Dreamspinner Press discussion

Meet the Author > Meet Jay Northcote and Maggie Kavanagh

Comments Showing 1-50 of 217 (217 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Dreamspinner (new)

Dreamspinner Press (dreamspinnerpress) | 2637 comments Mod
Chat with Jay Northcote, author of "Not Just Friends" and Maggie Kavanagh, author of "Taking Flight" this Saturday, March 1st from 2-5pm EST/11am-2pm PST/7-10pm GMT right here!

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Test post!

Come and say hi later if you can :)

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments 2 minutes to go! :D who's coming to talk to us?

message 4: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments Evening ladies :)

message 5: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments Or is it afternoon too?

message 6: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Hellooo I am here :)

message 7: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments WELCOME :)

message 8: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments

message 9: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments I love that gif....

message 10: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Annabelle wrote: "Evening ladies :)"
Hi Annabelle, how are you today?

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Such a dirty glitter bomb. ;) Good evening (afternoon for me)!

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments

Okay one more... never enough Tom Daley ;)

message 13: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments I'm good :) Just opened a bottle of Prosecco - cheers!

message 14: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments One of those mornings, so the gifs are just what I need...and hi, by the way!

message 15: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Posy wrote: "Wow! Such a dirty glitter bomb. ;) Good evening (afternoon for me)!"

Hey Posy :)
I totally stole that gif from Con Riley but it's awesome - and perfect for release week celebrations!

message 16: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Koozebane wrote: "One of those mornings, so the gifs are just what I need...and hi, by the way!"

Hi and thanks for coming by to chat with us!

message 17: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Koozebane wrote: "One of those mornings, so the gifs are just what I need...and hi, by the way!"

Hi, thanks for coming! I love those Tom Daley gifs :) he's so fabulous

message 18: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments So ladies, how's release week been for you? Congrats, btw :)

message 19: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Annabelle wrote: "I'm good :) Just opened a bottle of Prosecco - cheers!"

I will join you with that in a little while--it's a bit too early over here on the east coast for me ;) I'm having tea, though, and thinking about how not posh I am because I love sugar in it. (a la, Not Just Friends)

message 20: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments So - thanks for coming to chat to us. We're here to celebrate our new releases.
If you don't know me, I'm Jay Northcote and am a UK author. My third book, Not Just Friends, came out this week :)
It's a story about uni students, and is a coming out story - well, sort of a discovery of sexuality and coming out story.

message 21: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Annabelle wrote: "So ladies, how's release week been for you? Congrats, btw :)"

message 22: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments *Waves* So hello! I'm Maggie, and I'm the author of Taking Flight. It's an established relationship story about communication, growing up, and moving to the next level in a relationship. It's my first published work, and I'm very pleased to be sharing it with you. I'll be happy to take any questions or share an exerpt, whatever you like.

message 23: by Jay (last edited Mar 01, 2014 11:12AM) (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments We have a few things planned for this evening/afternoon - we have extracts to share, some inspiration photos and a few possible topics for discussion. What would you like first?
I'm sure we can find some more good gifs too :D

message 24: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments Sugar in tea is controversial? I always assumed it was milk that divided people...interesting!

message 25: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Koozebane wrote: "Sugar in tea is controversial? I always assumed it was milk that divided people...interesting!"

Well, I have to bow to Jay as the authority in all things British. And apparently it's not very posh to take sugar in your tea. In coffee, it's acceptable. :)

message 26: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Koozebane wrote: "Sugar in tea is controversial? I always assumed it was milk that divided people...interesting!"

I guess both? where are you from?
In the UK there's a bit of a class divide in whether or not you have sugar in your tea. Milk and two sugars is classic tradesmen tea ;) Not that there's anything wrong with that of course. There's a lot of tea references in my stories! True Brit.

message 27: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Personally I like milk, but no sugar :)

message 28: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments Well, I was lucky enough to pre-read Not Just Friends :) But I would love an excerpt from Taking Flight, Maggie :)

message 29: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Jay wrote: "Koozebane wrote: "Sugar in tea is controversial? I always assumed it was milk that divided people...interesting!"

In the UK there's a bit of a class divide in wh..."

I really loved that aspect of Not Just Friends, all of those little details and the language that grounds your story in the setting.

message 30: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Con wrote: "Sugar in tea... *SHUDDER*

LOL. Sorry, Koozebane. I'm just kidding. ;)

Hello, Maggie and Jay!"

Hey Con,

Yeah, I totally agree. *surrepitiously sips sugared tea* Thanks for coming to chat!

message 31: by Koozebane (new)

Koozebane | 113 comments This Californian usually doesn't take either, to be honest (usually because I'm drinking tea with some dessert item and I need to counterbalance it). I remember reading about the milk controversy in one of those ancient Time Life Foods of the World books about England (though it came out that the research on some volumes was shoddy at best)...

message 32: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Stupid GR isn't letting me reply to threaded comments, so excuse me if some of my replies seem a bit random. It's trimming the threads so it's not clear who I'm replying to :(

message 33: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Con wrote: "Sugar in tea... *SHUDDER*

LOL. Sorry, Koozebane. I'm just kidding. ;)

Hello, Maggie and Jay!"

Hi bb *hugs you*
Thanks for dropping by!
I think I need wine, sod the tea :D

message 34: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments I have wine :) I recommend it wholeheartedly!

message 35: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Koozebane wrote: "This Californian usually doesn't take either, to be honest (usually because I'm drinking tea with some dessert item and I need to counterbalance it). I remember reading about the milk controversy i..."

I only have milk in 'normal' tea (I don't know what the rest of the world even call it! the brown stuff...) Of course there are lots of other types and I wouldn't have milk in anything herbal or fruity (yuck!). If I have Earl Grey I'd have that weak and black.
So many teas, so little time!

message 36: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Okay, Annabelle, here's an exerpt for you:

This is from near the beginning of the novella. Jake, Hunter's boyfriend, has just arrived home on leave from the army, and Hunter has picked him up at the airport. There's a bit of NSFW language. ;)

The sticky heat of the summer night made Hunter’s skin prickle and compounded the jittery feeling in his chest. Jake had been strange, too, during the last few months. It wasn’t like him to be so quiet.

“So, where do you want to go?” Hunter asked once they’d stowed Jake’s stuff in the trunk of his VW, and he’d fired up the engine. An onslaught of scorching air shot out at them from the vents before it began to cool.

Jake took Hunter’s face between his hands and answered the question with a kiss. Hunter responded with a startled grunt as Jake’s tongue stroked into his mouth and curled around his own. The kiss was hard and hungry, the kind that made him forget to breathe. A plane roared overhead, and Hunter gripped Jake’s shoulders to pull him closer. He’d already popped a boner at first contact, and it started to throb in tandem with his pulse as the kiss went on. Jake squeezed him like he wanted to check, and Hunter groaned. If Jake had decided to undo his fly and get his dick out in the middle of the public parking lot, Hunter might have let him. They’d have scared the shit out of that old couple from the airport, probably even cause a heart attack or two, and definitely get arrested. It would totally be worth it.

When they broke apart at last, Jake’s eyes were dark, and he was breathing hard. “Missed you so fucking much.”

“I missed you, too,” Hunter said, rubbing his chin where Jake’s stubble had scraped him. His heart felt heavy and just as raw.

message 37: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Oh Maggie, I love it :)
I really enjoyed the story, all that angsty pining. I had a long distance relationship when I was at uni and it really took me back to how hard it was being apart.

message 38: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Sorry I'm late! I bathed the dog which means I had to bathe myself afterward! ;)

message 39: by Mssdare (new)

Mssdare | 5 comments Hi :)

I just wanted to say that I love that the boys in "Not Just Friends" keep drinking tea :) It reminds me of my own students years so much! Tea-making was a very very important part of our social interactions back then!

message 40: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments Aww, that sounds fab :)

message 41: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments
ahhhhh :)

message 42: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Jay wrote: "Koozebane wrote: "Sugar in tea is controversial? I always assumed it was milk that divided people...interesting!"

In the UK there's a bit of a class divide in wh..."

What's it called when you drink your tea with milk and 3 or 4 sugars? Other than a hopeless sweet tooth…

message 43: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Juliana wrote: "Sorry I'm late! I bathed the dog which means I had to bathe myself afterward! ;)"

Thank you for coming! I hope you're both nice and clean and dry now ;)

message 44: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Jay wrote: "Oh Maggie, I love it :)
I really enjoyed the story, all that angsty pining. I had a long distance relationship when I was at uni and it really took me back to how hard it was being apart."

Thanks! Yes, I had one of those, too, and it's even harder when you're young and/or not very good at communicating your feelings, which is what I was trying to convey. :)

message 45: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Jacobs (annabellejacobs) | 41 comments I meant Maggie's book sounds fab, lol. Not tea drinking, although that is fab too, obv.

message 46: by Jules (new)

Jules Lovesbooks (juleslovesbooks) | 206 comments Maggie wrote: "Okay, Annabelle, here's an exerpt for you:

This is from near the beginning of the novella. Jake, Hunter's boyfriend, has just arrived home on leave from the army, and Hunter has picked him up at ..."

A nice welcome home!

message 47: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Mssdare wrote: "Hi :)

I just wanted to say that I love that the boys in "Not Just Friends" keep drinking tea :) It reminds me of my own students years so much! Tea-making was a very very important part of our soc..."

Same! We drank a lot of tea when we weren't drinking beer :D
and Hi, thanks for coming to chat

message 48: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Con wrote: "Such a wonderful reunion, Maggie.

I loved the part before that too, when they couldn't touch in public, even after so long apart. That really set the scene for me..."

Yeah, I'm from a liberal area, where no one would even bat an eye if two men hugged or kissed in public... but unfortunately this isn't the case in a lot of places in the US. Thanks!

message 49: by Jay (new)

Jay Northcote | 139 comments Annabelle wrote: "I meant Maggie's book sounds fab, lol. Not tea drinking, although that is fab too, obv."

LOL :D

message 50: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Kavanagh (Maggie_Kavanagh) | 52 comments Annabelle wrote: "I meant Maggie's book sounds fab, lol. Not tea drinking, although that is fab too, obv."

Ha ha, apparently. We're all about the tea today. Let me grab a shot of tequila . . . ;) Thanks!

« previous 1 3 4 5