What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Novel or short story? Person follows dead explorer's notes seeking Himalayan blue poppy (but magical?) (Yr's Best Fantasy/Horror?)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 30 comments I read, sometime between no and back in the late 90s, a short story or novel, I'm not sure which, about a modern(?) person (a woman?) who follows the notes of a dead explorer from some time in the past (a man; her ancestor? Possibly gay?) and his trials in North Asia seeking the Himalayan type blue poppy. Or else his search eventually became about that. But purportedly about a mystical, more elusive flower. (Was the elusive flower green?) I think the old-time explorer guy became very ill at one point. Maybe he died in the mountains of Tibet. The modern woman? pursues his course through his writings and, I think - ? - physically as well. Oh, this may be way off. But I loved it. Beautifully written. As elusive as the flower in question. I miss it and my brain itches. HELP!

message 3: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39287 comments Mod
Rook, was Kris's suggestion your book or are you still looking?

message 4: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 30 comments I'm still looking. I suspect the story was reprinted in one of Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow's Year's Best Fantasy and Horror collections, but can't confirm.

message 5: by Kris (new)

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 184 comments Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. totally out of left field, but first thing that came to mind.

message 7: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35142 comments Mod
Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins - stormhawk's suggestion

[on hiatus] The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1528 comments Are you still looking for this one?

message 9: by Rook (new)

Rook McNamara (rookling) | 30 comments Yes, I am!