Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > GR ratings/reviews not showing?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments I'm so confused. At some point in the last couple of hours, my book shows a new review and (2) 1-star ratings. I haven't had anything less than a 3-star rating, and that was only one, so this seemed a little odd that I would get 2 within a couple of hours.
Anyway, I can't find them. When I click on the button that says reviews, then click on the one that says "2-stars (2)", it comes back with no matches. I am also only showing the 3 text reviews that I already had, even though it says four now.
What does this mean? I am so confused. Did someone flag them, maybe? Or did the poster delete it, but it still shows me that it was done? I reviewer can't hide their reviews from me, can they?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

message 2: by Grey (last edited Aug 13, 2015 09:06PM) (new)

Grey Liliy (greyliliy) | 19 comments Sometimes the site caching takes a little while to catch up, so updates to thinks like Listopia, Reviews, or Comments can take some time to show on the Book Page- even though you know it's there, or it's showing it on Author Central.

If that's not it, I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up - unless of course Goodreads has a privacy setting where you can hide reviews?

message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) They take time, however, if they aren't there in a couple of days, they were likely flagged. Flagging a review doesn't necessarily mean it comes down, but it will be hidden from anyone who isn't friends with the reviewer.

I have one two star review that I've never been able to see, but someone who is friends with the reviewer linked directly to it and I could see it.

message 4: by Grey (new)

Grey Liliy (greyliliy) | 19 comments Christina wrote: "They take time, however, if they aren't there in a couple of days, they were likely flagged. Flagging a review doesn't necessarily mean it comes down, but it will be hidden from anyone who isn't f..."

Oh! Did not know that. That's a neat little feature, honestly. The review is still up for your personal records and friends, but down for everyone else. Interesting way to block things.

message 5: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Interesting. Thanks for the info!

message 6: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Brettell | 36 comments By "everyone else" do you mean the general public? That stinks. If it's bad enough to be flagged, it should be taken down so NO one can see it.

message 7: by Christina (last edited Aug 13, 2015 09:18PM) (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I think that it is hidden when it is flagged. Goodreads then makes the final determination as to whether or not to allow it to stand. I don't think they keep them private. Though I could be wrong.

message 8: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Can you guys look and see if you see 3 reviews or 4, please?https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 9: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Brettell | 36 comments Hi Wendi,

It says there are 4 reviews, but only shows 3. If the fourth was posted today, it may take a while for it to show up. What makes you think it was a one star? Your total star ranking is four plus, and the other three reviews are 3, 4, and 5 stars. Seems like the fourth review would be a high star ranking too.

message 10: by Christina (new)

Christina McMullen (cmcmullen) I see three reviews and yes, it says there are four. Just wait a couple days. Rhe rankings should pop up as well.

message 11: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Kathi wrote: "Hi Wendi,

It says there are 4 reviews, but only shows 3. If the fourth was posted today, it may take a while for it to show up. What makes you think it was a one star? Your total star ranking i..."

Because under the star ratings, it says there are 2. I dont know if the text review is one of them or not.

message 12: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Brettell | 36 comments Actually, under your star rating it says 20. You have 3 text and star reviews showing, and 4 star only reviews (no text) showing, and probably the other 13 are under the "see more reviews" tab.

message 13: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments Yeah, but if you click on "rating details" it says there are two 1 star and when I click on that, it says no matches found.
I know I shouldn't obsess over this, but out just bugs me that someone would rate it a 1 star, then hide it. I have so many great readers that have rated it high that it didn't really affect my overall rating, but it's just bugging me.
Paranoia will destroy ya. Lol

message 14: by Kathi (new)

Kathi Brettell | 36 comments Lol. Wine helps. :)

message 15: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments I tried everything. I clicked on every possible button, lol.

message 16: by B.K. (new)

B.K. Crawford (bkcrawford) | 3 comments I just recently found a review that was written last December (for one of my books). I don't like the review. It's flippy-floppy. Started out with "Well done!" and ended with "Not the best book I ever read." *Note: Since I didn't write the Kama Sutra, it's not the best book I ever read either.* So there, and neener, neener. Anyway, my point is...I didn't know about that review for eight BLISSFUL months. I know a lot of professional writers who purposefully never, ever look at reviews. No matter what you do, you can't please every reader. Go forth, pen in hand, and conquer your pages, write the best story you can write and then start writing another. God grant me the serenity...

message 17: by Wendi (new)

Wendi Wilson | 81 comments It's fixed. I found another thread that taught me how to refresh the stats, and the 2 1-star reviews disappeared. The review is there now too!

I'm way too concerened with the reviews, I know. But I've always been a people pleaser. Lol