Mock Newbery 2022 discussion

Newbery 2016 > Jack The True Story of Jack and the Beanstalk by Liesl Shurtiff

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Josephine (new)

Josephine Sorrell (jothebookgirl) | 251 comments I read the book and was surprised at how much I liked it. The writing was fun and the story was so clever. I haven't read Rump and wondered if a sequel, even if it is read as s stand alone has a hard time with the committee. I wonder what other readers in this group thought. Nevertheless I think middle school students will really take to these books.

message 2: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 2 comments I didn't read Jack yet but I did read Rump and it seemed like a stand-alone book to me. Very entertaining read! Along those lines, I recommend A Tale Dark and Grimm. My fourth grade students went gaga for that series. My reluctant readers, especially, couldn't put them down. They kept harassing each other about finishing, as there were long waiting lines for each of the three books!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol M | 46 comments I read Rump but I found it tedious. I wouldn't necessarily pick up Jack but maybe I will give it a try.

message 4: by Czechgirl (new)

Czechgirl | 214 comments I loved Rump and so I bought Jack. I liked Jack as well. Jo, the King Barf and Martha the kitchen maid were in Rump so that would give you clearer picture of what type of characters these two were.