The Challenge Factory discussion

♦TCF Monopoly Archives♦ > TCF Monopoly Boston Kate vs Joyce

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments

Roll Dice

Monopoly Rules

• You do not need to wait for the other player to finish reading before you take your next turn. As soon as you're done reading, go ahead and roll.
• Each property is represented by a shelf. For each grouping of shelves/properties you would read a certain amount of books from that shelf. Once you finish the amount of books you would then “Own” that shelf.
• If you land on an “owned” shelf you would have to read a certain amount of books above what the owner had to read.
• If one person “owns” all of the books in a group (think Mediterranean and Baltic) and another player lands on their properties they would be able to recommend at least one of the books that the player has to read.
Utilities – For the Electric Company – Read a book where the characters have electric chemistry. For Water Works – Read a book that makes you cry. Books have to be 150 pages or more.
• If a player lands on an “Owned” utility, then the owner will recommend a book with electric chemistry or that makes them cry.
Railroads – For Reading Railroad – Read whatever you want. For Pennsylvania Railroad – Read a book set in Pennsylvania. For B&O Railroad – Read a book that someone else thought stunk. For Short Line – Read a novella. Page minimum 150 for all but Short Line. 25 page minimum for the novella.
• If a player lands on an “owned” railroad, the owner will recommend a book for that specific railroad.
Chance and Community Chest – there are 12 cards for each. If a player lands on one of those spots they will roll the dice a second time and then would “pull” the corresponding card and do whatever it says on the card. Once a card is used, it will be out of play unless needed to finish the game. Books for this would need to be at least 150 pages.
Being in Jail – To get out of jail you would need to have one of the get out of jail free cards, roll doubles on one of your next three turns or read a book where a character is arrested or has been in jail. Books for this would need to be 150 pages or more.
Just Visiting – Read a novella of your choice, 50 page minimum
Free Parking – Read any book 100 pages or more
Go – Read any book of 200 pages or more
Luxury Tax/Income Tax – Read a book with a rich character, a really poor character or someone that works in a bank. 150 pages or more
• Each roll, you'll post your starting spot, the roll and your new spot on the board.
• When you finish your book you'll post the spot your on, book name, rating, when it was finished and a short review of the book. If you were supposed to read a book that had a specific element (water works utility, book that made you cry), then please mention that in the review.
• Re-reads are allowed.

Link to Frequently Asked Game Questions

message 2: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Property/Shelves

Mediterranean Avenue - Favorites Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Baltic Avenue - Fiction Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

Oriental Avenue - 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Vermont Avenue - Wishlist Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Connecticut Avenue - Books I Own Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. Charles Place - Ebooks Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
States Avenue - Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Virginia Avenue - Book Club Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.

St. James Place - Reviewed - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Tennessee Avenue - 2012 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
New York Avenue - Must Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Kentucky Avenue - 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Indiana Avenue - 5 Stars - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Illinois Avenue - Re-Read Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.

Atlantic Avenue - 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Ventnor Avenue - Library Books - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Marvin Gardens - Recommended Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Pacific Avenue - Stand Alone Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
North Carolina Avenue - Love Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Pennsylvania Avenue - Part of a Series Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.

Park Place - Never Finished Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.
Boardwalk - DNF Shelf - Must read 3 book to own. Must read 5 books if the property is owned.

message 3: by Paris (new)

Paris (pah13) | 4285 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it.
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 4: by Joyce (last edited Sep 22, 2015 07:39PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments Community Chest

2. Get out of Jail Free
3. Holiday Fund Matures - Read a Holiday themed book.
4. Yes Sir! - Read a book with a bossy character.
5. Go Directly to Jail
6. Laugh Riot - Read a book that makes you laugh.
7. Go Forward 3 Spaces
8. Fight Night - Read a book with a fight in it.
9. Advanced to St. Charles Place
10. You Inherit $100 - Read a book that was given to you or with a character in it that has inherited something.
11. Pay the Hospital - Read a book that takes place in a hospital or where someone goes to the hospital.
12. You've won a beauty contest - Read a book where a character is considered beautiful.

Chance

2. Advance to Illinois Ave
3. Fright Night - Read a book that scares you.
4. Get out of Jail Free
5. Play Ball - Read a book with a sports theme or athlete in it.
6. Go to Jail JOYCE
7. Sing A Long - Read a book with a musician
8. Go Back 3 Spaces JOYCE
9. Warm & Fuzzy - Read a book that makes you feel warm & fuzzy or that has a pet in it. JOYCE
10. It's Your Birthday - Read a book you got for your birthday or where someone celebrates their birthday.
11. Great Job! - Read a book where the main characters works for a living.
12. Pay For School - Read a book that takes place in a school or where someone goes to school.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Mar 16, 2016 05:15AM) (new)

Emily A list of all the Property. I'll mark it off when someone owns it. This should make it easier to keep track as we get further into the game.

Property

Mediterranean Avenue
Baltic Avenue

Oriental Avenue - owned by BOSTON KATE
Vermont Avenue
Connecticut Avenue

St. Charles Place - owned by JOYCE
States Avenue - owned by BOSTON KATE
Virginia Avenue

St. James Place - owned by JOYCE
Tennessee Avenue
New York Avenue

Kentucky Avenue - owned by BOSTON KATE
Indiana Avenue
Illinois Avenue

Atlantic Avenue
Ventnor Avenue - owned by JOYCE
Marvin Gardens - owned by JOYCE

Pacific Avenue
North Carolina Avenue
Pennsylvania Avenue

Park Place
Boardwalk

Electric Company
Water Works

Reading Railroad
Pennsylvania Railroad
B&O Railroad
Short Line

message 6: by Emily (last edited Mar 16, 2016 05:24AM) (new)

Emily The dice roll website is back up, so I'll roll first, if you don't mind. :)

Roll 1: 6 (3,3)
Square: Oriental Avenue - unowned
Requirement: 2013 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Chosen book to read: City of Bones (page 1)
Finished 10/9/15

I now own Oriental Avenue

Roll 2: 7 (6,1)
Square: States Avenue - unowned
Requirement: Maybe Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 2 books if the property is owned.
Chosen book to read: I'll Give You the Sun (page 3)
Finished 11/3/15

I now own States Avenue

Roll 3: 8 (5,3)
Square: Kentucky Avenue - unowned
Requirement: 2011 Shelf - Must read 1 book to own. Must read 3 books if the property is owned.
Chosen book to read: The Art of Racing in the Rain (page 2)
Finished 3/15/16

I now own Kentucky Avenue

Roll 4: 5 (1,4)
Square: Atlantic Avenue - unowned
Requirement: 2010 Shelf - Must read 2 book to own. Must read 4 books if the property is owned.
Chosen books to read:
Her Fearful Symmetry (page 1)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (page 7)

message 7: by Joyce (last edited Nov 04, 2015 07:30PM) (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments Roll 1: (6+1) 7
Square: Chance
rolled a (1+5) 6
Square: In Jail
1st Roll: 3+3 Out of Jail
Rolled 6+4 =10
Square: Free Parking read any book 100 pages or more
Book: Happily Never After Finished 8/18/15

Roll 2: 3+6=9
Square: Marvin Gardens: Recommended Books need to 2 own
book 1: The Girl on the Train Finished 9/2/15 **** I enjoyed this very much. It kept me into it until the end.
Book 2: Sunshine Finished 8/24/15
This sort of dragged a bit. It was good but not great.

I now own Marvin Gardens.

Roll 3: 5+ 6 = 11
Moved to Square : Go Read any book 200 pages or more.
Book to Read:A Canticle for Leibowitz finished 9/6/15.

Roll 4: 5+2=7
Moved to Square: Chance
rolled-2+6=8 - go back 3 squares - landed on Income Tax - book: Agent to the Stars Characters are celebrities Finished 9/7/15

Roll 5: 2+5=7
Square: St Charles Place
Book:Turn Coat Finished 9/12/15

I now own St. Charles Place

Roll 6: 1+4=5
moved to Square: St. James place
book:Changes Finished 9/20/15

I now own St. James Place

Roll 7: 1+ 5=6
moved to Square: Chance Roll:4+5=9 Warm and Fuzzy or a Pet in book.
Book: Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files Finished 9/28/15

Roll 8: 3+2=5
moved to square: Ventor Ave. Library need two books

Paranormalcy Finished 10/4/15
Frozen Heat Finished 11/1/15

I now own Ventor Avenue

Roll 9:5+6= 11
moved to space-Park place: Never Finished Shelf need 3 books to own

American Gods
Insurgent
The Girl Who Played with Fire
The Iron King
Cryptonomicon

message 8: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments i read the discussion about being in jail. you can roll once more once you are in jail and twice more the next day if you don't get doubles. if you don't get doubles in those three rolls you need tto do the book option. so im going to roll again

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily Haha. You had an eventful first roll. At least you got out of jail right away. :)

message 10: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments Yes that was great. City of Bones was a good book. Hope you are enjoying it.

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily I have one book I need to finish up before I can start it, but I should start by the weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm curious to hear what you think of The Girl on the Train. I liked it, but I know a lot of people who didn't, for various reasons.

message 12: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments Boston Kate wrote: "I have one book I need to finish up before I can start it, but I should start by the weekend. I'll let you know what I think.

I'm curious to hear what you think of The Girl on the Train. I liked i..."

Yes I've heard mixed reviews. I'm going to listen to the audiobook.

message 13: by Emily (new)

Emily Wow! You're cruising along there! I need to get on mine!

I had a few books out from the library, or for other challenges, that I had to finish before I could get to mine. Going to try and get it finished soon! Can't let you beat me! Haha.

message 14: by Emily (new)

Emily Finally own my first piece of property!

I'm going to try to be better. It's not even that I wasn't reading - it's just that I kept having to push this book to the back burner for library books or other challenges.

message 15: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments that's ok. I am in the process of moving across the country so I might not be around the next couple of weeks. so you have time to catch up LOL

message 16: by Emily (new)

Emily Joyce wrote: "that's ok. I am in the process of moving across the country so I might not be around the next couple of weeks. so you have time to catch up LOL"

Excellent. Haha. Good luck with the move!

message 17: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 581 comments ok I'm finally back. I'm on park place

message 18: by Emily (new)

Emily Hope the move went well!