Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Memory Painter
This topic is about The Memory Painter
Previous BOMs - Authors; U - Z > The Memory Painter, by Gwendolyn Womack (Adult Sci-Fi Fantasy BOM) ; Start Date September 2, 2015

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss The Memory Painter, by Gwendolyn Womack. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:
Two lovers who have traveled across time. A team of scientists at the cutting edge of memory research. A miracle drug that unlocks an ancient mystery.

Bryan Pierce is an internationally famous artist whose paintings have dazzled the world. But there's a secret to his success: Every canvas is inspired by an unusually vivid dream. When Bryan awakes, he possesses extraordinary new skills...like the ability to speak obscure languages and an inexplicable genius for chess. All his life, he has wondered if his dreams are recollections, if he is re-experiencing other people's lives.

Linz Jacobs is a brilliant neurogeneticist, absorbed in decoding the genes that help the brain make memories, until she is confronted with an exact rendering of a recurring nightmare at one of Bryan's shows. She tracks down the elusive artist, and their meeting triggers Bryan's most powerful dream yet: visions of a team of scientists who, on the verge of discovering a cure for Alzheimer's, died in a lab explosion decades ago.

As Bryan becomes obsessed with the mysterious circumstances surrounding the scientists' deaths, his dreams begin to reveal what happened at the lab, as well as a deeper mystery that may lead all the way to ancient Egypt. Together, Bryan and Linz start to discern a pattern. But a deadly enemy watches their every move, and he will stop at nothing to ensure that the past stays buried.

A taut thriller and a timeless love story spanning six continents and 10,000 years of history, The Memory Painter by Gwendolyn Womack is a riveting debut novel unlike any you've ever read.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 06, 2015 12:51AM) (new) - added it

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs

Sept 2 1-11 1-64 Imke
Sept 3&4 12-30 65-192 Erin
Sept 5&6 31-47 193-end Shellah

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and I volunteer to write a set of discussion questions.

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Thanks Imke!

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 1052 comments Got it today, can't wait!

Erin | 612 comments I just picked up my copy! I haven't been able to do any of the BOMs for a while, so I"m excited to get back into it- if you don't get enough volunteers, I can do a set of DQs

Zonnah | 457 comments Erin wrote: "I just picked up my copy! I haven't been able to do any of the BOMs for a while, so I"m excited to get back into it- if you don't get enough volunteers, I can do a set of DQs"
Same here Erin, it has been awhile for me too. I got my copy and am ready.

message 9: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Thanks Erin!

Imke and Erin, I have added you to the schedule above. Please let us know if those days don't work. Thanks!

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14459 comments Mod
I have mine from the library now too, but I may be a day late in starting

message 11: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Works for me

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments that works for me- but I work all day Thursday, so probably won't be able to post my questions until Friday morning, if that's ok

message 13: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Erin wrote: "that works for me- but I work all day Thursday, so probably won't be able to post my questions until Friday morning, if that's ok"

No problems :)

message 14: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

1. Have you read the synopsis or watched the book trailer? What attracted you to join this book of the month discussion? What do you expect this book is going to be like?

2. The part of the book we have read today is a good introduction to Bryan and Linz and what they are going through every day. What do you make of them? Do you like them?

3. I wonder what is going on with Bryan, why does he paint. Is he in a trance while he paints and are the visions he sees actual memories of previous lives?

4. There definitely is a connection between Bryan and the scientists from 1982, do you think the drug Michael took is the cause of what is happening to Bryan or are they somehow related? I think we will also find a connection between Linz and one of the scientists, her interest in neurology and research of memory. What do you think?

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far. I found some pictures for you from Alexander Pushkin
description, his wife Natalia
description and the man who shot him George D’Anthès
description.
Have you read any of Pushkin’s poems?

6. There also seems to be a strong Egyptian storyline, Bryan and Linz both visit the Great Pyramid exhibit, Linz’s tattoo which looks like a warrior armband at the exhibit and during the memory dream of Alexander the vision of an ethereal woman who Bryan thinks resembles the goddess Isis. What do you think, will the final solution of what is going on between Bryan and Linz and their visions of previous lives be found in Egypt?

7. What do you think of the style of this book? I like it a lot so far although the flashbacks could be a little less and I hope Bryan and Linz will really start to work together soon.

Zonnah | 457 comments Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

1. Have you read the synopsis or watched the book trailer? What attracted you to join this book of the month discussion? What do you expect this book is going to be like?

I read the synopsis and thought it sounded interesting. I have not watched the trailer. I have a break in my school work so decided to join this reading since I have some time. I think this book will be an easy but interesting read.

2. The part of the book we have read today is a good introduction to Bryan and Linz and what they are going through every day. What do you make of them? Do you like them?

Linz is interesting. I like that she is a loner, I can relate to that. She is smart.
My first impression of Bryan was that he sounded like the painter from the TV show Heros but instead of painting the future he paints the past. I don't feel like I know much about him yet. Most of what we know revolves around his problem and those he has become like. I wonder what kind of person he would be if he was normal?

3. I wonder what is going on with Bryan, why does he paint. Is he in a trance while he paints and are the visions he sees actual memories of previous lives?

The last chapter we read so far made me think that his dreams are related to the drug. I think painting might just be a way to let it out and yes I do believe he is in a trance if he can't remember doing it. So far it seems like they are actual memories of previous lives.

4. There definitely is a connection between Bryan and the scientists from 1982, do you think the drug Michael took is the cause of what is happening to Bryan or are they somehow related? I think we will also find a connection between Linz and one of the scientists, her interest in neurology and research of memory. What do you think?

Yes, I do think it relates but I am still fuzzy on the exact method. My first thought is did Bryan's dad get ahold of the medication and give it to his son? If so then the drug causes it. But then that leads to the question of how did Linz get ahold of the pills.

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far.

I actually did not know these were real people and I am very intrigued now and no I have not read his poetry.

6. There also seems to be a strong Egyptian storyline, Bryan and Linz both visit the Great Pyramid exhibit, Linz’s tattoo which looks like a warrior armband at the exhibit and during the memory dream of Alexander the vision of an ethereal woman who Bryan thinks resembles the goddess Isis. What do you think, will the final solution of what is going on between Bryan and Linz and their visions of previous lives be found in Egypt?

This is a good point and it makes me wonder if something more than a drug is causing what is going on.

7. What do you think of the style of this book? I like it a lot so far although the flashbacks could be a little less and I hope Bryan and Linz will really start to work together soon.

I am liking it as well. I was surprised by the amount of flashbacks as well. Typically writers wait till further in the book to start revealing them. But honestly, I don't mind.

Eight 1. Have you read the synopsis or watched the book trailer? What attracted you to join this book of the month discussion? What do you expect this book is going to be like?

I have this book for some time. This book was waiting in line to read. I like fantasy novels, especially those that take place in the real world. I also like stories about time travel. Since it is in the NBRC I decided to reach for 'The Memory Painter' before.

I like them. On the one site we hand the genius genetic scietnist, on the other talented painter. They share a dream and mystery.

Dreams, visions must be true. In the end, these are people who actually existed.
I think he paints because it is his talent and this is his way to release a burden that make his 'attack'. If he were otherwise talented he could write, play on a musical instrument, or created sculptures.

I do not know what to think about it. I don't have savvy opinion. But tthere are probably their incarnation? No, that can't be.

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far. I found some pictures for you from Alexander Pushkin, his wife Natalia description and the man who shot him George D’Anthès
description. Have you read any of Pushkin’s poems?

I know Pushkin. I have not read poetry (I think that poetry should be read in the original language, otherwise it loses its meaning). Pushkin also wrote prose and within "reach for the classics" once I read: The Queen of Spades, The Captain's Daughter or something else.

Because on the cover there are pyramids (the other cover) in 100% Egypt will be of great importance.

This is only 20% and the action moving pretty quickly. Chapters are not long, the I like the style. I like flashbacks from the past.

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

1.Have you read the synopsis or watched the book trailer? What attracted you to join this book of the month discussion? What do you expect this book is going to be like?

I really didn't know much about this book- I decided to join the discussion because it seemed interesting and I haven't done a discussion in a while. For some reason I thought the was going to be actual time travel, like Time Machine. I'm glad I was wrong about that.

2.The part of the book we have read today is a good introduction to Bryan and Linz and what they are going through every day. What do you make of them? Do you like them?
I really like Linz- I like that she's focused and doesn't make any apologies for being driven and intelligent. I feel like we're still getting to know Bryan, but I feel for him- it seems like his whole life is impacted by his "dreams". I hope hes able to find a way to cope with them.

3.I wonder what is going on with Bryan, why does he paint. Is he in a trance while he paints and are the visions he sees actual memories of previous lives?
It really seems like they are visions from previous lives. Or maybe his consciousness is traveling back and sharing memories with the people. I don't know...

4.There definitely is a connection between Bryan and the scientists from 1982, do you think the drug Michael took is the cause of what is happening to Bryan or are they somehow related? I think we will also find a connection between Linz and one of the scientists, her interest in neurology and research of memory. What do you think?
There's definitely some connection with the scientists- maybe Linz will wind up bing Conrad's daughter? Or a daughter of one of the other scientists?

5.The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far.

I haven't ever read Pushkin- I like that they are using real historical figures. Learning a little about their life make me want to go learn more about them!

6.There also seems to be a strong Egyptian storyline, Bryan and Linz both visit the Great Pyramid exhibit, Linz’s tattoo which looks like a warrior armband at the exhibit and during the memory dream of Alexander the vision of an ethereal woman who Bryan thinks resembles the goddess Isis. What do you think, will the final solution of what is going on between Bryan and Linz and their visions of previous lives be found in Egypt?
Maybe the key to figuring out what's happening will be found in Egyptian mythology.

7.What do you think of the style of this book? I like it a lot so far although the flashbacks could be a little less and I hope Bryan and Linz will really start to work together soon.
I'm really liking it- I love the flashbacks and learning bits and pieces about the different people Bryan's visited. It's structured a little like the puzzles Linz likes so much- you only get part of the picture and have to put together the different stories to figure out what's happening.

message 18: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) | 1052 comments Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

I read the synopsis and as have been into scifi books and time travel lately, I thought I would pick it up. I also liked that it got chosen in the nbrc group, a good reason to read it sooner. It's also a lot of fun to read in the nbrc group and I haven't joined since Station Eleven

I found both characters interesting as I can relate to both of them, I like to paint in my spare time and I am intrigued by Linz. Her solving puzzles and having a zen garden and playing chess as well as being a scientist.. By the way I had to laugh out loud when I found that her name was really Linz, it's a city in Austria. I am prone to forget names easily but I will definitely remember this one.

I think he is in trance, maybe he can only endure what he sees by getting it out of his system, by painting what happened otherwise he might break down, I am intrigued that he paints so many different scenes, has seen so many different lives.

I am really looking forward to finding out more about the drug and how everyone and everything is connected.

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far. I found some pictures for you from Alexander Pushkin

I have known that he has memories of real persons, no I haven't read anything by Pushkin but I will afterwards.

My cover has a few hieroglyphs but I didn't make a direct connection to the storyline. I haven't thought that far, I enjoy to drift along the storyline,

I was worried that it would be too slow for me with the flashbacks but I like to hear the stories too so far.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

I hadn’t heard of this book and had no idea what it would be about. But I usually like any sci-fi or fantasy as long as it's not horror or witches. I put the book on hold at the library and decided that if it was available when the group read started, I’d join in.

Bryan reminds me of Isaac the painter on the t.v. show Heroes. He is intriguing. I don’t like Linz as much, but she’s okay. I’ve been having bad luck with audiobooks holding my interest lately, but this one kept me listening, so I’m looking forward to seeing where this tale goes.

Now that I think about it, I think the painter on Heroes painted the future, whereas Bryan here paints the past. (I see now that Shellah mentioned this up above as well.) So that is interesting. It’s kind of depressing that it’s always about someone dying, though. Since the book is called The Memory Painter, I think he is seeing memories of past lives.

I’m wondering if someone exposed Bryan and Linz to that drug when they were kids…? I don’t know why this is happening to just the two of them. And why did Linz only have one dream/memory over and over while Bryan had a lot of different dreams? I have no guesses yet.

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far. I found some pictures for you from Alexander Pushkin, his wife Natalia and the man who shot him George D’Anthès. Have you read any of Pushkin’s poems?
I have not read any of Pushkin’s poems. I recognized the last name but didn’t really know who he was. It’s cool that Bryan’s dream was of an actual person in history that he can look up in a book or online and compare the historical record with the details from his dream. I like the way the author recounts the events as well – it’s like history coming to life. Thanks for finding these pictures! It’s interesting to see what Russians considered beauty back then.

I’m hoping Bryan remembers how the Egyptians built their pyramids! Obviously they had some things going on that we don’t know about, so who knows what they really knew. So since Linz was wondering about it, I hope to get an answer there.

The Michael flashback felt out of place, like it interrupted the flow of the story, but hopefully I’ll get used to it as I know we’ll probably get more clues as to what’s really going on by learning more about what Michael was doing. But I am most intrigued about Bryan’s interactions with Linz.

Derek | 16 comments Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

I have read the synopsis, but haven't watched the book trailer. I've never done a reading challenge and wanted to challenge myself to read an entire book over the period of four personally busy days.

I am having a love/hate relationship with Bryan and Linz. Bryan seems to be a very distant individual, and is irritatingly cautious and guarded. Linz seems to be a bit full of herself (which I can't even stand in real life).

I wouldn't say he's in a trance. If anything, I think he really is experiencing visions - even a deja vu or brief reincarnations. Trances suggest a semblance of reality; with visions, one is completely disconnected from reality.

Derek | 16 comments 5. Have you read any of Pushkin’s poems?

I've just read a few of his poems - I must say "The Tenth Commandment" is a very telling poem (pining for some lover?), and "The Wish" is a great poem.

I think that is only a natural and logical outcome to these two characters. I think they'll both find that they were either married, betrothed, or perhaps two lovers who were simply pining for each other at the worst possible time.

I'm going to disagree - I actually like books that switch between time periods and different characters. It adds to the mystery of the plot line and keeps me reading further. Trying to puzzle how everything is related adds to my personal enjoyment of the novel.

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion Questions 2nd September 2015, Chapters 1-11

That very bright YELLOW cover actually caught my eye at the library in the "new release" section. And then it happened to be the winner for the BOM so it seemed like a good reason to pick it up! I actually didn't know much more about it :o

yes what a good start to the book. I was surprised with the quick flashbacks to the 80s ; intriguing how it will all come together. I'm not sure that Byran is Michael, but I guess we shall find out

This reminds me of that TV show Heroes where one of them painted the future. I guess he has some talent from one of his memories and this is a way to let the "episodes" escape

There are certainly connections although I'm unsure at this point what they are. Hopefully nothing weird like testing the drugs on babies that happened to be Byran and Linz :(

5. The historical events we get through Bryan have all happened, this is what I like most so far.
Thanks for the photos! No I haven't. I find these bits interesting too

True. I guess the Egyptians were great believers in the afterlife so it makes sense to have some connection

I like it too, but I agree that I would like some more chunks of story with time periods. I am ok with flashbacks, but too many can detract from the book

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

@Shellah & Talia

-Love that we all thought of Heroes! :o

---------------

@Shellah

#3 I always thought he was in a trance too, but when he paints Diana in the last bit of this section he was 'normal'. very intriguing

-----------

@Christine
#2 - oh thanks! I wondered about the origin of the name :)

--------

@Derek
#2 I only took Bryan's cautious/guarded approach one that he has been forced into because of his "condition". I wonder if he wasn't plagued by this if he would still be like that

Zonnah | 457 comments Karen wrote: "#3 I always thought he was in a trance too, but when he paints Diana in the last bit of this section he was 'normal'. very intriguing"

Good point. Maybe he does both. :)

message 25: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments Discussion Questions 3rd/4th September 2015, Chapters 12-30

8. We've seen a bunch of "past lives" now-do you have a favorite? Is there one version of the couple you find most compelling, the most tragic?

9. Do you think we're ever going to see a "past life" that doesn't end in tragedy? Or are they doomed to repeat the same cycle?

10. Is anyone else really interested to hear Linz past experiences? She usually seems to outlive Bryan, so she could bring so much more insight into their story. Do you think we'll get to see what she experienced?

11. Are you surprised at who Bryan's mom wound up being? Do you think this will change their relationship?

12. Now that he knows who Linz dad is, Bryan think Connor is a danger to both Bryan and Linz. Do you agree? Do you think Connor would still target Linz, even though in this life she's his daughter?

13. Knowing all the side effects, would you take Renovo if you had the option? Obviously there are a lot of downsides, but you would also be a master of languages/art/music and on and on. Do you think it would be worth it?

-sorry it took me so long to get this up. life got in the way. my apologies.

Zonnah | 457 comments Discussion Questions 3rd/4th September 2015, Chapters 12-30

8. We've seen a bunch of "past lives" now-do you have a favorite? Is there one version of the couple you find most compelling, the most tragic?

Not really. To be honest, I skimmed them.

9. Do you think we're ever going to see a "past life" that doesn't end in tragedy? Or are they doomed to repeat the same cycle?

I am thinking they will be all tragedy until the Egyptian princess shows more.

10. Is anyone else really interested to hear Linz past experiences? She usually seems to outlive Bryan, so she could bring so much more insight into their story. Do you think we'll get to see what she experienced?

I do want to read her experiences, I also, really want to know what Connor sees.

11. Are you surprised at who Bryan's mom wound up being? Do you think this will change their relationship?

Not surprised, but I think it would be really awkward to have feelings for your mother...

12. Now that he knows who Linz dad is, Bryan think Connor is a danger to both Bryan and Linz. Do you agree? Do you think Connor would still target Linz, even though in this life she's his daughter?

Yes, I do think he is dangerous. I would hope he would not hurt his own daughter, though.

13. Knowing all the side effects, would you take Renovo if you had the option? Obviously there are a lot of downsides, but you would also be a master of languages/art/music and on and on. Do you think it would be worth it?

Nope, I would not want to be plagued with such bad memories.

Zonnah | 457 comments Erin wrote: "sorry it took me so long to get this up. life got in the way. my apologies."

No worries, I appreciate you posting them no matter when they come.

message 28: by Eight (last edited Sep 04, 2015 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Eight 8. We've seen a bunch of "past lives" now-do you have a favorite? Is there one version of the couple you find most compelling, the most tragic?

For such a short book, it's too much "past lives" story. Too much about Viking, too little about Pushkin.

"Past life" no but I hope that Linz and Bryan's lives will end good.

My theory is that: Bryan's brain is open because Michael had swallowed a lot of pills. And Liz is not as open as Braysn's beacuse Diana don't take to many pills.

Yes, but it's strange how he remember who was who in his previous life. And that all souls are so close to each other.

I think like Shellah. I think that he will not want to harm her daughter, but can do so by accident, trying to hurt Bryan.

Definitely yes. Especially for foreign languages. I do not exaggerate, 3-4 lifse to me would be enough.

description

message 29: by Imke (new) - rated it 4 stars

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Discussion Questions 3rd/4th September 2015, Chapters 12-30

My favorite is the viking past and the way Bryan keeps looking for his son in his current life.

I think all of his past lives have some sort of tragedy and he dies at quite a young age in each lifetime. I hope the story will have a happy end for both Bryan and Linz and they will stay together.

Actually I am interested, not as much for the story, but that she is also able to see her past life and to find that she and Bryan have always been together.

I was very surprised, but also happy. This means she and Bryan might be able to fix their relationship.

I think he will target only Bryan, His and Bryan's past lifes only seem to have problems.

I wouldn't take it. To many bad side effects.

message 30: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion Questions 3rd/4th September 2015, Chapters 12-30

I think the Japanese one is the most compelling because of the tragedy involved. I do struggle with the idea that he has been all these very famous people. Wouldn't it be more likely that he would just be a "normal" person in these times?

Looks like they all end badly! I'm hoping this one will end better... or not end yet anyway

Good point. I don't think we will see much more of her past except maybe she will remember being burnt alive (how awful)

Yes this was surprising, and I guess similar to my earlier comment I find it strange that everyone has a strong connection

I'd like to think he wouldn't. I'm not sure what he believes actually

No, I think it is way too torturing to the mind. I think it is also more important to live this life well rather than focussing on the past

Derek | 16 comments 8. We've seen a bunch of "past lives" now-do you have a favorite? Is there one version of the couple you find most compelling, the most tragic?
I found myself drawn to the Norse past life. I've always been fascinated by that area up north, the Vikings and their lifestyle, plus the Canadian landscape in general. It's on my bucket list to visit.

I've found the author does a stellar job of portraying the emotions felt at the loss of a son as well as a wife he obviously felt very much in love with.

I think both Linz and Bryan will find a way to end this cycle, but it's going to take Linz fully accepting who Bryan is and what is happening in their present life.

I'm still very annoyed by Linz. I can't exactly pinpoint why, but she seems to be the one character who isn't accepting of her experiences. Why would she want to forget these? Or DOES she want to forget these?

Surprised, but pleasantly surprised. It does represent a turning point in their relationship, and (spoiler?) it looks to be his relationship with Linz as well.

Once Connor fully realizes who he is (if he hasn't already done so). I think we have yet to see the conflict completely show itself, and I think Connor will be a large part of that unveiling. I also think that unless Linz totally immerses herself in what is happening, the cycle is doomed to repeat itself.

It's one of those double-edged swords - can it heal you, possibly add more years on to your life? Yes. BUT...could it heal you, possibly add more years on to your life? No. Side effects are always guaranteed, and where one person may view the sudden acquisition of a new skill or ability as beneficial, another person may only be burdened by them. Adding years on to a life, then, may be a curse.

Karen D | 785 comments 8. We've seen a bunch of "past lives" now-do you have a favorite? Is there one version of the couple you find most compelling, the most tragic?
I also enjoyed the Viking past life, it was so haunting to see how his decision to stay in Greenland directly impacted their future.

Well..since they're all past lives, they must end right? As for in tragedy, yes, it seems like that is the theme this book is really gunning for. I don't think they will be doomed to repeat the cycle, since now Bryan (and hopefully soon Linz) will have enough understanding of the trajectory through time to change how it continues to go

With Diana, her memories came much more slowly than Michael's did, so I imagine Linz will be the same way. She'll get some more, but not nearly as many.

It seems that it already has changed their relationship. But in a way that's also reflective of just growing up. Having kids at all (even in a past life) makes you better appreciate what your own parents went through.

I did notice an inconsistency in this, however. Bryan recognizes his mother (in the current time) as Constantijn, his father when he was a clockmaker, and comments that this was the first time he recognized a soul crossing genders. But in a description of his earlier life, he mentions the woman who discovered his painting talent when he was in Europe, he recognized her as Philip the Good, a patron in one of his past lives. So the mother could not have been the first soul to exist in two genders.

This is interesting, because this will be the first time (that we know of) that someone has been reincarnated into an ongoing story. Connor is one life 'behind' Linz and Bryan, still existing in a life they died in. So I don't think it will necessarily play out like the others, since he'll have a bit more awareness of the cycle they're in. Also, I think we can assume that Connor would have the same ability to recognize past lives in others, so he should know already who Linz is.

Definitely not me. But maybe it shouldn't have been abandoned if it actually cured Alzheimers?

message 33: by Zonnah (last edited Sep 05, 2015 09:30AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Zonnah | 457 comments Karen wrote: "I did notice an inconsistency in this, however. Bryan recognizes his mother (in the current time) as Constantijn, his father when he was a clockmaker, and comments that this was the first time he recognized a soul crossing genders. But in a description of his earlier life, he mentions the woman who discovered his painting talent when he was in Europe, he recognized her as Philip the Good, a patron in one of his past lives. So the mother could not have been the first soul to exist in two genders. "

Good catch, you found a plot hole. Don't tell the author or she will be kicking herself through all her next lives. ;)

Zonnah | 457 comments I noticed no one had volunteered for the last round of questions. I will be camping this weekend and will be back Monday evening. If no one has put up questions by then, I would be willing to do so if everyone does not mind waiting till the seventh for them.

message 35: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks Shellah, that would be great. I was about to ask if anyone wanted to volunteer :)
I'm a bit behind in the book and it is Father's Day here so I won't get much reading done, so I'd appreciate it as otherwise I'd be even later!

Derek | 16 comments Just finished the book. What a whirlwind after chapter 30! Am hoping there is a sequel in the works.

Zonnah | 457 comments Discussion Questions 5th/6th September 2015, Chapters 31-47

1. How would you handle it if you remembered a close loved one as someone else; "what if you suddenly remembered her as your wife? Your sister? Your husband? Your killer?"

2. We were told how Bryan started remembering past lives because Michael died under the drug. I can't remember why Linz started remembering. Were we told?

3. If you were in Linz position would you have taken Renovo to remember? Why or why not?

4. Seth said, "Society is voracious, Father. It will always search for a way to destroy anything that exists outside of it." What is your opinion? Do you agree? Why or why not?

5. Did you predict who everyone was or was it a surprise?

6. When we first read the scene where Diana and Michael died in the explosion did anyone guess it was Finn who did it?

7. When Conrad said, "I built Medicor...for the Guardian to return...people will try to stop you." Who do you think will want to stop them? Just Finn, or do you think there are others out there?

8. On the author's Goodreads page, she says this about a sequel, "There might be a sequel. When I originally wrote the story I did not have one in mind. But as time goes by I keep getting more ideas and inspiration for a sequel that might tip the scales to a yes. Right now I’m actually working on another story entirely, so we’ll see." If she does write the sequel, what do you think will happen? Any guesses?

9. What did you rate the book?

10. Will you read her next book whether it is the sequel or not?

message 38: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Discussion Questions 5th/6th September 2015, Chapters 31-47

1. How would you handle it if you remembered a close loved one as someone else; "what if you suddenly remembered her as your wife? Your sister? Your husband? Your killer?"
I don't think you could see them in the same way anymore. This is a tough burden to have especially if the other person doesn't remember the same

2. We were told how Bryan started remembering past lives because Michael died under the drug. I can't remember why Linz started remembering. Were we told?
I think they said that because she had been on it for some time the lingering effects were just that one dream - quite traumatic event I guess. Whereas Michael had taken much larger doses for much longer and died using it which is why it was stronger for Byran

3. If you were in Linz position would you have taken Renovo to remember? Why or why not?
I'd like to say no, but I think she was already 'half pregnant' and thats not a good place ;)

4. Seth said, "Society is voracious, Father. It will always search for a way to destroy anything that exists outside of it." What is your opinion? Do you agree? Why or why not?

I had suspicions that not everything was as it seemed, but it was still a surprise

6. When we first read the scene where Diana and Michael died in the explosion did anyone guess it was Finn who did it?
No, it was written to try and make it seem that Conrad was mad

7. When Conrad said, "I built Medicor...for the Guardian to return...people will try to stop you." Who do you think will want to stop them? Just Finn, or do you think there are others out there?
Hmmm. This was never really explained was it? Maybe there is a sequel in the works

8. On the author's Goodreads page, she says this about a sequel, "There might be a sequel. When I originally wrote the story I did not have one in mind. But as time goes by I keep getting more ideas and inspiration for a sequel that might tip the scales to a yes. Right now I’m actually working on another story entirely, so we’ll see." If she does write the sequel, what do you think will happen? Any guesses?
Oh I guess that answers above! haha. I think this book would benefit from a sequel as too much was not really tied up properly.

3 stars. It was ok, but I felt that The reader is required to take a complete leap of reality for this book, which I found as we got closer to the end was more and more difficult.
It starts out well and is quite intriguing, but I found the explanations for what was happening a bit silly and I didn't engage well with the characters.
Not a bad book, just not a great one.

Probably not unless it is a synopsis that really grabs me or is another group read ;)

Zonnah | 457 comments Karen wrote: "It starts out well and is quite intriguing, but I found the explanations for what was happening a bit silly and I didn't engage well with the characters."

That is exactly how I felt about the book as well. It felt like the main goal was to have a soul mate love story without actually figuring out the logic behind it.

The fact that this was originally all we were going to get it made me feel like she did not think the whole thing through and to me, when you write something that is not reality, you need to do more world building.

message 40: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yes I'm with you Shellah - it was the world building that was lacking. Or tone down the unrealistic element and make it more about soul mates.
I guess not a bad effort for a debut book (certainly better than anything I could do! haha)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh that duplicitous Finn, he had me totally fooled! And I agree with Shellah - if the author never planned to write a sequel, what's up with all the loose endings? The conclusion should have wrapped everything up, but I was turning the page looking for the next chapter. So that was a bit unsatisfying.

Lisa  Moore okay so I just picked up my copy. I will get to this as quickly as I can to discuss with everyone.

Lisa  Moore 1. Have you read the synopsis or watched the book trailer? What attracted you to join this book of the month discussion? What do you expect this book is going to be like?
I have read the book synopsis and was drawn to this book. What drew me in was the concept of two lovers that have been time traveling, but yet haven't realized it. Also I had just got done reading a book in regards to dementia, and really liked how the book betrayed the disorder, so I am hoping that this will do the same. I think the book is going to be a love story between Bryan and Linz, but also a history lesson for readers as well. I like the multiple story lines that have been going on.

I think Bryan is a very tormented man, having to go through this painful process of enduring past lives and emotions and then having to live with that in a day to day life. He has to be so cautious of where he is when a "episode" happens and I think he hates having this ability to take on past lives and experience. Linz seems to be going through her own personal emotions with losing her mom at such a young age. I think that has caused her to be introvert and just not want to really get close to someone, but yet seems to like the idea of someone wanting her in a romantic way. She seemed turned on by the idea that Bryan (before she knew his name) could have followed her on purpose to the park. So far I like what both characters have shown, I hope that both characters develop deeper qualities throughout the book.

I think he paints because that is the only way he can tell people about these lives that he encounters through his "visions". If he just all of a sudden describe in detail these lives in a very descriptive manor I am sure people would either think he is lying, or is crazy, maybe both. So far they seem like actual real people and events, I really hope they are instead of fictional history.

Reading that part made me think well maybe he was a child of one of the scientists and somehow he took on the drug when he was in the womb, but then that got debunked. I am sure there is a connection with Bryan, Linz and the scientists, but at this moment I am unsure as what it is or any other guesses.

description, his wife Natalia
description and the man who shot him George D’Anthès
description.
The history is one of my favorites too. I like when a author adds authentic history in a book. I wouldn't have known about Alexander Pushkin otherwise. I haven't read any of his poems, but I am more willing to now to see what they are like because of this novel.

I think that they will find out that they were Egyptian royals and because of this memory drug the scientists have developed has the ability to remember so much maybe that will be the outcome. They have been reincarnated so much but are being "haunted" into remembering all their past lives. At least that is what I hope happens, it seems like a cook concept.

I do really like this book so far. I agree about the flashbacks, sometimes it is hard to remember what the flashback was once you get reading in the present with Bryan and Linz and I find myself looking back and re reading what had happened. But so far I am really liking all the intertwined stories. I think it is beautiful that Bryan paints these lives he endures, I like how the author had incorporated something so beautiful mixed with tragedy.

message 44: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin | 612 comments a little late in the day, but here are my final responses!

Discussion Questions 5th/6th September 2015, Chapters 31-47

It would make things so much more difficult- especially if you had a bad recollection. But there's also the possibility that remembering who you had once been could help your relationship...

She still died with the drug in her system, just not as much as Michael.

She was already partially remembering, so by taking the Renovo she was just helping herself gain clarity. I can understand why she would do that- only having a shadow of her memory must have been horrible. Especially since she couldn't remember who her dad was. Taking the Renovo was the only was she could feel normal around him.

I don't necessarily agree. some people will want to destroy what is not like them, but not all.

I was definitely surprised by the big reveal at the end. Wasn't expecting Finn at all.

Didn't suspect him at all. Once it was revealed it made sense though.

There must be others. We just haven't seen them yet. But all the people who seth worked with could work against Medicor too.

I really don't want there to be a sequel. I think the book is complete the way it is. I think more explanation about the powers that were used in the ancient times could water down the story- I think it's best left to our imagination.

I gave it a 4. I really liked it!

I will definitely read another book by the author- I just hope it's not a sequel.

Lisa  Moore Discussion Questions 3rd/4th September 2015, Chapters 12-30

I am really enjoying the Egyptian past lives, I know the author hasn't touched based on it a whole lot, but it is one of my favorites. I find a the life of Garnissa the most tragic.

I think that the only way those past lives can end is in tragedy. I feel that they are doomed to keep being tragic. It adds to the over all romanticism of two lovers time traveling to find each other.

I am really curious when Linz will discover her past lives. I hope that the author reveals them to the reader.

I was very happy that his mother had that past life. I think it will help the overall relationship Bryan has with his mother now that he knows that is who her past is. I thought that was a beautiful way for the author to tie that in.

Oh he absolutely is a threat. I don't feel that his daughter will stop his menacing ways, look at how many lives he has recalled and he has killed how many, I doubt his conscience will stop just because Linz is his daughter. If anything I feel it will give him more motivation to hurt her as it is revealed who she was in her past life.

It would definitely be a temptation, maybe if they could work out all the side effects then maybe I would , but I would hate to be walking along and then all of a sudden pass out and recall a past life.

Lisa  Moore Discussion Questions 5th/6th September 2015, Chapters 31-47

I would probably handle it how anyone would, by thinking I was going crazy. I think if i remembered as my killer would only help in the crazy department.

She started remembering more when she took three or four doses of the drug. She had always remembered being burned at the stake, but Diana stopped taking the drug because that had upset her so much so she didn't recall more lives, and it was only when Linz took more of the renovo that she recalled more lives.

I think just like her I would take it to help the man I loved and wanted to protect. Now if it was just to see how much and how far I could push the recalls then no I wouldn't

I do. I think that anything that goes against a belief or "normalcy", life automatically wants to do away with it. I think if renovo was real, I don't think it would do very well because it is not "normal" to remember past lives, and against some beliefs that there is a possibility of reincarnation.

I thought I had figured it all out, but that curve ball at the end messed it all up. I definitely like a good twist and I felt I got it. I did like who everyone turned out to be though.

NOPE! I thought for sure it was Conrad. I mean even his name screams rich villain! Looking back i did have a ah ha moment where I should have put it together, but just like Bryan and Linz I was tricked into thinking it was the other way around.

I think Finn for sure, but I feel that there is more then just Finn, maybe the government would want to stop them.

I think it will center around Bryan and LInz trying to find all the others. Telling his mom who she is, and around Finn. Maybe he will find a way to die and be reincarnated and we read how he grows up and is looking for Linz and Bryan.

I gave it 5 stars

I would definitely read the sequal. I would have to see what the book was about before i made that kind of commitment to reading another.

Lisa  Moore Finished 09/14/15
5 stars

The Memory Painter The Memory Painter by Gwendolyn Womack

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

beautiful and captivating take on history through a love story. if a pill was offered to you that made you remember all your past lives with clear recalls that leave you speaking languages you never even learned, along with the pain of lost love. would you take it? that is the plot that surrounds Bryan and Linz two strangers who realize that they have been lovers finding each other decades over. not only a love story but beautiful history lessons laced throughout the book. A great read that I would highly recommend.

View all my reviews