SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

General Discussion > When you need a breath of fresh air, what's your alternate genre?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 15 comments While urban & paranormal series are my go-to reads, sometimes the storylines wear thin or I just can't find a book that piques my interest, so I go out of genre for a bit. Curious about what the rest of you do when this happens & looking for great recommendations for the next time...
So share a recent series you picked up and liked when venturing slightly out of the box genre-wise...
I'll start, recently started the JJ Graves series by Liliana Hart. mystery/romantic suspense

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments I also have to switch it up from time to time. I love PNR but I enjoy a good contemporary romance and well written historic romance. These are the main genres I read but I'm sure others have slipped in here and there.

Some non-PNR gems I have found:
Archer's Voice, Mia Sheridan - CR standalone
Tangled series, Emma Chase - CR (H pov = hysterical)
Outlander series, Diana Gabaldon - HR/time travel
Highland Pleasures series, Jennifer Ashley - HR (1st book is my favorite so far)
Transcendence, Shay Savage - HR/time travel/utterly unique and amazing! standalone

You are welcome to read my (spoilers hidden) reviews. You can find these and others in my favorites folder.

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 740 comments For me, its the cozy mysteries, especially the ones with animals. Usually there is a slight paranormal tint to the story but not always.

Occasionally, I'll read sci-fi romance, dystopian, and steampunk.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments I have several steampunk books on my TBR shelf but haven't read one yet. Should pick one next time I need a change. I've wanted to read some cozy mysteries, too. So many books, so little time...

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 740 comments Michelle Saunders wrote: "So many books, so little time..."

Truer words were never spoken. :)

message 6: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 665 comments UF has become my main genre these days, with scifi, fantasy, YA, cozy mysteries, steampunk, and Jane Austen-esque (retellings, alternatives, Jane Austen mysteries) all adding a bit of spice in between.

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments LOVE Austenesque books. I read several of them but have gotten away from that genre recently. It may be time to check my TBR shelf for a new one.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments Have you read Sharon Lathan's Darcy Saga series? Really liked that one. Linda Wells is another favorite Austenesque author.

message 9: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new)

Steph (angel4492) | 28164 comments When I need a PNR/UF break, I tend to grab romantic suspense and erotic romances - some military, some dark. After 1-2 of those, I'm usually ready to return to my fave genres.

message 10: by Raquel (Rocki) (new)

Raquel (Rocki) (raquelgabrielle) | 914 comments my go to if i tire of PR or UF is YA, Fantasy or Romance.

message 11: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 15 comments Thanks for the list Michelle, will totally check those out...

message 12: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 15 comments ooh, Cristina I have been looking for a good streamlining recommendation with a strong mystery plotline. Any thoughts? Read a couple in the past loaned by a friend who enjoys that genre and found them a refreshing change of pace.

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 279 comments I tend to alternate between cozy mystery and paranormal. Janet evanovich and her numbers books are funny escapes almost like slapstick comedy. But there are a ton of good cozies out there!

message 14: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments I read Sci-Fi Romances, Erotic Romances or grab an In Death book by J.D. Robb - futuristic cop dramas that are fabulous.

message 15: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 665 comments I have read a couple of Sharon Lathan titles, also Amanda Grange. My current Austen-esque indulgences are the Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron. First book-Jane and the Unpleasantness at Scargrave Manor Sheer delights!

And for a PNR twist on P&P, A Touch of Night.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments ladymurmur wrote: "I have read a couple of Sharon Lathan titles, also Amanda Grange. My current Austen-esque indulgences are the Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron. First book-[book:Jane and the Unpleasantness..."

Austenesque PNR?! I will definitely check those out! Thank you!

message 17: by Leena (new)

Leena Maria (leenamaria) | 1 comments Egyptological books. And the other way around. When I am tired of research and writing, I turn to historical mystery and fantasy books. And when I have given enough food for my imagination, I return to the academic research - and writing projects of my own.

message 18: by Pam (new)

Pam (psteinke) | 35 comments I like Billionaires or Royalty when I take a break from PNR and UF

message 19: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 595 comments I haven't been in a big UF/PNR mood these past weeks, but when that happens I usually go to Contemporary Romance or Chick-Lit, opr occasionally different mystery genres (mostly Romantic Suspense though).

I recently discovered this series:
Wait for You by J.Lynn Wait for You - (I quickly breezed through the first 3 books in the series, and all turned out to be great. They're really hot college romances).

Other series that I so far enjoy that aren't PNR/UF:
In Death by J.D. Robbs (currently read the first 7 books)
Cocktails by Alice Clayton (Wallbanger)
Outlander by Diane Gabaldon (Only read the first 2 books. They're so long, so it takes a little persuasion to get started on these)
The Sullivans by Bella Andre (I only read the first one, but that was just my cup of tea)
Cormoran Strike by Robert Galbraith (Thriller/Mystery)
Department Q - Jussi Adler-Olsen (Thriller/Mystery)

There are probably more that I've currently forgotten, but

message 20: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 145 comments When I need a break from PNR, I often pick up a cozy mystery or nonfiction. Beading is one of my hobbies, and I really enjoy books on bead embroidery; so I have several I'll reread for inspiration. I also like nonfiction. I just finished reading The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough which was excellent.

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments So, I read a post by one of my favorite authors, Elizabeth Hunter, that announced she's releasing a book that is in the Gothic Romance genre. I am so excited about that -- she's an excellent writer and I know it'll be worth the (long -- October!) wait.

While I wait, I want to read some Gothic Romance now. I've been searching GR and Amazon and I've found a few books that sound interesting. I know PNR and Gothic Romance genres tend to overlap a bit but I'm looking for something... different. Anyone here have suggestions? I'm not looking for a YA book; found lots of those during my search. Really looking for an adult or new adult book, definitely romance, maybe with some 18+ situations.

message 22: by Sandra, Kindle Operator Licence Required (new)

Sandra | 23482 comments So Gothic, would be Victorian era books?

I know Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) wrote a couple and from memory one of the heroines was writing a gothic romance which was serialized in the local newspaper.

With This Ring (Vanza, #1) by Amanda Quick

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (quill_n_ink) | 37 comments Sandra wrote: "So Gothic, would be Victorian era books?

I know Amanda Quick (Jayne Ann Krentz) wrote a couple and from memory one of the heroines was writing a gothic romance which was serialized in the local ne..."

TY! I like the description so I have added it to my TBR shelf.

I found author Jane Godman; read first book of her Jago Legacy series. Exactly what I was looking for. I'll read more of her books.

message 24: by Sonja (new)

Sonja Something just contemporary and romantic

message 25: by Brooke (new)

Brooke  (brookeluvsbooks) | 25 comments I like YA thrillers or boarding school books just to give me a break from all kinds of fantasy worlds :)

message 26: by Sam (new)

Sam | 1011 comments When I need a break from UF/PNR, I tend to go to YA or cozy mysteries. I'm currently reading some YA books now that I have been enjoying (The Magisterium series and the Paladin Prophecy series).

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (felinefan) I read lots of different books but alongside PNR/UF I also look out for the genealogical mystery books of Steve Robinson and Nathan Dylan Goodwin. I also like historical novels.

message 28: by Janette (last edited Sep 26, 2018 03:20PM) (new)

Janette Yates | 14 comments I love PNR and I tend to read only series, N. Singh Psy/Changlings, Lyndsay Sands Argeneau vampire/immortals series and many more.
But sometimes, I have a craving for other, right now it is thrillers, and series or at least the same author who writes similar books. At this moment Steve Alten. It is ironic that I wanted to read his Meg series and then the movie came out. I have read only the first three books, so have bought the next one.
Slowly buying up Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's F.B.I. Agent Pendergast series so I can read the whole series, or at least the first three or four. They have another series, can't remember the name, I have the 1st, 3rd and 5th, so need to get book two and four and others of that series.
Murder mysteries is another one that I enjoy reading, Peter Benchley is one I read who doesn't do series. Michael Crichton is one I read who doesn't do long series.