Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > Early reading memories!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I have always been a reader since I learned to read, which was, accdg to my Mom at 4 years old and 8 months.

I would read practically anything, and looked funny trying to read encyclopedias at 7 years old.

However, it wasn't until I was around 10 years old that I discovered fiction.

If I recall correctly the first few books I read included Valley of the Dolls by Jacqueline Susan (hey, somebody left the book lying around), an early Janet Dailey Mills&Boon book (I think the title was That Boston Man) and Robert Ludlum's The Parsifal Mosaic.

That started my reading habit, making me read mostly adult fiction and bestsellers. However, romance became more than a habit; it's an addiction.

As I told my hubby, there are people who read books and there are readers. Readers are people who can't live without reading.

How about you, guys? Were you always readers or did a book made you that way? What was the milestone in your life that made you a reader?

Please share.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) The earliest (and oddly, the only) book I remember reading in school was Tom Sawyer in fourth grade.

As for books I choose myself, sometime when I was a preteen I discovered the Trixie Beldon mysteries. I've got about 20 of the 35 or so books in the series and I still have them even now 30 years later. lol The rest of the series the public library at that time had in the children's section. I remember reading preferring the Trixie Beldon mysteries to Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys. (Although I had a crush on Shaun Cassidy that starred in The Hardy Boys on tv. lol)

message 3: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) I have always been a reader and Trixie Beldon was also my first serious addiction to reading. Then I got hooked on romance books and devoured everything by Rosemary Rogers, Kathleen E. Woodwiss and the like. My mother was also a reader and we went to the library together every week. I can still remember laying in bed listening to Chicago on my 8-track (yes, I'm that old) and getting so engrossed in a book that everything else in the world just slipped away.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I remember 8 tracks too Lori. My first stereo in my bedroom was a combo that played records, 8 tracks and the radio. I don't think it had a cassette player in it, but I got one of those later.

message 5: by Willow (new)

Willow Brook I can remember looking at my parents and brothers reading and wishing I knew how. I also remember being in the car and looking at signs, asking what they said and trying to understand the words. My family loved to read and my mom read to me every day, but I yearned to learn the skill for myself. It was like everyone had a secret decoder ring but me. :-)

I finally learned how to read in 1st Grade (this was back when Kindergarten was almost purely socialization). However I got a library card when I was five. My mother had dropped me off for Story Hour one day and when she picked me up outside, I got in the car with books. She asked me where I got those and I told her I was borrowing them because that's what the library was for. When she explained that I needed a card, I was mortified that people might think I was stealing. She took me inside to the check out desk and everyone was very nice about it. To save me from entering a life of crime, they decided I could have a card of my own and I legally took my chosen books home with me.

message 6: by Julianna (new)

Julianna (authorjuliannad) | 1755 comments I've always inherently been a reader. One of my mom's favorite stories about me was how my grandmother came to visit when I was 2 years old. Apparently, I got out one of my favorite picture books about Bugs Bunny and read it to her word for word leaving her shocked. I was far too young to remember that day now, so I don't know if I was reading from memory or actually reading the words. I do know that I could read the words long before entering kindergarten though, and I always read far above my grade level.

Through my grade school years, I have fond memories of reading my mom's set of Little House on the Prairie books over and over, and every children's book we had in the house was read many times too. I even started on the children's encyclopedia, though I never read all the way through it.:-) I also remember being obsessed with Nancy Drew mysteries and any books about horses. Through late grade school and middle school, I was always checking those books and many others out of the school library.

From the time I was a little girl, I was crazy about fairy tales and stories that had any kind of romantic relationships in them even if it was a minor part, so romances for me were a natural fit. I went to a small Christian high school, and discovered a handful of inspirational romances in their tiny library. From there I started checking out as many of those as I could find from our public library. Then in my late teens my mom told me about an article she'd read about Barbara Cartland. I started checking her books out of the library too, and she became a transition author for me to get into mainstream romance. When I met my MIL, a fellow romance lover, she introduced me to Julie Garwood and opened up a whole new world of possibilities in romance.

Aside from a ten year reading drought after my son was born, I've been reading books as long as I can remember. Long story short: I've always loved books and reading, and couldn't possibly imagine a world without books. Some of my best memories in life involve books.:-)

message 7: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (jacqden04) | 15 comments My first book series was Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol. I would read them over and over. Then my parents bought Children Encyclopedias from a door-to-door salesman and I would read them cover-to-cover every chance I got. I have been reading books every since.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_mc) | 670 comments My favorite book as a child was The Worst Witch, I guess my love of the paranormal started even then. I won the book in Primary 1, I was 4 then. A few years later I made myself a little hidey hole in my wardrobe where I used to disappear to Narnia and often didn't want to come home!

I was that well known at the library in Secondary School that the rules didn't apply to me, I had no limit to the books I took, new books where always put aside for me. I spent so much time in there.

My Dad used to sneak me books when my Mum was out, she used to be funny about what I was allowed to read. Thankfully the Library let you take out adult books when you turn 14, I had worked my way through all the Nancy Drew, Judy Blume, Paula Danziger... Even most of the Point Series.

My love of books seems to have passed on to my eldest, he's four and has story time every day, even when I was pregnant I read to him. We try to go to the Library every week for Bounce & Rhyme which the baby loves!

message 9: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 204 comments My earliest memories were my mom reading Dr. Seuss books to me and then it was me reading those books to my younger brother. He used to laugh like crazy when I made silly voices for the characters. I had a ton of books as a child and I read everything. My mother was a teacher and a bookaholic herself, so I guess I inherited my addiction from her. :-)

My favorite series as a child were the Sweet Valley Twins. My mom bought them for me to read while we were on vacation one summer. I think my eyes popped out of my head I was so excited to see the bag full.

I think the first romance I read, I must have been about 12. I took one from mom's library. I've been hooked on romance ever since!

Now that I have kids of my own, I have a ton of books for them and I'm pleased to see, so far, they love them just as much as me and my mom.

Fani *loves angst* (fanip) | 67 comments I always loved reading although I cannot remember my first book. I do remember though reading under the blankets with a small flashlight until late in the night, so my mother would think I was sleeping:)
I too loved fairytales and any story with a little romance in it. My mother's harlequins got me addicted to the genre and I remember on holidays that I would read 2 in a day!
After having kids, I only read romance, since I need the no-thinking plot and HEA guaranteed to keep me blissfully happy and away from everyday's tasks.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Worst Witch (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Donald J. Sobol (other topics)