Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

P.B. Ryan
This topic is about P.B. Ryan
Featured Authors > Featured Author - September 2015: P. B. Ryan

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (last edited Aug 14, 2015 01:10AM) (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1664 comments Mod
 photo Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 11.05.00 AM.png

P.B. Ryan is our featured author for September.

P.B. Ryan also writes as Patricia Ryan

Author website: http://www.pb-ryan.com

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read her work again, etc.)

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1086 comments The first of Gilded Age series Still Life With Murder was already on my TBR list so I gravitated to that one. I have access to two large library systems and the only copy either had (paper, audio or digital) was missing! Sigh. (And I live in Boston where the series is set.) So I checked Amazon and it is free on kindle - they often do that with the first in a series. So I'm ready for September.

message 3: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 691 comments That one's been on my TBR shelf for a long time too.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

I added Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan when someone in this group recommended it. So I'm going to read it as well.

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Thanks, Sandy for the heads up on it being free for Kindle - perfect timing!

For anyone who want the link to Amazon, Here it is

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks! I got the freebie, so I'm all set for September. :)

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments I've read Still Life With Murder and really enjoyed it. I've bought the second in the series because I sense the characters will develop more with each book. My mother-in-law read the whole series and loved it.

message 8: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments Still Life with Murder has been on my TBR forever...I'll finally get around to it!

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my favorite periods...I'm in for September!

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 60 comments I read the whole Nell Sweeney series when it came out. I really enjoyed them. I was sorry the series ended. But it's always nice to have a reason to go back for a re-read.

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Yay, I purchased this one back in 2012 on kindle so I can finally have a reason to read it.

message 12: by Tabby (new)

Tabby (feudancer) | 14 comments The first book is also free on Barnes and Noble. I ended up binge reading all six books last week! They were very enjoyable (though I'll admit to rating them between 3-4 stars). My only complaint is that they were too short, just over 150 pages per book.

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Tabby wrote: "My only complaint is that they were too short, just over 150 pages per book. "

That's strange. The page numbers here on Goodreads and Amazon are between 320 for the first book and 276 for the 2nd.

message 14: by Tabby (new)

Tabby (feudancer) | 14 comments Lauren wrote: "Tabby wrote: "My only complaint is that they were too short, just over 150 pages per book. "

That's strange. The page numbers here on Goodreads and Amazon are between 320 for the first book and 27..."

You're right. It's at book 3 the books start getting short, from less than 200 pages to 140 for book 6.

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Tabby wrote: "You're right. It's at book 3 the books start getting short, from less than 200 pages to 140 for book 6. "

I guess she had less of a story to tell...

message 16: by Tabby (new)

Tabby (feudancer) | 14 comments Lauren wrote: "Tabby wrote: "You're right. It's at book 3 the books start getting short, from less than 200 pages to 140 for book 6. "

I guess she had less of a story to tell..."

I wish she had more! I was swept up reading them! I hope she writes another historical mystery series, as I'm not too interested in reading her romance series.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Has anyone read the romance series? I didn't know she had one!

message 18: by Tabby (new)

Tabby (feudancer) | 14 comments Michelle wrote: "Has anyone read the romance series? I didn't know she had one!"

She writes under Patricia Ryan for her romance novels. According to her website, though historical fiction is where her interests lie, writing romance novels pays the bills.

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Cox | 221 comments Ha! Thanks, Tabby!

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) I finished Still Life With Murder tonight and rate it 3.5 stars. I liked it but not my favourite historical mystery series. I will probably continue the series but not in a rush to.

message 21: by M. (new)

M. Myers (mruth) | 8 comments The opening of Still Life With Murder did two things I particularly like in a book, particularly when it's setting up a series. First, it plunged us into action. Even though the action was rather tangentially connected to the actual mystery, it provided a smooth transition.

Second, the opening chapters delivered plenty of backstory -- and a pinch of mystery about something in Nell's past -- without bringing the narrative to a stop in order to do so.

Throughout the book, author Ryan did a splendid job of less-is-more when setting up the romantic thread. This underwriting made the moments of attraction all the more powerful. The characters came across as intelligent adults.

message 22: by Merle (new)

Merle (merletau70) | 146 comments I like Ryan's "other" novels, especially her medieval ones. Her novel Silken Threads is a 14th (?) century version of the movie Rear Window. It has a happy ending even though there is some pain involved getting there. The second one of the series is a take on "Notorious", the 1940's Hitchcock classic with a woman acting as a double agent while falling in love with her handler. I enjoyed these stories.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Started Still Life With Murder last night.

It's pretty good. I like Nell's character. She is a very practical sort and there are just enough hints about her past to make her very intriguing.

The mystery is a bit obvious though. I have a suspect in mind already (on chapter 6) and it will be interesting to see if I'm right.

William is an ambiguous character - he's obviously been traumatized by his experiences during the war, but he was also a "problem child" so to speak before then. I wonder if (view spoiler). I also think that William is (view spoiler)

message 24: by Lauren (new)

I finished Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan and enjoyed it very much although the mystery was predictable.

I will continue with the series.

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (trakka) Lauren wrote: "I finished Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan and enjoyed it very much although the mystery was predictable.

I will continue with the series."

(view spoiler)

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Tracey wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I finished Still Life With Murder (Nell Sweeney Mystery Series, #1) by P.B. Ryan and enjoyed it very much although the mystery was predictable.

I will continue with the series."

[spoilers removed]"

Lol! Yes, they were pretty accurate and my guess as to the culprit was also spot on. I hope that the next book isn't as obvious. I like it when a book surprised me.

message 27: by M. (new)

M. Myers (mruth) | 8 comments I read the book a couple of years ago and at some later point downloaded the second. To date, I haven't read it. Like Lauren and Tracey, I enjoyed it, but equally as well written and more to my taste.

message 28: by Sandy (last edited Sep 15, 2015 08:06PM) (new)

Sandy | 1086 comments Enjoyable and light -I'm more interested in the characters than the mystery - though I had the wrong culprit. I'll continue with the series to learn her history and his future. While I loved the Irish detective I felt his tolerance of Nell's 'help' was not realistic.

message 29: by Lauren (new)

@Sandy - I agree. The characters are more interesting than the mystery.
The detective was way too tolerant and the fact that he allowed Nell to tag along to crime scenes and interviews was not believable at all!
By the way, who did you suspect?

message 30: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1086 comments Lauren wrote: "@Sandy - I agree. The characters are more interesting than the mystery.
The detective was way too tolerant and the fact that he allowed Nell to tag along to crime scenes and interviews was not beli..."

The wild brother - but I suppose we'll need him around for future ne'er-do-well activities.

message 31: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments I've just started but am only about 50 pages in. So far, so good.

message 32: by Lauren (new)

Sandy wrote: "The wild brother - but I suppose we'll need him around for future ne'er-do-well activities. "

Ah, he was a good suspect :0)

message 33: by Lauren (new)

Meghan wrote: "I've just started but am only about 50 pages in. So far, so good."

Hope you enjoy it, Meghan!

message 34: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 218 comments I discovered these books last year, and devoured them - I loved the main characters, and thought the writing was outstanding. I only wish this was one of those series that would keep going indefinitely.

message 35: by Lauren (new)

Tracey wrote: "I discovered these books last year, and devoured them - I loved the main characters, and thought the writing was outstanding. I only wish this was one of those series that would keep going indefini..."

Good to know there are good books ahead :0)

I'm not sure if Ryan is planning on continuing the series though...

message 36: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 261 comments I FINALLY got around to finishing Still Life With Murder (Gilded Age Mystery, #1) by P.B. Ryan . I really liked it and am definitely planning on continuing the series.

message 37: by Lauren (new)

Meghan wrote: "I FINALLY got around to finishing Still Life With Murder (Gilded Age Mystery, #1) by P.B. Ryan. I really liked it and am definitely planning on continuing the series."

Glad you enjoyed it, Meghan

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Finished Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2) by P.B. Ryan - there was a moment when I almost gave up on this book because it has a trope that I dislike. Nevertheless, I managed to get past it and am glad I did because it ended up being a very good read. Looking forward to continuing with the series.

message 39: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1086 comments Murder in a Mill Town has been on my TBR since our group read of the first book - thanks for the reminder and for the warning to push thru to the end. And I need that series for my "Gilded Age" category in our 2016 challenge.