangest beast/creature/zombie survival situations. His horror is social commentary to a point. Then the brain mashing begins and its all over for humans.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Another Keene delight:Ghost Walk

message 19: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 13 comments I have Heart-Shaped Boxon my TBR pil. I keep meaning to read it. I think after my last book on the TBR challenge list I might read this.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Gem: Sounds good =D

message 21: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 13 comments Its completely out of my normal reading comfort zone. I'm usually more PNR or UF than horro

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Gem: I read whatever sounds interesting. So I like A LOT of genres and sub-genres =D Post ur thoughts or/and review when done.

message 23: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 13 comments I will. I'll even keep a update on my currently reading bit of my profile. :D

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Heartsick-Chelsea Cain
I had a month long series of computer crashes and this is one of the books I started during that time.It is highly recommended on another forum I`m on.I`ve read more than my share of horror/mystery books=Slaughter,Isles,etc,but for some reason this serial killer really bothers me.She is a psychiatrist and has killed a minimum of 30 some and the story all thru the book of the horrid things she did to the detective she lured into her trap is right up there with the worst of them.But a 5* read I think,so far.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Sounds downright psychotic Kathy. Love it. I do prefer my horror a little more than hack and slash gory. This sounds interesting.

I found a new horror author[Brandon Ford:] on twitter through my fave author horror author[Brian Keene:] doing #FF. Brandon Ford is really funny, witty with his tweets but his book Splattered Beauty I have debated reading. I am thinking, "Do I really want these visuals in my head?"

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Kenjii,
It is Psychotic,I read thru the reviews on here and they compare her to Hannible Lecturn only worse,her profession makes her perfect to not only physically torture but to shatter the minds too,I can`t wait to get started on the second book.
There is an awful lack of romance tho that I miss but maybe it might be in the next book...Hope,hope,hope

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Ah Kathy yes sacrifice the love to wallow in the blood. I sometimes limit myself to 1 horror at a time, during daytime hours and perhaps once a month.

You'll have to post your thoughts on her for me =D.

message 28: by Jo (new)

Jo I'm reading Under the Dome and Battle Royale. Both are pretty good so far.

message 29: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments American Gothic - Robert Bloch

It's thriller/horror rather than spooky monster horror!

I mentioned it over on the Currently Reading thread ... it's a fictionalized version of the same story told in The Devil in the White City Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, which I thought was fascinating.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

stormhawk,
Is The Devil In the White City the book about the pharmasist fiend at the Chicago Worlds Fair where he takes over a whole hotel to kill these girls in.If it is that one I`m surprised there is this version of it,I have never seen it.Please let us know your thoughts on it .

message 31: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2009 06:21AM) (new)

Kenjii,Well I finished the second book-Sweetheart-and after reading two books of continued torture descriptions ,and finally finding out that the victim -the main vic-is sicker than the killer,I decided to give it up and forget the third book because the blurb says there will even be a fourth with these two wack jobs.I `m kind of disappointed,it seems like a big waste of time now.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Kathy Anne, I looked up the Chelsea Cain books. They sound interesting, but I'm definitely too wimpy to read those.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Danielle,
I have read so many horror authors I am surprised at myself for being so grossed out, and wimpy too!
And they do really gross me out ,and the really bad part was finding out what a sicko the main victim is and his obsession with the killer.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Yeah, that would be disturbing. Human monstrosity is the scariest thing to me. Even more scary than demons.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Kathy Anne: Was the horror overwhelming or repetitive?

message 36: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2009 10:26PM) (new)

Hi Kenjii,
I thought it was both,overwhelming and repetitive because it was described in detail at the front and then she throws in a whole chapter going over nothing but those she has tortured and how,then a couple present day chapters and then you just relax and she throws another torture chapture at you,so I got to feel like she was going to spring out of somewhere in person at me,I think it got quite personal.
And the descriptions were very medical because she is a Dr.(Shrink)she is well educated in the atrocities she did on her victims.She even bragged about killing and torturing children.
There is a great review on here by Gena ,butI actually I am not going to review book 2 because there is no way I can see how without giving the reason these two wackos are so obsessed with each other,and I hope I can stick to what I said about not reading anymore of them.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Kenjii,
I just ordered Swan Song-OMG ,same plot as Stephens The Stand only better -and more -OMG I love that book and besides we somtimes live in the same places on the highway they were traveling to get to Boulder.We happened to be there when I was still reading it at 3AM and it was raining and a bad night and I hear this small plane come over sputtering like mad and the naxt day I read that that plane crashed ,just a little south of our place.The spooky book made it seem like that night was just a part of the awful walk East.

message 38: by Elena (new)

Elena I am reading Books of Blood 1-3. They are short stories. I read a couple of them between books.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Kathy Anne: I remember first reading Swan Song. Definately in my Top 10 favorite horror books. I really enjoy the survival horror most.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Currently starting:
Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I need to read Swan Song!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I read it as a teen and its always been a memorable post-apocalyptic horror.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) So I've heard. Do you like it or The Stand better? I've heard them get compared.

message 44: by Chriss (new)

Chriss | 15 comments I'm currently reading Queen Victoria Demon Hunter. I'm planning to review it for the letter "Q" for my ABC of Historical Fiction review project.

message 45: by Jo (new)

Jo Patient Zero: A Joe Ledger Novel, well it's kind of horror

message 47: by Unapologetic_Bookaholic (last edited May 21, 2010 10:32PM) (new)

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Danielle: I haven't read The Stand, but I have also heard them being compared. I am not a S.King fan.

Jo: More military thriller with a dash of horror. Overall great read. There's a short story [or two:] that follow the series. The Dragon Factory is the next book. I chatted with the author when he leftme a comment about upcoming reads. He asked who I thought would play well as the characters in a screen adaptation of Patient Zero.

Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ  (tivarepusoinegnimunamuhsunegiuq) | 2054 comments I've just finished The Stand by Stephen King. woww... totaly incredible :D

message 49: by Jo (new)

Jo Kenjii ~*~Black Kat~**~ wrote: "Danielle: I haven't read The Stand, but I have also heard them being compared. I am not a S.King fan.

Jo: More military thriller with a dash of horror. Overall great read. There's a short story [..."

I have seen him post in a few groups. Is The Dragon Factory connected to Patient Zero? I finished it today and i really liked it!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Its a Joe Ledger novel,The Dragon Factory.

« previous 1