Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Marketing No New Posts > My book isn't selling.

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2015 12:05AM) (new)

How do you guys increase sales? I tried free book giveaways on Amazon, Facebook ads, twitter ads, and blogging. So far I'm not making any sales. Could it be the genre (Horror) isn't a hot commodity? I Published the book over a year ago, and it hasn't sold anything worth mentioning. Any suggestions to increase sells will be deeply appreciated.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Silvey (msilveywrites) | 14 comments When you find out the secret, share it with me please.

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 13, 2015 11:29PM) (new)

Melissa wrote: "When you find out the secret, share it with me please." I sure will. (laughing)

message 4: by Gisela (last edited Aug 14, 2015 12:10AM) (new)

Gisela Hausmann | 47 comments @Melvin

Step 1) You need to create a more "outstanding" profile for yourself. As far as I could see you don't even have an author page. Here is the link.

https://authorcentral.amazon.com/

Also - add pictures of yourself. If your genre is horror, I sure hope you have some cool pics of you in Halloween costume(s).

Step 2) Your book needs more reviews (ball park number: at least six) I wrote a book about it which has been endorsed by 8 amazon hall of fame reviewers

Step 3) Once you and your book look "more outstanding", contact your local newspaper, a magazine, get on local TV.

Halloween is coming up. Pitch something like "5 perfect Halloween costumes for adults" etc...

Step 4) Pull a soundbite and put it into the editorial reviews. You do that at Amazon author central, too.

Step 5) If you live in a rural area and have no access to media, contact book bloggers, who blog about horror books.

Repeat step 3-5 a few times and the ball will get rolling.

It takes work (but you can promote your work for free)

Good luck!

message 5: by Dotti (new)

Dotti Enderle | 26 comments Change up the keywords. Be sure you're using some stings and not just individual words. Change the category and see what happens.

You also have to sell yourself. Make sure you're active on at least one social media platform so fans can find you.

And mostly, you need to put up your next book. Keep writing and publishing. The more books you have the more you're likely to get discovered.

message 6: by T.L. (new)

T.L. Clark (tlcauthor) | 727 comments Haha! Yeah, about sales; don't expect them in huge numbers.

I don't know any indie authors who have made enough to quit the day job yet. Write because you love it!

I've been going for two years, and have done the blog, social media, advertising thing. I still have low sales! But I write beause I want to. If people read and enjoy my work then that's great.

Check out my blog post for new authors, it may offer you some comfort seeing how some of the greats also struggled:
http://tlclarkauthor.blogspot.co.uk/2...

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken (kendoyle) | 364 comments I forget who said this (Elmore Leonard, maybe?): "It took me 10 years to become an overnight success." For some of us, it seems like 20 or 50 years!

The only consistent and reliable results I've had from marketing have been with paid advertising on recognized sites like E-Reader News Today, Fussy Librarian, Kindle Books & Tips, etc.

The catch with Amazon is that nothing succeeds like success. Once you start getting sales and reviews, your ranking improves and you start appearing on "Also Bought" lists. That's basically free advertising, but you have to get those sales first.

message 8: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) Hi Melvin. I moved this into the marketing and promotion folder. While there is no magic formula, there is some great advice from others if you browse this folder. Thanks!

message 9: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Cunegan (jdcunegan) | 239 comments Ken wrote: "I forget who said this (Elmore Leonard, maybe?): "It took me 10 years to become an overnight success." For some of us, it seems like 20 or 50 years!

The only consistent and reliable results I've h..."

Kindle Books & Tips has, thus far, been my biggest success promotion-wise. The day my book was listed on its mailing list, I sold 12 copies -- by far the most I've sold to this point in a single day.

I don't know how others have experienced this, but for me, Twitter-heavy promotions aren't really working. They're getting a lot of likes, retweets, and have been boosted by follower count, but near as I can tell, they have had no effect on my sales.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will certainly look into them to improve sales.

message 11: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Dwayne Fry | 4277 comments Mod
Melvin wrote: "Thanks everyone for the advice. I will certainly look into them to improve sales."

One thing to think about, too, is the meat and potatoes of your work. Take a look at your covers, your writing, your blurbs... most of the ideas others are giving are good and will draw some attention to you, but what about your work? Make sure your writing is solid and your covers are interesting.

message 12: by April (new)

April Wilson (aprilwilson) Melvin wrote: "Thanks everyone for the advice. I will certainly look into them to improve sales."

Melvin, is it your novel "Haven of Evil" that you're asking about? (If so, you have a nice cover, by the way.)

Did you hire a developmental editor to help you with your book? I would start there. All of the marketing suggestions provided here are great, but you want to start first with your novel. A developmental editor can help you with the structure, dialog, action, etc... in your book. That's where I would start. Also, you might want to consider working with a line editor.

April

message 13: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 266 comments if its your first book sales will be low. if its your only book depending on genre it might not move much. so write more books (not necessarily in the same series) and when folks see you're not merely a one hit wonder will purchase your remaining books. it took me 3 books to begin moving copies.
good luck and write on!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I will look into all the suggestions that were given. Again thanks everyone.

message 15: by Margaret (last edited Aug 15, 2015 12:09AM) (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 14 comments It's very difficult to be discovered by readers. I had one ad with ENT, which everyone says is excellent, but my title made only nine sales. I blog, I'm on FB and Twitter, and my books have been featured on book blogs, yet in a good month I might get six sales (over thirteen titles). As an earlier commentator observed, it can take decades to become an overnight success. Just keep on writing...

message 16: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

Margaret wrote: "It's very difficult to be discovered by readers... Just keep on writing."

This is possibly the best advice any of us can give or receive. Yes, it's good to think about our marketing strategies, making ourselves visible on social media, getting our writing tight, making our covers appealing... but, it also takes time to start getting discovered. I've been doing this a year and I am still far from quitting my day job. In fact, I probably spend more on coffee most months than I actually make in sales. But, keep going. Keep writing!

message 17: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 14 comments Dwayne wrote: "Margaret wrote: "It's very difficult to be discovered by readers... Just keep on writing."

This is possibly the best advice any of us can give or receive. Yes, it's good to think about our marketi..."

Absolutely :)

message 18: by Owen (new)

Owen O'Neill (owen_r_oneill) | 1509 comments Dwayne wrote: "Margaret wrote: "It's very difficult to be discovered by readers... Just keep on writing."

This is possibly the best advice any of us can give or receive."

Second the "Absolutely." We increase sales by offering more of the best work we can produce. Personally, I endorse the "conventional wisdom" that 4 or (or more) book to gain traction. Also, keep in mind that you are much better off having to your 4th, 5th, or 10th book take than your first.

The factor that effects sales more than all other factors is the gap between books. Releasing a book every 6 months boosts sales much more than once a year of more. Some contend that 3 books a year is ideal.

That doesn't mean rush books out there -- the worst thing an author can do. It means hold back a book until some follow-up is ready to exploit and accelerate whatever success the previous book has.

The formula: [write] publish => market [write] publish => market [write] publish => market does not work very well. The formula: [write] [write] [write] publish => publish => publish => market stands a much better chance of success.

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Sharp (margaretlynettesharp) | 14 comments Owen wrote: "Dwayne wrote: "Margaret wrote: "It's very difficult to be discovered by readers... Just keep on writing."

This is possibly the best advice any of us can give or receive."

Second the "Absolutely."..."

I often hear about new authors trying hard to gain a readership for their first and only title - even advertising to give it away free. But there's far less to be gained if nothing's there as an immediate follow-up.

message 20: by Jolie (new)

Jolie Mason | 41 comments Melvin wrote: "How do you guys increase sales? I tried free book giveaways on Amazon, Facebook ads, twitter ads, and blogging. So far I'm not making any sales. Could it be the genre (Horror) isn't a hot commodity..."

I will begin by saying I'm no expert having only been doing it three months, but the most successful method I've found is to find my audience. I write scifi and scifi romance. Using social media to find those people who are most likely to share that interest is key. Talk on forums. Join groups. Be social. It's free and you'll be surprised how many sales it can generate.

message 21: by Dwayne, Head of Lettuce (new)

James wrote: "Hi, please check out..."

Please post any services you offer in the proper folders.