Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > Cruel Beauty, by Rosamund Hodge (Young Adult BOM) ; Start Date September 22, 2015

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod

This thread is to discuss Cruel Beauty, by Rosamund Hodge. Be prepared for spoilers.

Synopsis:
Graceling meets Beauty and the Beast in this sweeping fantasy about one girl's journey to fulfill her destiny and the monster who gets in her way-by stealing her heart.

Based on the classic fairy tale Beauty and the Beast, Cruel Beauty is a dazzling love story about our deepest desires and their power to change our destiny.

Since birth, Nyx has been betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom-all because of a foolish bargain struck by her father. And since birth, she has been in training to kill him.

With no choice but to fulfill her duty, Nyx resents her family for never trying to save her and hates herself for wanting to escape her fate. Still, on her seventeenth birthday, Nyx abandons everything she's ever known to marry the all-powerful, immortal Ignifex. Her plan? Seduce him, destroy his enchanted castle, and break the nine-hundred-year-old curse he put on her people.

But Ignifex is not at all what Nyx expected. The strangely charming lord beguiles her, and his castle—a shifting maze of magical rooms—enthralls her.

As Nyx searches for a way to free her homeland by uncovering Ignifex's secrets, she finds herself unwillingly drawn to him. Even if she could bring herself to love her sworn enemy, how can she refuse her duty to kill him? With time running out, Nyx must decide what is more important: the future of her kingdom, or the man she was never supposed to love.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 20, 2015 08:00PM) (new)

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters Pages PPDQs

Sep 22 1-4 1-62 Imke
Sep 23-24 5-12 63-162
**BREAK DAY**
Sep 26-27 13-21 163-288
Sep 28 22-26 289-342

*PPDQs = Person Posting Discussion Questions

message 4: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments I'm in and I volunteer to write a set of discussion questions.

message 5: by Dulce (new)

Dulce López  | 9 comments I'll join in :)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll join in for this discussion!

message 7: by JessicaRose (new)

JessicaRose (jesrose_life) | 7 comments Hi everyone! Going to attempt to join in on this one!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I literally just finished reading this a week ago. I should have waited another week :p

message 9: by Ally (new)

Ally (Separate Minds Book Blog) I read this a little while ago. I'm sure I'll pitch in here and there!

message 10: by *Layali* (new)

*Layali* (layalireads) | 36 comments I just started this the other day and am about 60 pages in. Very excited to discuss! :)

message 11: by Elena (new)

Elena | 9 comments I'll join in!

message 12: by Elena (new)

Elena | 9 comments Hi! I'm new in this group and I don't understand how it works... this post is to discuss the book right?
Why isn't there a chapter breakdown for "Cruel Beauty"?

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I just finished this one!! I will lurk :-)

message 14: by June (new)

June | 385 comments I will pitch with answers where I can. I read this a while ago now.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Elena wrote: "Hi! I'm new in this group and I don't understand how it works... this post is to discuss the book right?
Why isn't there a chapter breakdown for "Cruel Beauty"?"

They usually add the chapter breakdown closer to the start date.

message 16: by Angel (new)

Angel (girl_with_sense) | 4 comments I haven't read this book yet so I am glad that this is one of our book of the month. This will be my first group discussion and I can't wait to start. Hopefully I will enjoy the book too.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa  Moore I want to join on the reading of this book.

message 18: by Sonja (new)

Sonja I am in too!

message 19: by JessicaRose (new)

JessicaRose (jesrose_life) | 7 comments Wooooo!! excited for this to start!! Anyone else?

message 20: by Elena (new)

Elena | 9 comments Talia wrote: "Elena wrote: "Hi! I'm new in this group and I don't understand how it works... this post is to discuss the book right?

They usually add the..."

Talia wrote: "Elena wrote: "Hi! I'm new in this group and I don't understand how it works... this post is to discuss the book right?

They usually add the..."

Thanks!

message 21: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Schedule posted in Message 3

Please let us know if you'd like to volunteer to write discussion questions!

Imke - I've added you to the first day, just let us know if you'd prefer a different one. Thanks!

message 22: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments The first day is ok. Thank you.

message 23: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Cruel Beauty Discussion Questions Day one, Chapters 1-4 22 September 2015

1. We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?
2. What attracted you to this book, the cover or the synopsis? I have to say for me it was the cover.
3. We meet Nyx and her family. What do you think of them? Any favorites?
4. What do you make of Hermetic? Do you think it’s a religion, magic or science?
5. What do you think of the Gentle Lord? I wonder why they call him Gentle when he is supposed to be a monster or a demon?

message 24: by JessicaRose (new)

JessicaRose (jesrose_life) | 7 comments 1.We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?

Going into this book, I had no idea what to expect. I was just picking it up to do this book of the month read-along. So far, I am enjoying the book. I wasn’t really expecting the Roman/Greek mythology to be intwined in the story. I think that has been a really cool addition. I’m not sure if I am to keen on Nyx yet or not.

2. What attracted you to this book, the cover or the synopsis? I have to say for me it was the cover.

Basically, I started reading it because I wanted to participate in read-along.

I can’t say that I really like any of them. Especially, hearing about them from Nyx’s perspective. I hope we get to learn more about them. Why her father made the deal. How her Aunt plays a role in her life.

4. What do you make of Hermetic? Do you think it’s a religion, magic or science?

I think it’s both a religion and science. It seems like it may have ties to the religion/mythology in the book. But, anything involved with mythology has to have some magic it too, right?

5. What do you think of the Gentle Lord? I wonder why they call him Gentle when he is supposed to be a monster or a demon?

Hmm… Maybe as a play on words? A kind of sarcastic naming? Or, he could have been nice once and created the world they have now to save them from something. Then, he just got to big for his britches… I like that theory!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

1. We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?

This book had been on my TBR list since it came out, so I was beyond thrilled to finally read it. The beginning left me a little out of sorts, while the mythology addition was cool nothing feels fleshed out when it comes to the magic of this world. Nyx however I like, so far, she seems to be a person with flaws, that she acknowledges, and I think that it is very brave of her to continue to be nice to her sister despite her apparent dislike of her twin.

I was actually attracted to this because of a review from a friend of mine on GR, she highly recommended it and the Beauty and the Beast retelling seemed interesting.

Nyx is definitely my favorite. Her family seems more than a little dysfunctional, especially her father. What kind of parent willing chooses between their children, one to love and one to sacrifice. Her aunt is in a relationship with her dad, and her twin sister seems to be oblivious to the status of Nyx within the household. I’d actually like to read a bit more about this family in the early years of Nyx’s life, I think that would open up this story to a world of possibilities for this family.

I honestly think that it is a little of each. Hermetic is part of their religion, from what I’ve gathered about it so far, it ties into the five elements which are commonly worshiped by multiple different religions. But it sounds closer to alchemy than pure science, with that added touch of magic to tie things together. After all, there seem to be any number of things that Hermetic can do, with the right knowledge.

I suppose it could be meant to be a prelude to his real identity. I mean, since this is a beauty and the Beast retelling, that must mean that he was someone else before he turned into a demon. But then again it could also be referring to the personality change he will undergo when she breaks a curse set on him? But those are only guesses.

message 26: by Karen D (new)

Karen D | 785 comments 5. What do you think of the Gentle Lord? I wonder why they call him Gentle when he is supposed to be a monster or a demon?

This reminded me of Kim Il-Sung, or Kim Jung-Il, dictators who referred to themselves as "Great Leader" and "Dear Leader" respectively.

message 27: by Dulce (new)

Dulce López  | 9 comments 1. We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?
I think it is interesting, because of that part of Greek mythology. Another part that call my attention is the part of the demons and the magic.
I have to say that it was the synopsis. When I read that it was a kind of "the beauty and the beast" thing I definitely get caught with this book.

Well I like Nyx because she is brave, that is because she was trained; but, she demonstrate her courage by the words that she gives to her father. I think that I have to read more to create an opinion about her family, because now I see the things like Nyx, obviously.

I think that is like a combination of science and magic.

I don't know what to think about him. I just guess that he is like a human, but he became demon because he did something wrong. I supposed it because is in the line of the beauty and the beast tale.

My apologies if something is grammatically incorrect.

message 28: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Cruel Beauty Discussion Questions Day one, Chapters 1-4 22 September 2015

Some parts I seem to like but other parts get a little long winded and I find myself skimming.

The cover does look nice. I like reading the BOMs just as a way to expose myself to books I wouldn't normally read.

Her father seems rather terrible. None of the characters are very likeable right now. I kind of prefer the Gentle Lord from what I've seen so far.

It feels like lore to me.

http://www.bartleby.com/106/239.html
This was what came up when I searched for Gentle Lord. I suppose he could be a hunter of some form.

There's also a racing horse named Gentle Lord :P

message 29: by Angel (new)

Angel (girl_with_sense) | 4 comments 1. We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?
So far, I love what I read. Though what Nyx feels is tipycal since she grew up bombarded by what she will do when she rich her 17th birthday. I also like how her sister showing concern on Nyx's role and obligations.
At first, the synopsis. But when I listen to the sample here on goodreads, I know that I will like it.
Well, Nyx, her sister and Ivy.
I think it's a combination of Magic and science.
I think he is a man that has a past.

message 30: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Hey, I just got my copy, so I'm a bit behind, but I can do questions for one of the last two days if you still need it!

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen (kaydeanne) 1. We are not far into the book yet, but can you tell what you like or dislike so far? Is the book what you expected it to be?
I haven't yet a set opinion on what I like or don't so far. I'm feeling a little indifferent for the most part but the mythology was something I hadn't expected and did like. I guess there was something I did like after all.

The only thing which attracted me was knowing it was BOM book for this month when I saw a copy in the library. I had heard negative reviews so I would more likely to have bypassed it if it weren't for the BOM choice.

No favourites but it did sound like a relatively interesting family dynamic.

It sounds like a combination of magic and science to me.

He's a bit of a mystery so far and currently I'm thinking the title is an exercise in irony.

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Erin wrote: "Hey, I just got my copy, so I'm a bit behind, but I can do questions for one of the last two days if you still need it!"

Whichever day you prefer is fine. I can grab any days that don't have volunteers.

message 33: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Kelly wrote:"Whichever day you prefer is fine. I can grab any days that don..."

Ok, I"ll do the 26-27 question set

message 34: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Discussion Questions Sep 23-24
Chapters 5-12 Pages 63-162

6. When the Gentle Lord proposed his nightly name guessing it reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin. Do you think there's other similaritiies? Is there a reason he plays this game or is it just to toy with people?

7. What did you think of Damocles and his deal? Did he get what he deserved? Do you feel sorry for him at all? Do you think his name was chosen for a reason?

8. What are your thoughts on Shade? Is he the good guy in all of this? Do you think he's separate from Ignifex or somehow the same?

9. What do you think happened to Ignifex with the night and shadows? He keeps saving Nyx from doing silly things? Is he as bad as everyone else makes him out to be?

10. There seems to be a lot of Greek god name parallels in this story. Nyx is the Greek goddess of the night and apparently feared by Zeus himself. Do you think that's why she was chosen as the one to kill the Gentle Lord?

message 35: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Cruel Beauty Discussion Questions Day one, Chapters 1-4 22 September 2015

I think I'm going to like it- I love Nyx. The book isn't really what I expected. I thought it was going to be a more straightforward adaptation. The world in this book is really interesting.

I'd been hearing about this book for a while, but didn't rally know what it was about. The cover is really beautiful, it was probably a big influence.

Nyx is my favorite, her family is all pretty terrible. I know her sister is naive and it's not really her fault that she doesn't understand how horrible Nyx's situation is, but it's hard for me to like her. The rest of the family is just terrible.

It seems like a mix of all three.

Maybe it's the name he gave himself- like he told them they had to call him the Gently Lord and since he has so much power they can't ignore his order

message 36: by Dulce (new)

Dulce López  | 9 comments 6. When the Gentle Lord proposed his nightly name guessing it reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin. Do you think there's other? Is there a reason he plays this game or is it just to toy with people?

I think that is a reason. While she is guessing his name, she is knowing him. So maybe he is not what all people think he is.

7. What did you think of Damocles and his deal? Did he get what he deserved? Do you feel sorry for him at all? Do you think his name was chosen for a reason?

I think that he knows how is to make a deal with the gentle lord. He has seen what happen with people that make those deals. So he deserved it, he wasn’t the first to make a deal with the gentle lord, and he wish the dead of someone. I really feel sorry for him, but I think that he deserved it.

8. What are your thoughts on Shade? Is he the good guy in all of this? Do you think he's separate from Ignifex or somehow the same?

I think that they are the same person. I have the theory that they are the same person living in to bodies, I mean that his good and bad part got separate. In the day his bad part is ruled by a demon and is stronger but in the night his true self is stronger. So I also thing that the real name of Ignifex is the name of the prince. I don’t know is just a guessing.

9. What do you think happened to Ignifex with the night and shadows? He keeps saving Nyx from doing silly things? Is he as bad as everyone else makes him out to be?

I don’t think so, because Nyx is a kind of confused. She thinks that she loves shade, but she also is interesting in Ignifex. So I am sure that ignifex is not as bad as all the people think.

10. There seems to be a lot of Greek god name parallels in this story. Nyx is the Greek goddess of the night and apparently feared by Zeus himself. Do you think that's why she was chosen as the one to kill the Gentle Lord?

I think that it’s more a family thing. But it has sense so I don’t know it could be.

message 37: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Discussion Questions Sep 23-24

6. When the Gentle Lord proposed his nightly name guessing it reminded me of Rumpelstiltskin. Do you think there's other similaritiies? Is there a reason he plays this game or is it just to toy with people?

It might be just a game, but maybe there's some curse/magic on Ignifex and if someone guesses his name the curse is lifted?

I feel sorry for him because he's trying to protect someone he loves. But he also ignored Nyx when she was trying to help him.

I thought he was a good guy at first, but I can never really trust that in these type of books. I don't think Nyx should trust him too much.

I don't think he's as bad as everyone thinks. I think there's something worse out there- if there's something that can hurt him he probably isn't the biggest bad guy

I didn't know that about the goddess Nyx- that's really interesting. I don't know what it means, but it's really interesting.

message 38: by Sarye (new)

Sarye To me this book has a pretty slow start. Like the first part that we discussed here I ws just reading to get to the next. Nyx hates/loves her sister but how can she be blamed? Of course she's not courageous enough to take Nyx place but neither is she the one to blame for her destiny.

Than the second part enchanted me! I absolutely loved Shade and Ignifex is pretty interesting too.

Let's see how it goes from here.

message 39: by Elena (new)

Elena | 9 comments Discussion questions sep 22
I really like the book so far. I think the part of Greek mythology is the most interesting. I'm reading in English so I've some problems with the difficult vocabulary used by the author. I wish it had been easier.

I love the cover! It's very gorgeous. But I try not to judge a book by the cover. I mainly picked it up for the Reading Challenge.

I don't like any of them. The father and the aunt of Nyx are so cold and haughty, they really don't care about Nyx. I can't stand the sister... she doesn't do anything wrong but maybe she could have been more sad about Nyx's departure. She sings and laughs too much.

I don't know. It can be a religion,magic and science at the same time

He's a monster but he's got his reasons, I hope. Maybe they call them Gentle because they don't want to disappoint a powerful and scary man.

Sorry if I'm slow but I'm reading in a foreign language!

message 40: by Sarye (new)

Sarye Elena wrote: "Sorry if I'm slow but I'm reading in a foreign language! "

What language?

message 41: by Imke (new)

Imke (immie75) | 1642 comments Discussion Questions Sep 23-24

I'm not very familiar with Rumpelstiltskin, but with the name guessing it was the first thing I thought of. I don't think this is a game for the Gentle Lord, there is more to it. I think it is a way to free him or herself from a curse.

Not sure if he deserved his fate, but he did cause an other man's death. I think his name is very appropriate. I don't feel sorry for him, he made his choice I feel sorry for the girl who he did this for.

I don't think he is the hero of the story, there is a reason why he is Ignifex's shadow/slave. I think they are somehow connected, maybe two halves of a whole.

Maybe he is attacted by the things he does to the people he bargains with. Why does Nyx keep doing those things. I think he has some good sides, just as Nyx has her bad sides. She is not very nice either a lot of the time.

Maybe, I like the explanation the Gentle Lord gives. That because she looks like her father she has to pay for his mistakes.

message 42: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Discussion Questions Sep 26-27
Chapters 13-21 Pages 163-288

11. We learn alot of new information about the Gentle Lord in this section. Nyx seems to be warming up to him- are you finding him more sympathetic too?

12. I really like the interactions between Iginfex and Nyx, even when they're getting along it seems like they are trying to out maneuver each other- especially with the key snatching scenes. Are you liking the way their relationship is portrayed?

13. It turn out that Shade was responsible for several of the wives' deaths. Were you surprised to find out that he might not be a good guy? What do you think his role in the story is?

14. Nyx learns something about Ignifex from the Heart of Fire, but then she forgets it- all she knows is that it is a "horrible truth." What do you think it could be?

15. What do you think about how Astraia has changed since Nyx has been gone? Do you think it was fair for her to criticize Nyx?

16. Killing Iginfex could destroy their whole kingdom. Astraia thinks it's worth the risk- do you agree?

message 43: by Dulce (new)

Dulce López  | 9 comments 11. We learn a lot of new information about the Gentle Lord in this section. Nyx seems to be warming up to him- are you finding him more sympathetic too?
Well, as I said previously. I think he is not as bad as the people in the book used to say. He actually didn't know why he has to do all the things that he do, because he don't remember.

12. I really like the interactions between Iginfex and Nyx, even when they're getting along it seems like they are trying to out maneuver each other- especially with the key snatching scenes. Are you liking the way their relationship is portrayed?
I liked this relationship to, because until they are "enemies" the only that really knows Nyx and accepted her is Ignifex. Is interesting because supposedly he is the bad guy

13. It turn out that Shade was responsible for several of the wives' deaths. Were you surprised to find out that he might not be a good guy? What do you think his role in the story is?
Well I get a little confused because, I think they were the same person. But now I don't know what to think about shade. Maybe he is the one who works to the gentle lords, and Ignifex is the prince. In the other hand he try to show the truth to Nyx so that's why I am a little bit confused.

14. Nyx learns something about Ignifex from the Heart of Fire, but then she forgets it- all she knows is that it is a "horrible truth." What do you think it could be?
I think it is that shade and Ignfex are the same person or is that shade is the bad guy.

15. What do you think about how Astraia has changed since Nyx has been gone? Do you think it was fair for her to criticize Nyx?
I really don't trust her, because its supposed that Nyx is her sister. If she care abut Nyx she Wont ask her to kill the one that she loves. I think that when you really love someone that hurt you, especially your family, your are going to apologized them without conditions.

16. Killing Iginfex could destroy their whole kingdom. Astraia thinks it's worth the risk- do you agree?
I think she is blind by the wish of avenge her mother.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Discussion Questions Sep 26-27
Chapters 13-21 Pages 163-288

11. We learn alot of new information about the Gentle Lord in this section. Nyx seems to be warming up to him- are you finding him more sympathetic too?
I always found him the most likable character. The others are annoying since they're so duplicitous.

It seems like he's the only one who is nice to her at all and yet she seems to trust everyone else. I don't know why she wants to give all the power to the guy who tried to kill her rather than the one who keeps trying to save her.

He seemed a bit too smooth to me to be the good guy. It seemed like he was trying to trick his way into power.

I think it's what would happen if Shade ruled. Since the Kindly ones mentioned it was "mostly" what she had learned. I think they're playing tricks.

She seems mean. It makes me wonder if she was just playing Nyx the whole time.

I think it sounds like she's acting on no information what so ever and is making terrible decisions.

Ooo. So I have something interesting. I was looking for Astraia's name and came up with this wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astraea... who is "the virgin goddess of Innocence and purity and is always associated with the Greek goddess of justice". But it also says "She is not to be confused with Asteria" and for Asteria I get: "ASTERIA was the Titan goddess (perhaps) of the oracles and prophecies of night, including prophetic dreams, the reading of the stars (astrology), and necromancy."

So I wonder if the name was mixed between the two of them because she was really the night necromancy but hidden behind the innocence and purity that she started with.

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Discussion Questions Sep 28
Chapters 22-26 Pages 289-342

17. What did you think of the ending? Did you guess the truth about Ignifex and Shade?

18. What do you think of the parallels between the two instances of the world? Does it mean that everyone is destined to be a certain way?

19. What did you rate the book?

20. The authors bio states:
My debut novel is CRUEL BEAUTY, a YA fairytale fantasy where Greek mythology meets Beauty and the Beast. My next novel is CRIMSON BOUND (5/5/15), where Little Red Riding Hood meets... many strange things.
Do you think the description is accurate for this book? Do you plan to read any other books by her?

message 46: by Dulce (new)

Dulce López  | 9 comments 17. What did you think of the ending? Did you guess the truth about Ignifex and Shade?
At the beginning I guess, but then I get a little confused an change my opinion. I really like it, especially when all the things in her old life change. I was interesting.

18. What do you think of the parallels between the two instances of the world? Does it mean that everyone is destined to be a certain way?
It was a very interesting kind of view. In the book maybe they were destiny but even there she change that, freeing the prince Lux. I don't believe in destiny.

I rated it with 4 stars

My debut novel is CRUEL BEAUTY, a YA fairytale fantasy where Greek mythology meets Beauty and the Beast. My next novel is CRIMSON BOUND (5/5/15), where Little Red Riding Hood meets... many strange things.
Do you think the description is accurate for this book? Do you plan to read any other books by her?
Yes. Maybe if there is another book that call my attention, this one was good, so I expect good things in her other book.

message 47: by Erin (new)

Erin | 608 comments Discussion Questions Sep 28
Chapters 22-26 Pages 289-342

17. What did you think of the ending? Did you guess the truth about Ignifex and Shade?

I didn't love the ending. It seemed a little to simple- wipe the slate clean and start over. It all seemed a little convenient. Towards the end I started to suspect that Shade and Ignifex were probably part of the same person, but I wasnt sure.

I did like that- that people are who they are regardless of circumstances. Really only the sister eas very different because in this version of the world she didn't feel the need to seem happy all the time to make her family feel better.

I gave it three stars- I liked most of it, I just thought the ending was rushed.

Yeah, it's pretty accurate. I think I'll probably check out Crimson Bound- I like new versions of old tales!